I have a question about how good we will be this year

krazykat

I've been trying to figure out how good we will be this year. Both our O and D sucked last year but our D has made some very good upgrades. Stroud is capable of playing like a monster and we have Simpson and Poz back from injury and added Mitchell and some depth to D.

Offensively it's a little scarier since our best lineman by good margin is holding out and we really haven't made too many changes to it otherwise and Hardy's not really making a bid to be ROTY in the early going to understate the situation. On top of that he's battling a hamstring issue which could linger.

But here's where the confusion really kicks in. Most of the writers say we can or should make the playoffs this year. Bills fans are obviously split on this.

But why then does Vegas have us at 7.5 for a season O/U then? That isn't suggestive that the average shmo thinks we will make the playoffs.

Also, looking at the Vegas odds, if we're really that good, then why are we just above the Jets, Ravens, and Lions for season win totals?

Why are we ranked 21st in odds to win the SB and behind Cincinnati, Denver, Arizona, and Philadelphia there?

Why are we ranked 11th of 16 and ahead of only the Jets, Chiefs, Ravens, Raiders, and Dolphins to win the AFC Championship?

Once the playoffs start any team is just as unlikely or likely to have to face the Pats, so that can't be it. These odds are from just days prior to the opening of camp, so Peters can't be it.

I just don't see the reason why the money says one thing which is pretty significantly off.

The question may be rhetorical and nothing I've stated is negative. It's just a question.

I openly admit that I think we're not a playoff team regardless of the notion that I would like it to be.

If the Pro Bowl LT shows up, and if the second-year QB and second-year RB and rookie WR turn out to be studs, and if the D isn't whacked by the injury bug, then yeah, this could be a playoff team.

Depends on how many ifs you want to bet on, I suppose. And although this is stating the obvious, "playoff team" doesn't necessarily equal conference and/or Super Bowl champ.

The defense should be much better

If Peters comes back ready to play the offense should be slightly better-

Special teams is the big question mark and that is troubling - a lot of fans looked at last year team and think we had a 7-9 offense and a 7-9 defense not me a 3-13 offense and a 5-11 defense who were propped up by a 13-3 special teams

10-6 if Peters plays well right from the start and special teams remain elite

If the Pro Bowl LT shows up, and if the second-year QB and second-year RB and rookie WR turn out to be studs, and if the D isn't whacked by the injury bug, then yeah, this could be a playoff team.

Depends on how many ifs you want to bet on, I suppose. And although this is stating the obvious, "playoff team" doesn't necessarily equal conference and/or Super Bowl champ.

I understand that, but odds are all built around a majority rules system of sorts. 7/8 win teams also aren't playoff teams.

So what's your opinion for the disagreement between what many if not most of the writers say and the VOs? We can IF ourselves into the next millenium. IF Edwards flops we'll be lucky to win five games too.

Writers, vegas odds, blah blah blah.

Writers think we should be a good team because we have young talent with a lot of upside, were 7-6 and threatening to the playoffs before the last 3 weeks despite having the second worst offense, the third worst defense, and more players on injured reserve than anyone.

Vegas odds are based on what will get even bets from the betting public, and I think the betting public probably sees us as a team with young talent (aka haven't done anything yet), and a team that went 7-9, losing the last 3 games of the season when they mattered most.

No one except bills fans sees the bills as being a potential conference or super bowl champion, and even I don't see that for us this year. Either way, all of those rankings and odds you have listed, they're all just what someone thinks, or what someone thinks that everyone else will think, because jack asses like us have nothing better to do with our time than wish it was football season and think about how it's going to be this season. Basically what I'm saying is, who gives a donkey about vegas odds or sports writers?

I know in my heart the bills are going to be good this year. We'll either make the playoffs or be the next team in line. The bills are turning the corner, and this group of players is going to make it happen for us.

The defense should be much better

If Peters comes back ready to play the offense should be slightly better-

Special teams is the big question mark and that is troubling - a lot of fans looked at last year team and think we had a 7-9 offense and a 7-9 defense not me a 3-13 offense and a 5-11 defense who were propped up by a 13-3 special teams

10-6 if Peters plays well right from the start and special teams remain elite

Special teams will be fine, Bobby April is the best special teams coach in the whole league, also we did add Mckelvin and still have John Wendling, the tackle machine.

