Situation at FSU looking pretty bad

Acantha

Below is a post from a Gators message board I belong to. Yes, it's just a message board post, but they guy who posted it has been on top of this whole situation since it started. There are seminole fans who troll the board, and every time he updates they come out and call him a liar for any number of reasons. Every single time, he's been right. I guess what I"m saying is while I fully trust the source, it IS just a message board rumor, so take it how you want.

(It's a pay site, so no direct link. Gatorcountry.com)

I have been informed by someone who was there last night, when Spetman spoke to some 1300 boosters [my edit: "130" is what I was told, and that is accurate; the "1300" was a typo for fat fingers) in Orlando, that Spetman responded to rumors and rumblings re: the scandal.

1. The rumor that FSU has received an NOA is indeed true.

2. The rumor that it contains allegations that require FSU to prepare a new brief is also true.

3. The rumor that FSU's brief is due in mid-September is true. More precisely, "September 15."

4. The rumor that the NCAA indicted that they would move the hearing back to the beginning of 2009 is true, but subsequent communications establish that it go forward, in fact, on October 18.

5. The rumor that "our orginal submissions" did not indicate how many scholarships, "specifically," we were willing to cede is true. However, "we will address that at or before the hearing." He went on to say, "the school is considering now how many scholarships to offer up. It could range anywhere from 2 scholarships a year to 10 scholarships a year." He added that while their orginal report suggested a two-year period for reductions, "we are now considering three years." [My edit: in context, I am told he was talking "football" schollies. New edit: Crowl has just confirmed on Warchant that the "2-to-10" range is JUST for FOOTBALL.]

6. He stated that "all of you need to be aware" that "the NCAA may make an example of us."

7. The rumor that FSU has no intention of releasing the NOA is true. It will not be released even in redacted form.

Article explaining a bit about what happened

He said later that he predicts (not from any concrete information, just the personal opinion of someone who has been paying attention the details of the situation) it will be 6 or 7 scholarships for 3 years.

This could mean really bad things for FSU for a while. Besides the scholarships, it will be tough to get those borderline players who will be worried about the school being behind the 8 ball.

Good grief. A bunch of faggot gator losers (i'm not referring to you faustus, just the inbred redneck dirtbags that i assume populate the gator forums) hoping that FSU is going to get the death penalty from the NCAA. Lets take a look at the known facts, not "facts" posted from some douche on a gator message board (yeah, MB posters are models of credibility) who cant see the screen because tim tebow's balls are in his face.

1. Some FSU players were caught cheating on a music test. The extent of the cheating was that a tutor gave them either help or direct answers to an online exam that the athletes needed to take.

2. There were more athletes than just FSU football players involved. The athletes accused of cheating were dealt with via suspensions and or removal from the teams.

3. This isnt some huge cheating scandal where the entire football team was cheating over the course of years or the course of the semester. It was an isolated incident, one single test.

4. Here's the link to the NCAA hearing...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/conten...c_fsu_0702.html

In its report to the NCAA, FSU recommended several corrective and punitive measures, including a two-year probation, scholarship reductions, changes among senior staff in the athletic department and academic support services and making significant changes in the structure of academic support services.

5. The NCAA has given no indication that they will "make an example" out of us. In fact, everything coming out has the NCAA agreeing with FSU's self-imposed sanctions.

Bottom line: FSU will likely be put on probation for a couple of years. We'll probably lose a couple of scholarships for a couple of years. But to those fudge packing gator fans, no, we are not getting the death penalty, and no, this isn't going to be a significant hiccup in the development of FSU. And for the record, TK Wetherell is a giant douche.

(yeah, MB posters are models of credibility)

This includes you, yes? I made quite an effort in my post to draw attention to the fact that it was JUST a MB post, and to take that for what is was worth to you. I never asked anyone to believe something I couldn't substantiate.

Bottom line: FSU will likely be put on probation for a couple of years. We'll probably lose a couple of scholarships for a couple of years. But to those fudge packing gator fans, no, we are not getting the death penalty, and no, this isn't going to be a significant hiccup in the development of FSU. And for the record, TK Wetherell is a giant douche.

Uhh....outside of "a few", that's pretty much exactly what the post said. And the official wording in the post was 2-10, so a few could be accurate.

The remarks about hurting their recruiting were mine, and yes I think with the competitive nature of recruiting, being a team down a few scholarships and on probation will hurt them. It's not as if they are in the top 10 rankings as it is. Death penalty? No one, at least in this thread or the threads I've read on other forums, have mentioned anything about this being the death call of FSU. Just that it's going to hurt.

And for all the negativity about gator fans you spew, you are FAR worse than most gator fans I know. If this were happening in Gainesville, you'd be talking about the death of the school, not to mention the team.

And for the record, the NOA that he was talking about was what was being responded to by FSU....the report that was referenced in your link. What he was saying was that due to updated NOA they received from the NCAA, they would be writing up a new report, which would include new recommendations for punitive actions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.