Why no one should be worried about the Jets...

Coming off a 4-12 season and making a splash in FA by signing a LOT of overpaid veterans, the latest one being Favre (in case you havent heard). I just realized that the Jets remind me of the Drew Bledsoe lead Bills of a few years ago.

I understand that Favre is a better QB than Bledsoe. But maybe I should say WAS a better QB then Bledsoe. At least Drew knows to stay retired.

But honestly, these Jets remind me of the 7-9 and 8-8 Bills who would be winning all game and then let Morton (NYJ) run back a kick and lose the game. I remember that opening day where we beat the Pats 31-0, jumping up and down for Bledsoe and Spikes and thinking "This is it! We're finally back on top! Signing these names really works!" and then being severely disappointed the rest of the season.

Thats exactly what the Jets will be this year. They'll be 8-8 and not be able to figure out why. I'm not too worried about them.

Go Bills!

Solid comparison.

8 wins max for the Jets, a team full of older "just out of their prime" players will not have the longevity to sustain a whole season.

The Jets operation really does remind me of the Donahoe era Bills - more about hype than actual product and inevitably extremely disappointing. Favre makes them better, sure, a little bit. But it also makes it so they're not sneaking up on anybody. Their opponents will come in focused because the world is watching.

Think about Favre's career though - 16 years in the same offense in small market Green Bay. This year he's coming in out of pro-football shape, having to learn a new offense with all new players and new reads (something he hasn't had to do since the Bills were in the Superbowl) and will for the first time have the most aggressive and unforgiving media machine watching and critiquing his every move. In Green Bay he could be viewed from afar and admired by the big press because his failures, or at least shortcomings, wouldn't affect them in the least cause he's off in cute Green Bay. That will not be the case in the Big Apple. That town will turn on him in a second if he gives them any opportunity to, and it will be a feeding frenzy.

BINGO!! As I read through the posts, the more and more I started comparing what the Jets are doing to what the Bills went through for a good portion of the Donahoe era. The "names" on the team give the impression of great potential but when you step back and really look at it, take the fan blinders off, there is really no chemistry between the young and the old, the stars and the rest of the team. The Jets really do remind me of the Bills when the signed Bledsoe, the supposed missing piece. What did it get us, bupka. A lot of pre-season thoughts of the promised land, the guy that has the strong arm, all the records and post season experience, someone that can finally rebound this team back to the glory days. Where did it get us in the end.....a lot of false hope, a team that on paper was supposed to be well above average to a team on the field that was barely average.

The comparisons are eerily similar which actually bodes well for this young, under the radar, talent and chemistry driven Bills team. Let the Jets get all the media hype with Favre as the savior. In late November, after all the media has been following the Patsies and the Favre media circus in the AFC East, no one will have been looking and the Bills could be 9 and 3 going into the last month of the year.

BINGO!! As I read through the posts, the more and more I started comparing what the Jets are doing to what the Bills went through for a good portion of the Donahoe era. The "names" on the team give the impression of great potental but when you step back and really look at it, take the fan blinders off, there is really no chemistry between the young and the old, the stars and the rest of the team. The Jets really do remind me of the Bills when the signed Bledsoe, the supposed missing piece. What did it get us, bupka. A lot of pre-season thoughts of the promised land, the guy that has the strong arm, all the records and post season experience, someone the can finally rebound this team back to the glory days. Where did it get us in the end.....a lot of false hope, a team that on paper was supposed to be well above average to a team on the field that was barely average.

The comparisons are eerily similar which actually bodes well for this young, under the radar, talent and chemistry driven Bills team. Let the Jets get all the media hype with Favre as the savior. In late November, after all the media has been following the Patsies and the Favre media circus in the AFC East, no one will have been looking and the Bills could be 9 and 3 going into the last month of the year.

not only no chemistry, but BAD BLOOD. there were numerous articles this offseason about the guys who have been working hard on the Jets for the past few years being PISSED that the front office is giving all this FA money to players who have done nothing for the team yet.

So there is already bad mojo in that locker room.

But...but...but...(haven't seen that in a while, thought I'd bring it out)...

The Jest have Cotchery and Coles, two guys that couldn't get open against our depleted secondary last year, but they are good, and that's why they'll beat everybody this year! :lol::wallbash:

On a less retarded note, this is a great analogy. Ever since the Raiders of the late 90's/early 00's put together their "team of old guys" and had success, teams have been trying to emulate it. Also, football teams have been trying to copy the Yankees and Red Sox.

What they(especially Dan Snyder's Redskins) fail to understand is: 1 out of 10 times you get the Raiders, the other 9 you end up with the Redskins, like you said, 8-8 at best. The other thing is, this is not baseball, and these players are only going to be out there for 16 games, not 162. Team chemistry is even more important in football than in baseball, and you cannot build it by trying to "buy" your team. It takes a few years for people to get to know each other's play and you simply can't insert pieces all over the field and expect instant results.

Brett has also...