Special teams will be fine, Bobby April is the best special teams coach in the whole league, also we did add Mckelvin and still have John Wendling, the tackle machine.

Also, with upgrades to our starting linebacking corp. Elison and DiGiorgio should be awesome on special teams. They should be able to fill in for some of those key special teamers we lost.

Like Lori said, we have a lot of questions on this team. That is why we get little respect. Start with the fact that our Pro bowl LT is not in camp and we have a 2nd year QB. Those things in itself are major red flags. Will Stroud be the beast we all hope for???? I truely hope TE comes in and lights it up, but in realilty I will be happy just to see him progress. The odds are not based on speculation with rose colored lenses. It's all about the numbers, and young players don't have much to rely on statistically.

I understand that, but odds are all built around a majority rules system of sorts. 7/8 win teams also aren't playoff teams.

So what's your opinion for the disagreement between what many if not most of the writers say and the VOs? We can IF ourselves into the next millenium. IF Edwards flops we'll be lucky to win five games too.

i have to say that 7/8 win teams are usually not that much different from playoff teams though. I can think of 3 games off the top of my head that were determined by a last second play, winning one of the 3 in washington. The cleveland game was a coin flip honestly, it was who could get the best field position on the day( i couldnt even see the field from my seats, not that high up)

I could see us anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5, my guess would be closer to the latter

But why then does Vegas have us at 7.5 for a season O/U then? That isn't suggestive that the average shmo thinks we will make the playoffs.
Track record this decade. Until they prove otherwise on the field, 7.5 looks right.

I honestly do not care if they have a better or worse record than last year, as long as they are more entertaining than last year. Some of the games we won last year were some of the most God-aweful, boring, horribly played football I've watched in a long time. Win or lose, I want a good show.

Guest dog14787

I truly Billieve we will make the playoffs this year. :devil:

I guess if you look hard enough though, you could find a thousand reasons why we won't, what if, what if, what if. What if Tom Brady goes down for the Patriots, what if the Mannings go down for the Giants and Colts.

What if we think about the positives and not dwell on the negatives. What if we cross those bridges when the time comes, what if we never give up, we never give in, what if despite all odds, we make it to the big dance.

What if we bring a championship home to Buffalo. :angry:

False: Edwards or no Edwards- here a realistic look at how next year will shape up.

09/07 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS Up for Grabs

09/14 @ Jacksonville Jaguars Probably a Loss

09/21 OAKLAND RAIDERS Win

09/28 @ St. Louis Rams Win

10/05 @ Arizona Cardinals Win

10/12 BYE

10/19 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS Probably a loss

10/26 @ Miami Dolphins Win

11/02 NEW YORK JETS Win

11/09 @ New England Patriots Probably a loss

11/17 CLEVELAND BROWNS Up for grabs

11/23 @ Kansas City Chiefs Win

11/30 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS Win

12/07 MIAMI DOLPHINS (Toronto) Win

12/14 @ New York Jets Up for grabs

12/21 @ Denver Broncos Up for grabs

12/28 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS Probably a loss

The wins I counted are teams we are just plain better than. And since the Jauron era began, never has a Bills team lowered itself to the level of its opponent. In fact, they've done the opposite. So, history would dictate that if Buffalo faces a team they're better than, they will win.

That's how I counted the games we'll win (no matter who plays QB, LT, RB, WR, etc.).

I give us 8 wins. I think that's fair. Which mean, realistically, Buffalo needs 2 more wins to crack the playoffs. I counted 4 "up for grabs" games. 2 are at home 2 are on the road. If they get the two home wins (Seattle, Monday against Cle), then they're in a great position for the playoffs. If the road games -NYJ (wk 15) and Denver (wk 16)- mean something (like weeks 15-17 have the last two years), then Buffalo is in the drivers seat. Having been in the situation before, I have faith that maturity will have set in and they come away with one of those wins, giving them 11.

Guest dog14787

This is a championship caliber team in the makings, might take a year or two, but we're going back soon and nothing is going to stop us this time. :angry: