Hotels in Buffalo convenient for going out on sat

kenny3000

Stop at the Lafayette Tap Room for live blues. In the old Lafayette Hotel.

PTR

The Tap Room is a great suggestion for live blues, and a great place to get 'socially lubricated' - after a little cuckoo juice, head down the block to...

Club Diablo

Don't worry 'bout the Elmwood Strip - pretty boring there, unless you're looking for neighborhood-type places. Maybe a couple of decent bars in Allentown (the old Pink, Nietzsche's), but you won't miss much if you stay near the Chip Strip, right by the Hampton Inn.

You wanna hit a few of these...

Darcy McGee's

Buckin' Buffalo Saloon

Crocodile (you can see the Hampton Inn & Suites in the background)

SoHo (no website, 'cept for some place in Thailand)

SubZero

Bayou

Bars are open 'til 4 am, so don't start too early. Stay safe.

Better yet, here's my assessment of that walk.

1. Goodbars: the ultimate dive bar. A good 20 beers on tap, and a nice patio to observe the little coeds walking down from the college.

2. Coles, the classic Buffalo bar. Another 20 beers on tap. Good Guiness, and maybe get your wings here (or try the Buffalo Shrimp--a take on wings).

3. Bullfeathers is next. Again, lots of beer choices, strange crowd.

4. Next up, the old "No Names" at the corner of Bidwell and Elmwood. Can't remember what it's called now, but a great place to sit for one of their many micro brews on tap.

5. Things get a bit dicey from here. Ok, maybe you can take your first trip to the east side of the street when you reach Merlins. Classic biker bar and a great little patio out front. Always have live music on Saturdays. Beer selection sucks, unless all you need is Blue or Molson.

6. A few blocks from there, you hit pay dirt again. You can stop in at Mode, but it's a bit too yuppity/artsy-fartsy. Go straight to Toro. Yeah, it's really a restaurant, but the scenery, read that as hot babes, is great. Besides, when you're ready for your next real beer, Faherty's is right next door. Have the Murphy's there, and play some tunes on the juke.

7. Better have a couple at Faherty's, because the next bar is a little hike. You basically need to walk to Allen at this point. Again, I'd recommend a trip to the East side just before Allen street, with a stop at Cozumel--best deck on the Elmwood strip. Might as well do a shot of tequila here.

8. Ok, now it's time to take a little detour. Turn right on Allen, and you have your hands full. There's Mulligan's Brick bar, the old pink (now something else), and The Allen Street Hardware Cafe (or something like that), which will have one of the best beer selections in the city. After that, head across the street and do Nietzsches--probably a cover because of live music, but always good.

9. At this point, a big decision to make. Do you wander back down Elmwood to the Hampton and Chippewa? OR do you head east on Allen toward Colter Bay? I suggest the latter. Colter Bay is another great beer bar. Of course, you will have to stop at Gabriel's Gate before you reach Colter BAy.

10. After Colter Bay, you've got Gallaghers, then head down Virginia.

11. On Virginia you've got Fat Bobs, Mothers, and Scarlet's (for the hot professional babe crowd). In fact, once you're done with Virginia, go back on the Delaware Ave side of that block and stop at "The Snooty Fox" (another babe hangout), and Stillwaters--very impressive upscale place.

12. From here, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump back to Chippewa, assuming you are still standing.

Good luck.

Seriously - thank you! This is awesome. But one question - there seems like a lot of steps in this plan. What time do the bars close? I think we may need to get an early start to hit all these places.

The Tap Room is a great suggestion for live blues, and a great place to get 'socially lubricated' - after a little cuckoo juice, head down the block to...

Club Diablo

Don't worry 'bout the Elmwood Strip - pretty boring there, unless you're looking for neighborhood-type places. Maybe a couple of decent bars in Allentown (the old Pink, Nietzsche's), but you won't miss much if you stay near the Chip Strip, right by the Hampton Inn.

You wanna hit a few of these...

Darcy McGee's

Buckin' Buffalo Saloon

Crocodile (you can see the Hampton Inn & Suites in the background)

SoHo (no website, 'cept for some place in Thailand)

SubZero

Bayou

Bars are open 'til 4 am, so don't start too early. Stay safe.

Thanks PTR. I just want to give a thanks to all of you guys. It's been a lot of fun reading all your posts with places and suggestions. I am now fully confident that we're going to have a great time up there. Thanks again and if anyone's tailgating before the Raiders game let me know and we'll stop by and have a few beers!

Better yet, here's my assessment of that walk.

1. Goodbars: the ultimate dive bar. A good 20 beers on tap, and a nice patio to observe the little coeds walking down from the college.

