Derek Fine

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3913

FINE HAS SERIOUS THUMB INJURY: Last season the tight end position was hit hard as Kevin Everett suffered a career ending injury in week one and then rookie Derek Schouman suffered a high ankle sprain and wound up on injured reserve as well.

Fast forward to this year and the Bills have yet to get out of the preseason and Derek Schouman is still a bit away from returning to action and now Derek Fine has what Dick Jauron called a "fairly serious thumb injury."

Though Jauron did not confirm whether it's broke he did say he would be out "a while."

That takes both of Buffalo's top move tight ends off the field, so lining up in the backfield pre-snap and things of that nature are not an option.

The remaining tight ends on the roster are Royal, Courtney Anderson and Tim Massaquoi.

Schouman and Fine's injuries could also complicate the staff's decision making on final roster spots. You often dress at least two tight ends on game day and keep three as a minimum on the roster. But with Fine likely out for the opener and Schouman questionable it could make for some unconventional decisions.

FINE HAS SERIOUS THUMB INJURY: Last season the tight end position was hit hard as Kevin Everett suffered a career ending injury in week one and then rookie Derek Schouman suffered a high ankle sprain and wound up on injured reserve as well.

Fast forward to this year and the Bills have yet to get out of the preseason and Derek Schouman is still a bit away from returning to action and now Derek Fine has what Dick Jauron called a "fairly serious thumb injury."

Though Jauron did not confirm whether it's broke he did say he would be out "a while."

That takes both of Buffalo's top move tight ends off the field, so lining up in the backfield pre-snap and things of that nature are not an option.

The remaining tight ends on the roster are Royal, Courtney Anderson and Tim Massaquoi.

Schouman and Fine's injuries could also complicate the staff's decision making on final roster spots. You often dress at least two tight ends on game day and keep three as a minimum on the roster. But with Fine likely out for the opener and Schouman questionable it could make for some unconventional decisions.

could ya at least credit the link ya pulled this from

I heard no commentary, but I hope you're kidding

Nope, one of the guys definately said it in the first half. I think it was in the first quarter. Then he mentioned the two TD catches against the Steelers.

Damn, I really like Fine. He held my 1-year-old at camp.

Well, if you heard the commentators Sunday night, Royal is one of the league's best tight ends.

I heard them. As for believing them ...

could ya at least credit the link ya pulled this from

You have a point. And for me, it's not even about checking to see if the poster copied and pasted it over accurately. It is about giving the author credit. If this was Chris Brown's work, his bosses aren't going to know about all the readers who read it here because we never have to go to the Bills' site to see it. So his bosses have to estimate how many see it. These things add up for reporters.

You have a point. And for me, it's not even about checking to see if the poster copied and pasted it over accurately. It is about giving the author credit. If this was Chris Brown's work, his bosses aren't going to know about all the readers who read it here because we never have to go to the Bills' site to see it. So his bosses have to estimate how many see it. These things add up for reporters.

Agreed. I edited the original post to credit Brown and include a link.

Far as I know, Chuck Pollock remains the only writer who has given TBD permission to reprint any of his work. The rules are probably a little looser for blog posts, but it's still Brown's/bb.com's original product ...

[/copyright law lecture]

Schouman's injury is still "weeks," I presume? Wonder who that knocks off the bottom of the roster ... or if Schouman ends up on IR because of it?

IR = End of Season for a player... it's not like the disabled lists in Baseball... etc. So they can't store them on IR. The process of getting a player back is insane - you have to reach an injury settlement and cut them, then resign them... Unless your the Pats*... then you use 'em like practice squad players until you get caught.

If Peters is a no show by cut-down day - you have an extra roster spot for an extra TE... then as it gets closer - or if Peters reports they'll have to make another move.... My hope is one of them will be ready soon enough it won't much matter... 1 week isn't going to kill you.

IR = End of Season for a player... it's not like the disabled lists in Baseball... etc. So they can't store them on IR. The process of getting a player back is insane - you have to reach an injury settlement and cut them, then resign them... Unless your the Pats*... then you use 'em like practice squad players until you get caught.

If Peters is a no show by cut-down day - you have an extra roster spot for an extra TE... then as it gets closer - or if Peters reports they'll have to make another move.... My hope is one of them will be ready soon enough it won't much matter... 1 week isn't going to kill you.

I believe that the in season IR is different from the pre-season IR.

Maybe you're thinking of the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) list... but as I recall that list works goofy... it's not as useful as it should be. The rules are set up to prevent teams from abuisng the weird exceptions to the 53 man roster.

Schouman's injury is still "weeks," I presume? Wonder who that knocks off the bottom of the roster ... or if Schouman ends up on IR because of it?

According to Chris Brown today:

Already without Derek Schouman, who could miss another week, Buffalo will likely have only three tight ends for the preseason finale and some difficult roster decisions could be looming if Schouman and Fine are not healthy options for the season opener.

Sounds like Schouman might be back a little earlier than expected. Hopefully.