Lazy Buffalo journalism

bananathumb

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't decided to become a "mystery man", he has simply decided not to engage in a war of words through the press, you know, the kind of thing that we regularly blast other players like Owens and Johnson for doing.

Why hasn't anyone in the media reported this about Peters? Has your inside source (I'm assuming you have one because you are 'breaking news' here) revealed when Jason will make a public or even semi-public statement?

No, this hasn't occurred to me...and it's a stupid statement. Journalism is lousy because I'm lazy. Thanks scribe.

Nice job taking one sentence from a paragraph and trying to make it seem as if that was the complete thought. The full paragraph reads, "Have you thought that just maybe it isn't journalists who are lazy -- it is the consumers. The consumers who are too lazy to pickup a newspaper or actually take the time to read a story. Rather, the lazy want everything served to them in flashy television pieces. Really, the lazy want to be entertained, these days, not informed. Digesting real information is too boring for the lazy."

The vast number of consumers are no longer looking to true outlets of journalism for their "news." They, and if that includes you, so be it, are looking to cable networks that are in the business of entertaining you while feably attempting to sprinkle in some actual journalism on the cheap. That's causing the actual news organization to go broke. So, yes, consumers' laziness is killing journalism.

If you think journalism is terrible, try a different source. If the pizza place near your house started serving crap, you'd likely go find another place, not condem the entire pizza industry.

Nice job taking one sentence from a paragraph and trying to make it seem as if that was the complete thought. The full paragraph reads, "Have you thought that just maybe it isn't journalists who are lazy -- it is the consumers. The consumers who are too lazy to pickup a newspaper or actually take the time to read a story. Rather, the lazy want everything served to them in flashy television pieces. Really, the lazy want to be entertained, these days, not informed. Digesting real information is too boring for the lazy."

The vast number of consumers are no longer looking to true outlets of journalism for their "news." They, and if that includes you, so be it, are looking to cable networks that are in the business of entertaining you while feably attempting to sprinkle in some actual journalism on the cheap. That's causing the actual news organization to go broke. So, yes, consumers' laziness is killing journalism.

Cry me a river. The original poster asked a decent question and you jumped down his throat (IMO). As for the media, I guess it's time to reevaluate how you do things. If no single Buffalo source can afford to send someone to Texas...can one find a source near Peters and allow them to do the investigating for them? Could not a single newspaper, radio station and TV station work together and send an individual to the scene?

If what you're doing isn't working either change or not, but if 'news' is your game...you should be able to find some.

Cry me a river. The original poster asked a decent question and you jumped down his throat (IMO). As for the media, I guess it's time to reevaluate how you do things. If no single Buffalo source can afford to send someone to Texas...can one find a source near Peters and allow them to do the investigating for them? Could not a single newspaper, radio station and TV station work together and send an individual to the scene?

If what you're doing isn't working either change or not, but if 'news' is your game...you should be able to find some.

The original poster, who I have to believe it capable of defending himself/herself, asked a question and took an unfair jab at an industry struggling because of blind people like you. I am not concerned with defending myself to you.

As for your point about change, you got it! Those media outlets changing to survive have to push journalistic efforts aside to keep up, giving the industry they leave behind a bad name. While those who don't change – read: compromise ethics – must work harder for less money while being insulted by those who cannot realize they are the problem.

There are some stark parallels between what I am talking about and the plight of those who use to manufacture quality goods and now are forced to produce crap to keep up with the markets catering to today's quality-indifferent consumers.

As for your queston about teamwork between the stations and newspapers, that is something some are doing to try to survive. But even then, they need to be careful in what they spend their resources on.

So am I, whenever I see the "lazy journalist" stereotype tossed out there.

Or maybe that's just the sleep deprivation taking hold ...

Sleep deprivation? How could that be seeing that you must be a lazy journalist, too? :beer::thumbsup:

Of course, you know I am obviously kidding. Lori. But I figured I better say so for the sake of others.

Sleep deprivation? How could that be seeing that you must be a lazy journalist, too? :beer::thumbsup:

Of course, you know I am obviously kidding. Lori. But I figured I better say so for the sake of others.

Pales in comparison to what you used to do, my friend. Nobody's shooting at me.

Yet. :thumbsup:

The original poster, who I have to believe it capable of defending himself/herself, asked a question and took an unfair jab at an industry struggling because of blind people like you. I am not concerned with defending myself to you.

As for your queston about teamwork between the stations and newspapers, that is something some are doing to try to survive. But even then, they need to be careful in what they spend their resources on.

