LOL, Even McCargo and the Team disagree with those of you that think M

Your little "solo" reach-around is quite entertaining. Don't let the vapor-free world to discourage you from continuing on your chosen trajectory.

It's very telling that you didn't appreciate the irony in "Dawgg" laughing with your "Credibility" post. Or that there was a homosexual reference in your reply.

Then again, when all it takes to gain some credibility is a comped drink or two...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when all it takes to gain some credibility is a comped drink or two...

Good point. Others among your vast body of shortcomings nearly led me to forget that you're a thief to boot.

Look at any of the Donahoe drafts :unsure: It's a guessing game. Sometimes there are players that you KNOW are going to make it like a Larry Fitzgerald, a Ladanian Tomlinson, a Mario Williams, a Patrick Willis, a D'Brikashaw Ferguson. Other times you have people that are supposed to be locks that turn into nothing like a Ryan Leaf, Reggie Bush, Mike Williams (Texas and USC version), Robet Gallery, and the list goes on. 20/20 is hindsight, but it can't change the present. And it's not a conspiracy to sell the Bills and move them out of town.

It is not a guessing game. A select few teams and/or GM's make a heckuva lot better draft picks than bad ones. Polian, AJ Smith, and a host of others consistently have excellent drafts. And that's after having 3-4 years to review a given one.

I love how when the Bills make a bad pick that the draft is a crap-shoot. But when they have a "stellar" draft, it's because the front office are geniuses. Which flows into the next point:

4. I suggest checking out drafts from any random team from, oh, say 2005 and find a better batting average. You'll be hard pressed to do so.

Buffalo has two what I'd call long term starters in Whitner and Butler. Williams is a wave player, and we know it. Simpson is having an issue remaining healthy, and while it's not due to play, FS is an area this team will upgrage in the next year or so.

2-3 starters per draft is an average one. What constitutes a long term starter is another thing.

Good point. Others among your vast body of shortcomings nearly led me to forget that you're a thief to boot.

You're a joke. For starters, let's assume that I do bring my own drinks into bars, which I don't. How is that "stealing?" Much less when I've spent money on a soda (and probably food) in which to put my hooch, like Lynch did? Using that "logic," you have stolen by bringing alcohol into Bills games.

Sorry but if anyone is stealing, it's you getting comped drinks from your barkeep friends. Under the guise that your worthless presence somehow means more than a celeb like Lynch. Then again, it could be a sign of just how MUCH you drink. Which would explain a lot.

BTW, did anyone find the words "blue chip" and Ngata together? Did you find anyone who saw Lynch drinking that night? Care to take a guess why not?

Credibility indeed. :unsure:

You're a joke. For starters, let's assume that I do bring my own drinks into bars, which I don't. How is that "stealing?" Much less when I've spent money on a soda (and probably food) in which to put my hooch, like Lynch did? Using that "logic," you have stolen by bringing alcohol into Bills games.

Sorry but if anyone is stealing, it's you getting comped drinks from your barkeep friends. Under the guise that your worthless presence somehow means more than a celeb like Lynch. Then again, it could be a sign of just how MUCH you drink. Which would explain a lot.

BTW, did anyone find the words "blue chip" and Ngata together? Did you find anyone who saw Lynch drinking that night? Care to take a guess why not?

Credibility indeed. :unsure:

Show me a draft guide for '06 that DIDN'T have Ngata as a # 1 pick in the draft. And he DID go 1st, and he IS a stud.

So what's your problem? There were no surprises, and Buffalo passed on him. McCargo is looking more and more like a bust, and it cost two

picks.

I don't follow you enough to know, so please help me out here. WTF is your point?

McCargo hasn't lived up to expectations.

Coaches say it's put up or shut up time.

McCargo agrees.

Shirley I'm missing something.

he seems angry at something

Show me a draft guide for '06 that DIDN'T have Ngata as a # 1 pick in the draft. And he DID go 1st, and he IS a stud.

There were many that had Bunkley as the top-rated DT.

So what's your problem? There were no surprises, and Buffalo passed on him. McCargo is looking more and more like a bust, and it cost two picks.

My point was that looking back with hindsight, passing on Ngata was a bad move. But at the time, Ngata was considered one of the top 2 DT's, and the Bills probably would have taken the afore-mentioned Bunkley instead, and it's not like he's a great DT either. Not to mention that being a "blue-chip DT" (but being taken 12th overall) doesn't guarantee a player will be successful.

There were many that had Bunkley as the top-rated DT.

