'Buffalo-Bill' saga continues..

I know, it's called Lucas Oil Stadium. But you'd be hard pressed to convince me they'd be opening this state-of-the-art, retractable roof venue w/HD scoreboards and an awaiting Super Bowl were it not for the incredibly successful performance of their GM, Bill Polian. The 5-time (& counting) NFL Exec-o-the-year's dossier is still a work in progress, though it already identifies him as the Paul Brown of this era, regarding player assessment. 'His' Bills teams of the late 80's/early 90's may well have been the best assembly of full team talent ever amassed. Even as free agency crept in, he was still drafting Phil Hansens' and Henry Jones' at the bottom of the draft. Firery and bombastic, he rarely minces words. Ralph Wilson's legacy of ego clashes -think Knox and SabanI & II- never hurt worse than jettisoning 'Buffalo-Bill'. In all instances where Ralph 'excused' these malcontents, the Bills quickly plummetted to the league cellar -though it took a bit longer for the post-Polian Bills to realize a 3 win season..For all Ralph Wilson has done for Buffalo, his petty ego trips are a testament to the teams' checkered past. I can just picture Polian gabbing jockularly about Ralph at league owners meetings..

Who else could have changed Robert Irsay's rightful image of a bumbling, incompetent buffoon into the NFL model? The current stability of that franchise and the fabulous new stadium is a sole tribute to 'the One who got away'..

We miss you, Buffalo-Bill! :devil:

Thoughts?

I know, it's called Lucas Oil Stadium. But you'd be hard pressed to convince me they'd be opening this state-of-the-art, retractable roof venue w/HD scoreboards and an awaiting Super Bowl were it not for the incredibly successful performance of their GM, Bill Polian. The 5-time (& counting) NFL Exec-o-the-year's dossier is still a work in progress, though it already identifies him as the Paul Brown of this era, regarding player assessment. 'His' Bills teams of the late 80's/early 90's may well have been the best assembly of full team talent ever amassed. Even as free agency crept in, he was still drafting Phil Hansens' and Henry Jones' at the bottom of the draft. Firery and bombastic, he rarely minces words. Ralph Wilson's legacy of ego clashes -think Knox and SabanI & II- never hurt worse than jettisoning 'Buffalo-Bill'. In all instances where Ralph 'excused' these malcontents, the Bills quickly plummetted to the league cellar -though it took a bit longer for the post-Polian Bills to realize a 3 win season..For all Ralph Wilson has done for Buffalo, his petty ego trips are a testament to the teams' checkered past. I can just picture Polian gabbing jockularly about Ralph at league owners meetings..

Who else could have changed Robert Irsay's rightful image of a bumbling, incompetent buffoon into the NFL model? The current stability of that franchise and the fabulous new stadium is a sole tribute to 'the One who got away'..

Thoughts?

Couldn't have said it better.

From a business standpoint, Wilson has been a correct side of things where the league as whole is concerned.

I only wish some of his decisions concerning his own team where as well thought out. In a previous thread, someone else listed some of his screwups. Missing from the list was his decision to play R Johnson against the Titans in the famous playoff loss of 2000. Would it have been a different outcome with Flutie? Nobody can say for sure, but his track record was certainly better than Johnson's. I would have had to play the odds and left the guy in there who started and won most of the games that got you to the playoffs.

Polian getting away was by far the worst mistake.

On the other hand, give credit where it's due. Old Ralph has done everything possible to keep the beloved Bills in WNY. That alone should trump all the lousy decisions. At least we still have a chance for OUR team to win a superbowl. And anyway, at least we're not the Lions or Cardinals. Could be worse.

Thoughts?

Did ROBERT Irsay hire Polian, or was it his son/successor/current owner JIM Irsay?

Polian getting away was by far the worst mistake.

On the other hand, give credit where it's due. Old Ralph has done everything possible to keep the beloved Bills in WNY. That alone should trump all the lousy decisions. At least we still have a chance for OUR team to win a superbowl. And anyway, at least we're not the Lions or Cardinals. Could be worse.

Amen, and thank you Ralph for choosing Buffalo over Miami. I didn't mean to make the thread as negative towards RW as it came out. Only trumpeting the exploits of 'Carrottop', albeit forlorned. :devil:

Did ROBERT Irsay hire Polian, or was it his son/successor/current owner JIM Irsay?

Regardless of which Irsay hired Polian, neither one has harbored the animosity that Ralph held against BP. If only Littman hadn't carried more favor with RW than he should have.

I don't think there's a better GM/President in the league than Polian. He succeeded before and after the cap has been in effect. No executive type can demonstrate anything close to that.

Of late, he's set his sights on the out of control rookie first round salaries and appears to be the one pushing Goodell the hardest on this issue.

Thoughts?

Spot on!

Regardless of which Irsay hired Polian, neither one has harbored the animosity that Ralph held against BP. If only Littman hadn't carried more favor with RW than he should have.

I don't think there's a better GM/President in the league than Polian. He succeeded before and after the cap has been in effect. No executive type can demonstrate anything close to that.

Of late, he's set his sights on the out of control rookie first round salaries and appears to be the one pushing Goodell the hardest on this issue.

ROBERT Irsay, the original owner, would NEVER have hired BP in the first place. He was one of the most meddlesome owners in the history of the league. He'd call the coach from his suite to call plays, or demand someone be benched, etc, in the middle of a game. His son JIM (the current owner) used to have to go around apologizing to players, coaches, administrators, etc, for his Dad's erratic behavior (he once fired a coach after a pre-season game loss). Jim Irsay is the exact opposite of his Dad.

Also, curious as to whether anyone remembers why Carolina let BP go? He certainly was successful there as well (NFC Championship game in just the 2nd year of the franchise). Must have been more to that story. BP is a genius when it comes to evaluating talent - he just lacks some "people skills".

He's got the perfect setup in Indianapolis - ego-less owner AND coach, who know what they have in BP, and are content to let him "buy the groceries". He never would have been able to co-exist with an owner like Jerry Jones, or coaches like Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, Belicheat, etc. And maybe BP has "grown up" (matured) since his stint in Buffalo, and learned some things from his experiences in Buffalo and Carolina. Who knows? But I certainly wouldn't blame his leaving entirely on RW - just as Butler's leaving wasn't totally in Ralph's control, either.