Missed all the OTA's

Missed the first weeks of Training Camp

Has to learn a brand new system

Has to develop chemistry with wide receivers

Has to work behind an O-Line that is just developing chemistry

Must get back in shape

Must learn the intricacies of the new defenses he has to face twice a year.

This ain't the NFC, and you're not playing the Vikings and Lions twice a year anymore.

Brett's smart enough (Although, after this debachle I'm having strong thoughts about his intelligence) to learn the playbook, et cetera, but if what Kawika said about Tom Brady was true, I'm pretty sure he won't be afraid to use it on another "Legend".

If there's any position that needs training camp time, it's the QB position. Timing and chemistry between the QB and the backs and receivers is critical. Otherwise, why would there be training camp and preseason at all? If it were as easy and plugging in all-stars at a position, we would see a lot more of this. I'm not saying it never works, but it's pretty rare. Especially this late. Most players at least have training camp and preseason to get some reps in. Favre's coming in with less than a month before the regular season starts. There's a possibility that they could start out hot, but once other teams start getting game film, the lack of time is going to show.

Favre better hope all the new free agents on the O-Line start playing well together in a hurry. Every D-Line they play is going to be out to nail him.

One other thing to remember: If the Jets start winning lots of games early, you might as well turn off any sports radio station or TV channel, because that's all we're going to hear and see.

It's weird that this one guy gets so much hype. I live in Youngstown, Ohio and nobody cares about this guy. Most of the fans here are Steelers and Browns fans, and they're ticked off that the Favre story is shoving Steelers and Browns coverage aside.

Obviously the sports media are getting a ton of response to covering this story, but I'm wondering where all the response is coming from. I would think that most fans of other teams wouldn't be all that interested. I guess I'm wrong. Either that,

or NFL fans in states with no resident teams are driving it. If you live in Idaho and you're an NFL fan, maybe it's a big deal.

Either way, I'm beyond tired of hearing about this guy. I can't wait until the season gets here, so everybody can shut up about it and start covering what's actually happening on the field.

I watched alot of steelers games last year & I am telling you he was one of their weak links on the line. He is a big name I will give you that but his better days are behind him. I find it kinda funny that the steelers, who pride themselves & have built their teams from the lines out were willing to let Faneca walk without even making him an offer. If he is as good as you & Bill say he is they would of franchised him or did soemthing to keep him there. Remember the Jacksonville playoff game last year, they had no confidence in running to faneca's side late in the game. But he is a big name & everybody has heard of him on the wall & one of our rivals signed him to a big time contract so I guess that makes him a top 5 guard in the league.

From the steelers games I watched last year I've gotta agree with Gordio here, Feneca's been regressing for 3 years now. I woudn't say he was a liability last year, but he certainly wasn't dominant. I think the Jets should've signed Nick Mangold's sister, she is a beast!

Exactly what kind of conditioning could prevent an achilles injury?

I dont know im not rusty jones. all i know is that since he left we have been riddled with injuries every season. more so than the previous decade.

its possible that he wouldnt have prevented that injury. but the fact is that he never had the chance to try.

maybe conditioning wouldnt have helped. maybe some better strength and flexibility would have.

point is, not only did we see a sharp rise in injuries since he left, but remember those first seasons without him when our big guys on the OLine and DLine were completely sucking wind and unable to play in the 4th quarter of games? i do.

The Jets really do remind me of the Bills when the signed Bledsoe, the supposed missing piece. What did it get us, bupka. A lot of pre-season thoughts of the promised land, the guy that has the strong arm, all the records and post season experience, someone that can finally rebound this team back to the glory days. Where did it get us in the end.....a lot of false hope, a team that on paper was supposed to be well above average to a team on the field that was barely average.

That team went 9-7 winning 7 of the last 9 and were in the playoff hunt going into the last game. This includes getting robbed in the opener on the Jacksonville "push out" TD. That's the best the Bills have done in the past 3 years since. If we had given Drew one more year and kept the momentum going, we'd a been a playoff team in 2005 instead of suckin with JP. Dumbest move in Bills history since cutting Doug Flutie.

When the Bills suit up to play the Jets this year we better strap out chin straps on tight, cuz it's gonna be a long day.

I dont know im not rusty jones. all i know is that since he left we have been riddled with injuries every season. more so than the previous decade.

its possible that he wouldnt have prevented that injury. but the fact is that he never had the chance to try.

maybe conditioning wouldnt have helped. maybe some better strength and flexibility would have.

point is, not only did we see a sharp rise in injuries since he left, but remember those first seasons without him when our big guys on the OLine and DLine were completely sucking wind and unable to play in the 4th quarter of games? i do.

I always wondered if the best trainers were just the trainers with the best juice.

