Obama's starting to sound like Hugo Chavez...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When he says "tax breaks", he's probably also referring to asset depreciation. As they pump out a field, they can depreciate the value of the land on their books and - at the risk of oversimplifying - treat it as a "charge" against their earnings. That ends up being a pretty hefty tax break.

Technical point - although I'm not fully versed in oil & gas accounting - in other sectors land isn't depreciable property. But I'm guessing leasehold rights get depreciated or expensed, thus the "tax break" on something that you paid for in the first place.

Big deal. Obama has received something like $300k in contributions himself.

Just found it interesting that a large amount of contributions came after he started pressing for drilling now. Oh and the standing ovation by oil execs... awesome!!

Just found it interesting that a large amount of contributions came after he started pressing for drilling now. Oh and the standing ovation by oil execs... awesome!!

Perhaps that's due to the election calendar and not his reiteration that he's for offshore drilling....

Benefit of the doubt, ok.

Uh, no - the Republicans will get more from energy interests due to their policies, but this is the period in the campaign where the major fund-raising happens, thus its no surprise that either candidate's donations are increasing heavily right now. It was just inevitable that McCain was going to get a huge increase from energy interests.

With oil prices dropping and demand waning (so say reports), does that mean Obama's "windfall" profit tax plan will be dead before it even gets off the ground, assuming Exxon-Mobile profit drops?

Or will he just find some other group of people making gobs of money and tax them a bunch?

With oil prices dropping and demand waning (so say reports), does that mean Obama's "windfall" profit tax plan will be dead before it even gets off the ground, assuming Exxon-Mobile profit drops?

Or will he just find some other group of people making gobs of money and tax them a bunch?

I thought I heard that too. He is out to get all of the major companies. It's just a matter of time. jk :unsure:

Damn. There goes my grand.....