I'll ignore the blind comment, why I'm not sure. Guess it's because I assume you don't mean it.

Regarding Peters...it is (IMO) the biggest sports story in WNY and we know only one side of it. There have not been any developments (to our knowledge). There has been no known contact between the sides. We don't know his health. We don't know what he's thinking. All of this frustrates a fan of a City/Team. Is $1500 bucks is outside of the budgets of any single WNY media outlet (yes, I travel regularly on business and three days including per diem, flight, rental car, hotel never runs me more than 1000)? Hard to think that it would be, but you know that better than I. If it is, then find another way because this is obviously something people care about.

I'll ignore the blind comment, why I'm not sure. Guess it's because I assume you don't mean it.

Regarding Peters...it is (IMO) the biggest sports story in WNY and we know only one side of it. There have not been any developments (to our knowledge). There has been no known contact between the sides. We don't know his health. We don't know what he's thinking. All of this frustrates a fan of a City/Team. Is $1500 bucks is outside of the budgets of any single WNY media outlet (yes, I travel regularly on business and three days including per diem, flight, rental car, hotel never runs me more than 1000)? Hard to think that it would be, but you know that better than I. If it is, then find another way because this is obviously something people care about.

$1500 bucks? Guy lives in OP, ferchrissakes - how 'bout just a tank of gas???!!!!

But honestly, BeerSphere, do you really want to see pictures of what Mickey and Jason are doing together while they're singing those love songs?

You're right about the blind comment. This suject obviously touches a nerve for me, as I am one who has a strong personal belief thet journalistic ethics need to be maintained but know that is going to be a hard thing to accomplish long-term because so many people refuse to see what's happening. And yes, I mean refuse.

I understand $1,500 isn't much and that is likely an accurate cost estimate, plus the man hours lost by the outlets sending the reporter. But every dollar is counted, and the botton-line question is what is the potential payoff for the newspaper or station? Most likely, the reporter will get a snap shot of Peters working in his yard and saying, "No comment." That would be worth posting about here, and would do a bit to address our concerns about his injury, but would it sell newspapers? As a former editor who had to ask that question everytime I assigned or approved a story, I have to say not likely. Yes, there is a chance the reporter could get something really newsworthy, but again, not likley, considering this guy is seeingly under strict guidance to not talk. I have to presume every reporter covering the Bills has tried their hardest to reach him by phone or get his agent to make a real comment. I don't think traveling to his home, uninvited, increases a reporter's chance of getting a comment enough to justify spending hard-to-come-by budget dollars, even just $1,500.

Yeah, you're right. It's not like finding and following a 6'4" 340lbs man is hard. He must be travelling constantly, or hiding out in his momma's basement.

thats the majority of people on most internet forums

I agree to a point. The local Buffalo media probably does not have a budget for something like this. However, you'd think an organization like ESPN -- which appears to have a virtually unlimited budget -- might be able to track him down. Maybe it's just not as big of a story to warrant it.

If I may be so bold to ask. Why does a newspaper have to be on paper? It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I have no time. I do not have the time during the day to read an entire newspaper. i get through about half of it at lunchtime, at which point I have already heard all of the news in the paper from other outlets. is it not possible to have a newspaper in a purely online format? Thus feeding our need for 24 hour news while eliminating the massive overhead that comes with a paper?

It became clear to me the other day that newspapers as a medium are dead. The Phillies played a thrilling 13 inning game, culminating in a big comeback win. They had been down 7-0 and won 8-7 in 13 innings. it was one of the most exciting games of the year and was the topic of every discussion that morning. I picked up the paper to read the boxscore and found that there was no information about the game in the paper at all. Why? Because the game ended too late for press. For me to get the news out of the physical paper I would have had to read it the FOLLOWING morning. In contrast I was able to fire up the old Interwebs, get to the online edition of the paper and read to my hearts content (minus the boxscore which came later courtesy ESPN.com). The paper missed out on the best sports story of the month, however, the news entity had it covered.

I'm not saying the idea is outmoded but I'm saying the delivery method is. The town crier ceased to exist, the Pony Express ceased to exist, telegraphs ceased to exist, and soon newspapers as we know them will cease to exist. not because they don't provide a good service, but because there became another way to do the same job, only faster. I feel bad for all the workers at the paper who lost their jobs and who will lose their jobs, but when's the last time you cried over the out of work switchboard operator while making a phone call? Technology made them unnecessary and while the journaists are still necessary, the paper and ink and all of the people that go into that are not.