Solid wood vs veneer interior doors

Mr Info

We are building a house and have the flexibility with our builder to choose many of the particulars of our house. We are replicating a Victorian house in a historical district.

The next decision we have to make is on the interior doors. We are evaluating using solid hardwood doors vs. a solid core door with veneer. Most likely we will use cherry. We have already obtained most of the hardware for the doors (1877 cast iron steeple hinges, glass knobs, thumbturns, etc.) and we will supply it to whomever we choose as the manufacturer.

The issues that appear with solid wood pertain to the potential of panel movement in the doors due to shrinkage/swelling, etc. The other is the potential of non-uniformity of the grain/color. Most likely, we will pre-finish the doors with a slightly darker stain than the natural wood so that should minimize the grain/color differences.

The veneer/solid core would allow a more uniform look to the all of the doors and minimize any panel shifting.

Any interior door experts out there? Thanks

Picture gallery of the construction

Not an expert on interior doors, but more then welcome to add my .02 cents. I'm gessing that the solid wood doors are way more expensive than the other. There is one advantage, unless cost is not a factor. Secondly, I think you will get less movement of the wood with solid core door. Good luck.

Wow, cool house!!

I would think the solid core doors will be more stable, if you were doinga restoration the wood doors would be a must, but since it's a new build, I would go with the solid core.

Good luck!

Wood doors would be more authentic. The shifting of the panels depends on the way the door is manufactured and the humidity, temperature, etc.

One of the beautiful things about real wood doors is something that people often consider a detriment - the differences in coloring you get when you have real wood.

We are building a house and have the flexibility with our builder to choose many of the particulars of our house. We are replicating a Victorian house in a historical district.

The next decision we have to make is on the interior doors. We are evaluating using solid hardwood doors vs. a solid core door with veneer. Most likely we will use cherry. We have already obtained most of the hardware for the doors (1877 cast iron steeple hinges, glass knobs, thumbturns, etc.) and we will supply it to whomever we choose as the manufacturer.

The issues that appear with solid wood pertain to the potential of panel movement in the doors due to shrinkage/swelling, etc. The other is the potential of non-uniformity of the grain/color. Most likely, we will pre-finish the doors with a slightly darker stain than the natural wood so that should minimize the grain/color differences.

The veneer/solid core would allow a more uniform look to the all of the doors and minimize any panel shifting.

Any interior door experts out there? Thanks

Picture gallery of the construction

79234[/snapback]

If you are looking for raised panels, and period chamfering, I'd think you would have to go to solid doors. Pricey. As you mention, dimensional stability is less that modern veneered composites. I've got a mid 50's house with composites faced with maple, finished to a medium honey. The maple facing is by nature quite resistant to bangs and dents. But just flat panel - no detail work.

Regarding non-uniformity, well, that can be charming - or not. I'd recomment consulting manufacturers such as Minwax or Formsby's for guidelines regarding stain resin choice, use of a grain sealer, etc.

Not an expert on interior doors, but then welcome to add my .02 cents. I'm gessing that the solid wood doors are way more expensive than the other. There is one advantage, unless cost is not a factor. Secondly, I think you will get less movement of the wood with solid core door. Good luck.

79245[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, the solid wood is only about 15% more than the veneer/solid core so cost is not that much an issue. We have shopped this around the US in finding a manufacturer and finally located a reasonably priced one that also does quality work in Marietta, OH. They will use Woodport's doors for veneer but manufacture the solid doors themselves. If we choose solid, we will submit them the manufacturing specs for Woodharbor doors and they can copy it.

We look at most components in the house as a commodity (windows, doors, tin ceiling, wood floor, etc.). Once we had all the specs set for these components (window/door sizes, etc.), we sent this to the reps for Andersen/Marvin/Kolbe&Kolbe, etc. We would also get quotes from Internet companies for the same inventory and ask them to meet the price. This takes a lot of time and effort but allows you to get the biggest bang for your $. The house is the biggest investment of your life - get the most you can with your $.

BTW - like your avatar. Did you see our picture with Phil? Great guy.