2. Coles, the classic Buffalo bar. Another 20 beers on tap. Good Guiness, and maybe get your wings here (or try the Buffalo Shrimp--a take on wings).

3. Bullfeathers is next. Again, lots of beer choices, strange crowd.

4. Next up, the old "No Names" at the corner of Bidwell and Elmwood. Can't remember what it's called now, but a great place to sit for one of their many micro brews on tap.

5. Things get a bit dicey from here. Ok, maybe you can take your first trip to the east side of the street when you reach Merlins. Classic biker bar and a great little patio out front. Always have live music on Saturdays. Beer selection sucks, unless all you need is Blue or Molson.

6. A few blocks from there, you hit pay dirt again. You can stop in at Mode, but it's a bit too yuppity/artsy-fartsy. Go straight to Toro. Yeah, it's really a restaurant, but the scenery, read that as hot babes, is great. Besides, when you're ready for your next real beer, Faherty's is right next door. Have the Murphy's there, and play some tunes on the juke.

7. Better have a couple at Faherty's, because the next bar is a little hike. You basically need to walk to Allen at this point. Again, I'd recommend a trip to the East side just before Allen street, with a stop at Cozumel--best deck on the Elmwood strip. Might as well do a shot of tequila here.

8. Ok, now it's time to take a little detour. Turn right on Allen, and you have your hands full. There's Mulligan's Brick bar, the old pink (now something else), and The Allen Street Hardware Cafe (or something like that), which will have one of the best beer selections in the city. After that, head across the street and do Nietzsches--probably a cover because of live music, but always good.

9. At this point, a big decision to make. Do you wander back down Elmwood to the Hampton and Chippewa? OR do you head east on Allen toward Colter Bay? I suggest the latter. Colter Bay is another great beer bar. Of course, you will have to stop at Gabriel's Gate before you reach Colter BAy.

10. After Colter Bay, you've got Gallaghers, then head down Virginia.

11. On Virginia you've got Fat Bobs, Mothers, and Scarlet's (for the hot professional babe crowd). In fact, once you're done with Virginia, go back on the Delaware Ave side of that block and stop at "The Snooty Fox" (another babe hangout), and Stillwaters--very impressive upscale place.

12. From here, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump back to Chippewa, assuming you are still standing.

Good luck.

Man I may do that myself someday...I miss that area...I lived at 750 Elmwood(right next to where Kunis used to be) for 2 years

Seriously - thank you! This is awesome. But one question - there seems like a lot of steps in this plan. What time do the bars close? I think we may need to get an early start to hit all these places.

Bars are open until 4am in Buffalo so pace yourself. Don't plan on sleeping saturday night.

FWIW..I would suggest hitting the Ballet in Canada on Friday Night...

Ah yes. No trip to WNY is complete without a little culture. Some suggested establishements:

(NSFW warning: links not safe for work!)

Pure Platinum - Fort Erie ON

The Sundowner - Niagara Falls ON (endorsed by the NFLPA, sort of...mainly Ty Law and Eric Moulds)

Maxine's - Fort Erie (closest to the Peace Bridge. used to be a favorite before they switched to all-male review. apparently they switched back.)

Penthouse Niagara (formerly the Dollhouse) - Niagara Falls ON (pretty swanky joint as I recall)

Bring plenty of $1's and $5's for tipping. (pay close attention to how one "tips") and bring lots of $20's for happy lappys. Bring some ID (a passport if you have one.) Travel into Canada.

PTR

Please don't forget to stop at McMonkees.

Blacklights - Check

Fat Girls - Check

80's music - Check

Trifecta!!!!!

Now closed - Bayou is the most recent iteration of this oft-changing establishment, formerly known as Club Vodka, formerly known as McMonkeez, formerly known as etc., etc.....

Now closed - Bayou is the most recent iteration of this oft-changing establishment, formerly known as Club Vodka, formerly known as McMonkeez, formerly known as etc., etc.....

Aww man! Does Bayou still have Fat Chicks and Black Lights?

The easy plan is to do the Chippewa scene, and there is quite a mix of bars there. If you're going to do the walking tour, then I'd start about 4pm. If you make it back to Chippewa and close the place down at 4am, then you are my idol..... :thumbsup:

Im staying at this Econolodge for the Oakland game coming up...as long as I don't feel like I have to sleep in my clothes on top of the covers, I think I'll be ok.

The other games I am coming up for, we are staying at the EconoLodge Buffalo South, on milestrip near orchard park, I think...

You will LOVE the wings & beer at the Buffalo Brew Pub.... And all you need to do is walk 100 feet back to your hotel. But , you may want to sleep with your clothes on...