I think a lot of people are assuming (hoping?) Favre is going to stink it up as a Jet and show his age. Sure it could happen that way, but I think it just as likely that he has a year or two in him yet. He was pretty darn good last season. I would rather be facing the Pennington Jets than the Favre Jets. On what basis are people projecting a steep decline? Because Rich Gannon went that way?

kj

Farve has one good season the past 3 years. Last year was absolutly amazing and i would love to see Favre play again but one has to wonder what is left in his tank. He has been considering retirement for years finally does it and changes his mind after not training in the offseason. His body is tough but it has taken alot of punishment. Steve McNair comes to mind. he had a great first season with the ravens 13-3 if i recall correctly. Next season it was the Kyle Boller show becasue McNair could barely walk. Idk maybe Favre will lead the Jets to the super bowl, they certanly have the names for it but at his age and recent history of considering retirements, not really wanting to be in a jet uniform, and 18INT seasons it wouldnt surprise me to see the packers seem very smart stealing a third round pick for Favre.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...akes/index.html

Ross Tucker weighs in at CNNSI:

The Jets had already made strides to close the gap on the Bills with their free-agent spending spree this offseason. Landing Favre could vault them over the young Bills for second place in the AFC East behind New England. At the very least, the Jets-Bills games in Week 9 and 15 could be a lot more interesting.

I think Tucker overstates the case, though.

kj

I would bet that he's going to struggle, but a struggling Favre is still an upgrade for them this year.

My main reasons for thinking he'll struggle:

- first time in 16 years he'll have to really learn an offense

- not in football condition

- weaker supporting cast

- tougher conference

- exponentially greater media scrutiny/pressure

I think this hits the nail on the head. His is definitely a better otpion than Pennington, but how much better is the question? I have a hard time believing that he is going to pick up a new offense in a month. Even though he is a 16 year vet, he has prrobably only really studied a playbook for 5 years in the beginning of his career, though since then, I'm sure he still reviews it, but I doubt that he really studies it. He hasn't had to ggo to different teams and learn their plays or that many new coaches either.

I haven't heard a lot about the type of offense the Jets run, but I didn't think it was close to what Farve has been used to previously.

Also, he's not in a division with the Lions and Chicago anymore. Miami might be an easy out relatively speaking, but the Bills (and even the Jets in past years) would have been marginal playoff teams in the NFC, while toiling in mediocrity in the AFC. Whole new setup for him.

The Jets have a 39 yo guy who was not sure he wanted to play for the team he was with for 15+ years. He has had one good season in the last 4-5 years. A definite upgrade over Pennington, but he may throw 29 INTs again.

If the Jets start out 1-3 and the NY media gets on him is he really going to want to be there? That's a huge reason Green Bay did not want him....if a guy can not make up his mind if he wants to play what happens to his desire when things go bad?

I am actually loking forward to the Bills getting 2-3 INTs per game against the Jets. Did Favre really wow people at the Ralph 2 yrs ago?

I would bet that he's going to struggle, but a struggling Favre is still an upgrade for them this year.

My main reasons for thinking he'll struggle:

- first time in 16 years he'll have to really learn an offense

- not in football condition

- weaker supporting cast

- tougher conference

- exponentially greater media scrutiny/pressure

This is huge. Old dog, new tricks, new terminology, and new WR's to throw to. The other way it makes the Jets less potent over the long term is that it delays the seasoning of Kellen Clemens (unless they've totally given up on him). We're in Year 2 of seasoning TE, and they're not even in Year 1.

That team went 9-7 winning 7 of the last 9 and were in the playoff hunt going into the last game. This includes getting robbed in the opener on the Jacksonville "push out" TD. That's the best the Bills have done in the past 3 years since. If we had given Drew one more year and kept the momentum going, we'd a been a playoff team in 2005 instead of suckin with JP. Dumbest move in Bills history since cutting Doug Flutie.

When the Bills suit up to play the Jets this year we better strap out chin straps on tight, cuz it's gonna be a long day.

i was almost about to agree with you until you said that and lost all cred.

have you forgotten what a complete joke our offense was the last 2 seasons bledsoe was here? To the point that his guy, Bill Parcells, completely disrespected him by rushing 9 and 10 (thats right, TEN) on defense and leaving one safety back when we played Dallas.

Our pocket looked more like a feeding frenzy than an offense when he dropped back to pass.

as far as momentum, the only momentum Bledsoe had was what little he could muster up so he could make it from the locker room to the playing field.

i was almost about to agree with you until you said that and lost all cred.

have you forgotten what a complete joke our offense was the last 2 seasons bledsoe was here? To the point that his guy, Bill Parcells, completely disrespected him by rushing 9 and 10 (thats right, TEN) on defense and leaving one safety back when we played Dallas.

Our pocket looked more like a feeding frenzy than an offense when he dropped back to pass.

as far as momentum, the only momentum Bledsoe had was what little he could muster up so he could make it from the locker room to the playing field.

In Drew's last year, the Bills scored 24.7 points per game. 7th best in the NFL. 21 passing TDs. Sounds pretty good about now. In the last 3 years the best we've been able to do is 18.8 and rank 23rd in points scored.

Since when is winning 7 out of the last 9 not momentum? That's the textbook definition of momentum. We should have built on that instead of blowing it up. We're now seeing the results.

Revisionist History. Criminy Louise.