My point was that looking back with hindsight, passing on Ngata was a bad move. But at the time, Ngata was considered one of the top 2 DT's, and the Bills probably would have taken the afore-mentioned Bunkley instead, and it's not like he's a great DT either. Not to mention that being a "blue-chip DT" (but being taken 12th overall) doesn't guarantee a player will be successful.

Yeah, they were the two top prospects. Buffalo moved back into the first round, gave a an additional pick to get McCargo, and there

wasn't another DT taken until the beginning of the 3rd round.

If Marv was apparently so desperate to get DT in round one, he could have gotten either one, and passed on both.

So what's your problem? There were no surprises, and Buffalo passed on him. McCargo is looking more and more like a bust, and it cost two

picks.

Way too early to attach a success or bust label to McCargo, but people always seem to need to define things now......

Many label Dan Wilkinson a bust, despite an extremely successful career.

Yeah, they were the two top prospects. Buffalo moved back into the first round, gave a an additional pick to get McCargo, and there

wasn't another DT taken until the beginning of the 3rd round.

If Marv was apparently so desperate to get DT in round one, he could have gotten either one, and passed on both.

I wouldn't call it desperation. I think they saw that McCargo was still there, when they figured he wouldn't be, and made a move. Kind of like they did with Poz. Apparently they liked Whitner a lot more than any of the DT's.

Credibility indeed. :blink:

http://deseretnews.com/blogs/monthly/1,555...0201&sc=dmn

http://www.profootball24x7.com/about_colum...=3&aid=2225

http://rotoscoop.com/blog/2006/04/25/nfl-d...iew-picks-1-10/

Ask and you shall receive ...

Only the last link called him a blue chip DT prior, and in reference, to the NFL draft (the first called him one as a high school player and the 2nd is saying it in hindsight). So yes, you got me that someone, even if it was "rotoscoop," called him a blue chip DT prior to being drafted. But the 2nd link pretty much gives the reasons he wasn't considered one by many "experts."

Still the point that calling him a blue chip DT didn't guarantee anything, based on other blue chip DT's who failed, many of whom had the same concerns as Ngata. And given that the Bills were looking to implement the cover-2, they were more likely to draft Bunkley (who also could have been considered a blue chip DT), but hasn't played like one.

And as for McCargo, here's a little something from PFW:

The Bills knew they were taking a risk when they traded for talented but troubled Jaguars DT Marcus Stroud this offseason. Thus far, the gamble looks to be paying off in a big way. Stroud has been a force and the consummate professional in Bills camp, showing no ill effects from the ankle injury that prematurely ended his 2007 campaign in Jacksonville, and routinely has been collapsing the pocket from his interior DL spot. Then again, as one team insider reminded PFW, “it’s still very much the honeymoon period,” so it remains to be seen if he’ll keep up his energy level through camp and into the season. If he can, the Bills look to be strong at the DT position, as Kyle Williams, fresh off his contract extension, and third-year pro John McCargo have been playing particularly well, too.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A.../wwhi080108.htm

Gotcha. So now that someone HAS actually found the words "blue chip" and Ngata together, it doesn't count anyway. I understand perfectly.

Been nice talking to you.

Gotcha. So now that someone HAS actually found the words "blue chip" and Ngata together, it doesn't count anyway. I understand perfectly.

Been nice talking to you.

If that's what you got out of it, then yes, it's been nice. Bye.

Way too early to attach a success or bust label to McCargo, but people always seem to need to define things now......

Many label Dan Wilkinson a bust, despite an extremely successful career.

I wouldn't say it's way too early given that he has had 2 seasons under his belt and the fact that the organization and coaching staff have openly questioned his commitment/desire.

Dan Wilkinson is considered a bust because of where he was chosen, as the #1 overall pick.

If Marv was apparently so desperate to get DT in round one, he could have gotten either one, and passed on both in favor of a strong safety who thus far has been more talk than walk.

Only the last link called him a blue chip DT prior, and in reference, to the NFL draft (the first called him one as a high school player and the 2nd is saying it in hindsight).

The problem is your constant "hindsight" issue. He was the highest rated DT in the draft going in, Marv skipped over him and Bunkley, took

a DT NOONE had going anywhere near that high: Ngata did go first as projected, and has turned out to te a stud, again as projected.

Quit calling Marv's failure to draft the best DT when available a hindsight issue for everyone else: maybe your's and his, but not too many elses.

It is not a guessing game. A select few teams and/or GM's make a heckuva lot better draft picks than bad ones. Polian, AJ Smith, and a host of others consistently have excellent drafts. And that's after having 3-4 years to review a given one.

