Wil James

keithg

I have watched a fair amount of the Bills preseason games and I have seen this guy miss tackles and take bad angles every game...I was hopeful he would be a great pick up with his veteran experience, etc but I feel like Ashton and Reggie Corner are playing better and WJ may just be the odd man out at CB...what say ye???

I have to agree. I haven't seen anything positive from him and he seems to take at last one HORRIBLE angle at the ball carrier every game. Unless his coverage skills are exceptional, which I dont think they are, I think his inability to tackle gets him cut...too bad.

Andrew

Speaking of CB play, I keep hearing how good McKelvin looks. Greer has been solid so it fortunately gives more time for McKelvin to acclimate to the pro game because he looked foolish on that big touchdown he gave up last night. He strikes me as a player who will learn from his mistakes and improve his game.

I think I think that we need at least one veteran back-up at the position. Youboty doesn't count.

it's pointless to take a veteran even as a backup if he cannot play well, experience can cover some mistakes but if the guy is consistently out of position and missing tackles, he's not worth keeping around

it's pointless to take a veteran even as a backup if he cannot play well, experience can cover some mistakes but if the guy is consistently out of position and missing tackles, he's not worth keeping around

I agree. Please don't let him teach our young players how to do it his way!

Usually I'd agree with you but the way it stacks up w/o him is McGee and Greer witha rookie nickel and dime back with Youboty lurking in the weeds for a spot. I'm not really excited about throwing 2 rookies on the field against the 4 WR sets or having a rookie on the field all year in 3WR sets which is some ridiculous percentage of the plays these days. I'd rather dfind a way to keep 6 CBs so we've got an experienced guy to turn to in a pinch.

Usually I'd agree with you but the way it stacks up w/o him is McGee and Greer witha rookie nickel and dime back with Youboty lurking in the weeds for a spot. I'm not really excited about throwing 2 rookies on the field against the 4 WR sets or having a rookie on the field all year in 3WR sets which is some ridiculous percentage of the plays these days. I'd rather dfind a way to keep 6 CBs so we've got an experienced guy to turn to in a pinch.

Understood, and it's a good point, but the rookies don't get the experience if they don't play and i don't want a guy on the field who can't do the job regardless of first year or 8th year

You'd rather have a veteran who can't cover that 4th receiver than a rookie that can?

You'd rather have a veteran who can't cover that 4th receiver than a rookie that can?

Well Will James' body of work indicates that he's more reliable covering that 4th receiver right now than a rookie who hasn't played a game yet. MCKelvin might be great but he made a rookie mistake last night that turned into a 94 yd TD. Corner has been good but he's 5'9". All I'm saying is that rookies tend to make their share of catastrophic errors and the fewer of them you have on the field at one time the better.

If James is complete crap then yes, dump him, but I don't think that's the case. Even if that were the case I would then want us to go find a vet to have for depth. IMO you can't go into a season with your #3, #4, and #5 corners either being rookies or hugely inexperienced and unproven and if you do those guys had better be ready to play yesterday because they will be tested early. If it makes me weird to be unnerved by that thought than so be it.

Speaking of CB play, I keep hearing how good McKelvin looks. Greer has been solid so it fortunately gives more time for McKelvin to acclimate to the pro game because he looked foolish on that big touchdown he gave up last night. He strikes me as a player who will learn from his mistakes and improve his game.

He's made other blunders as well that you prolly haven't noticed. He's prone to give up the huge play. Already 3 times I know he's giving up at least 15+ yard completions in the minimal amount of time he's put in at corner and against scrubs no less!!!

Yes, I know he's a rookie and will give him time but he needs to smarten up if he wants more PT.

I think I think that we need at least one veteran back-up at the position. Youboty doesn't count.

I know I'm probably stretching this analogy to the point of making it scream to where dogs alone can hear it, but when I hear that we need "at least one veteran back-up" in the defense, I think of the dreaded combination of Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent playing safety.

Or Eddie Robinson at linebacker.

Or Al Wallace (was that his name?) or Chidi Ahanitu (sp?) on the D-Line.

Sorry, had to shudder for a minute. I'm back now.

My point is.....no thanks. No. Nyet. Nada. Null. I can't say that "aged veterans" are one-dimensional (although Milloy was almost laughable in his last season), but they certainly have lost enough of their former dimensions that any rare display of a crafty, savvy veteran move is negated by the multitude of times someone younger leaves them looking for their collective jockstraps after a wicked spin juke.

Plugging a veteran in for the sake of plugging a veteran in is Donohoe redux. I'd rather leave THAT mindset in the rearview mirror. If the "kid" is playing better, put him in and live with the mistakes. He'll grow into the position. The veteran just gets older.