Crazy Idea for a new stadium that will get laughed at.

BornandRaised

wheres the profit? who in buffalo can afford to pay $10,000 PSL fees and tickets over 100$/game to cover the bill. Or they could just raise taxes in WNY to foot the bill. :lol:

Details Details...I just have the vision. Someone else can figure out how to pay for it. :lol:

Or potentially, the business that we get to open up shop to build the thing for green tech would help with tickets.(the employees with new jobs would pay more for them) Bob Congel is pushing a similar concept with Destiny USA mall in Syracuse. Make this mall be a green benazza (sp?) and get all the companies showcasing their tech at the mall in a big green buisiness park and make Sryacase the green silicon valley of the east. Lets steal that idea and do it in Buffalo. I am sick of hearing how crappy western NY is, small market, no money, no buisiness. Drives me nuts.

Easy access from Canada would also help. Don't ask me how to figure out the crossing the boarder thing if the stadium is technically half way between Canada and the US. Would people going to stadium have to pass through customs of both countries for example?

We would host the bowl for sure.

Interesting idea, but what about one thing Buffalo/Canada is never short of? ICE. I would worry about ice flows hitting stuff, and the cooling, heating, cooling thing. I would also worry about some soft of disaster/terror event. That's a whole lot of people stuck in one place.

But, it would certainly be cool. :lol: If they could solve all the engineering problems, it might even work. But, that's a very, very big IF. You're right about one thing, it would certainly be an icon. While I have real problems believing in the veracity of man-made global warming(nobody has been very convincing, and "because I said so" doesn't count with me), there's no reason not to do green stuff if it makes sense economically.

Yeah I see the point. As for Terror, probably not much more risk than OP stadium. Sure they can come by boat, put you put something in place to keep boats from getting close enough. As for ICE, thinking about the tech they are working on for building a bridge between alaska and Russia. http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engin...nteractive.html

Concrete piers have a flare to them so they act like an upsidedown ice breaker. Moving ice would be lifted up and break under its own weight.

As for global warming, man made or not, I don't think anyone can dispute the accelerated ice loss at the poles. Whether man caused it or not, do we let nature takes its coarse if sea level is going to rise a bunch?

On the other hand, let it happen, then Lake Erie won't freeze over and we can use cheaper concrete in this project. :lol:

Yeah I see the point. As for Terror, probably not much more risk than OP stadium. Sure they can come by boat, put you put something in place to keep boats from getting close enough. As for ICE, thinking about the tech they are working on for building a bridge between alaska and Russia. http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engin...nteractive.html

Concrete piers have a flare to them so they act like an upsidedown ice breaker. Moving ice would be lifted up and break under its own weight.

As for global warming, man made or not, I don't think anyone can dispute the accelerated ice loss at the poles. Whether man caused it or not, do we let nature takes its coarse if sea level is going to rise a bunch?

On the other hand, let it happen, then Lake Erie won't freeze over and we can use cheaper concrete in this project. :rolleyes:

It could be done and won't, nice idea though.

2 problems I can think of: Buffalo is the 2nd least sunny (semi large city in the USofA, so solar isn't such a great idea) and there is no good hotel space for a SB there. All the other problems could fairly easily be worked out at a pretty decent price I would guess.

Might be worth shopping around to Jim Kelly's friends :(

At least YOUR thinking! Personally I think you put right out there on Lake Ontairo so people from Rochester, Buffalo and TO, can get there easily. Call it "Nowhere" and build many bridges to it.

I think they should build a new stadium in that quarry you can see from I90 near Batavia that is open enough on the ends to make the sheer rock walls visible and that is sunken low enough withing the quarry so the rock walls on the sides are visible rising above the upper deck.

The name? the Rockpile of course

It would also be substantially closer to Rochester, Syracuse, Utica and Albany as compared to Orchard Park.

I have been watching Modern Marvels with my son on History channel and we recently saw a show on building suspension bridges. Got me thinking about a new stadium that might put Buf on the map world wide. Basically put a stadium up in the water in lake Erie. Near the intake to the Niagara River, visible from Downtown Buffalo and Canada. Build some covered glass tubes with that people mover technology they have at Disney to get people from Canada and Buffalo to the stadium. Let them come by boat as well. Stadium would be on concrete pillars like a bridge. You could put the bass pro on the same sight. Use some nice wind turbines and solar to make the thing self sustaining. Open a technology park to bring the technology to the city for all this stuff to bring JOBs. Like a green business park. These guys can showcase the technology at the stadium. Toss anything at it Green you can think of. Would be very cool and we could get Canada to invest as well. Probably dumb idea.

Actually - it is vision like this that is needed. I bet the guys who built Las Vegas into what it is as well as Walt Disney would not consider it far fetched. It is structurally tough, but probably just as importantly, questionable due to the shared border - would everyone attending a game need a passport or greencard?

Pretty cool idea actually. What you save on the cost of land would probably not cover the cost of pilings in the lake. Also where would people park?

My thought would be to tear down some of that lakefront steal leftover stuff just over the skyway and make it into the parking/people mover departure place/fan zone etc for the new stadium. You could develop that area with some unique attraction as well.

Actually - it is vision like this that is needed. I bet the guys who built Las Vegas into what it is as well as Walt Disney would not consider it far fetched. It is structurally tough, but probably just as importantly, questionable due to the shared border - would everyone attending a game need a passport or greencard?

Yeah so this is where you need to make it work with Homeland and Canadian boarder officials. Just like entering the stadium, you are searched before getting in the tubes to be people moved over. So smuggling would be no issue. Someone might enter the game on Canadian side and leave via the us side without being interviewed by a customer agent so that is a downer. However, lets face it, it is pretty dang easy for someone to get into USA via Canada if they really want to.

I think they should build a new stadium in that quarry you can see from I90 near Batavia that is open enough on the ends to make the sheer rock walls visible and that is sunken low enough withing the quarry so the rock walls on the sides are visible rising above the upper deck.

The name? the Rockpile of course

It would also be substantially closer to Rochester, Syracuse, Utica and Albany as compared to Orchard Park.

As I currently live in the CUS, this would be good for travel time for me but as I grew up in Buffalo, I am interested in the idea of building something unique to the World right on the waterfront in Buffalo.