I love how when the Bills make a bad pick that the draft is a crap-shoot. But when they have a "stellar" draft, it's because the front office are geniuses. Which flows into the next point:

Buffalo has two what I'd call long term starters in Whitner and Butler. Williams is a wave player, and we know it. Simpson is having an issue remaining healthy, and while it's not due to play, FS is an area this team will upgrage in the next year or so.

2-3 starters per draft is an average one. What constitutes a long term starter is another thing.

It is a guessing game of sorts. All of the players I named in the previous post were supposed to be locks to be top notch pros. Reggie Bush looked like a young Gale Sayers while playing at USC. I know that he was one of the most electrifying players that I've ever seen in college football. EVER. You mean to tell me that the almighty BillsVet knew that Reggie wouldn't live up to the expectations in the NFL. The Saints sure didn't believe so which is why they made him the 2nd overall pick and threw millions of dollars in front of him. Nobody knew from the 4 years that Ryan Leaf had in college that he would be a "nut job" of sorts. Both Mike Williams were supposed to be GOOD players. How's that worked out? Michael Huff? Robert Gallery? Vernon Davis? Chad Greenway? Bobby Carpenter? Alex Smith? Cedric Benson? Troy Williamson? Travis Johnson? Erasmus James? You can review drafts of previous years and come across hundreds of players that were expected to be something that they never lived up to the hype of. The GM's and organizations who drafted these players certainly saw fit for that individual to be taken by their team. That roll of the dice on that particular individual just didn't seem to work out. I believe they all had plenty of time and plenty of tapes they reviewed before making their decisions.

The problem is your constant "hindsight" issue. He was the highest rated DT in the draft going in, Marv skipped over him and Bunkley, took

a DT NOONE had going anywhere near that high: Ngata did go first as projected, and has turned out to te a stud, again as projected.

Quit calling Marv's failure to draft the best DT when available a hindsight issue for everyone else: maybe your's and his, but not too many elses.

Sure it's hindsight. I mentioned a list of other "blue chip" DT's who failed in the NFL, and a link Lori provided explained why Ngata's stock dropped. To me this is no better than lamenting on how the Bills missed on Tom Brady or Marques Colston or Antonio Gates.

But the real test would be to see how many of you were clamoring for the Bills to draft Ngata or even Bunkley prior to the 2006 draft. I'd be willing to bet most that wanted a DT wanted Bunkley, who fit the cover-2 better, and his stats last year as a starter were little better than McCargo's as a backup, and he couldn't use injury as an excuse.

It is a guessing game of sorts. All of the players I named in the previous post were supposed to be locks to be top notch pros. Reggie Bush looked like a young Gale Sayers while playing at USC. I know that he was one of the most electrifying players that I've ever seen in college football. EVER. You mean to tell me that the almighty BillsVet knew that Reggie wouldn't live up to the expectations in the NFL. The Saints sure didn't believe so which is why they made him the 2nd overall pick and threw millions of dollars in front of him. Nobody knew from the 4 years that Ryan Leaf had in college that he would be a "nut job" of sorts. Both Mike Williams were supposed to be GOOD players. How's that worked out? Michael Huff? Robert Gallery? Vernon Davis? Chad Greenway? Bobby Carpenter? Alex Smith? Cedric Benson? Troy Williamson? Travis Johnson? Erasmus James? You can review drafts of previous years and come across hundreds of players that were expected to be something that they never lived up to the hype of. The GM's and organizations who drafted these players certainly saw fit for that individual to be taken by their team. That roll of the dice on that particular individual just didn't seem to work out. I believe they all had plenty of time and plenty of tapes they reviewed before making their decisions.

When was the last time Bill Polian missed on a first round pick? How about AJ Smith? Bad teams repeatedly draft in the top half of the first round. Not surprisingly, bad teams like the Lions, Cards, and 49ers consistently draft poorly, putting them back at the top of the draft. Yet at the same time, when was the last time NE, JAX, IND, or PHI had a top 10 pick they didn't acquire via trade?

Go back and check how often the bottom dwellers of the NFL over the past 6-8 years are drafting early. OAK, DET, ARI, SF, ATL, MIA and until recently HOU and CLE make a host of bad picks over the years. They'd get one right every now and then, but overall, their mediocre drafting is the reason they can't get into the playoffs.

Your post is pure drivel, because it specifically selects first rounders who haven't lived up to expectations. It's obvious to me you're rifling through a stats page for proof that the draft is a total guessing game.