(OT) Dell, rhymes with Hell

dib

OK, I've had it with this paperweight they call a computer. And, no I dont want to build one. I'm looking for a good off the shelf model. It wont be a games platform but should be able to handle them (for my kids).

Any help would be appreciated.

OK, I've had it with this paperweight they call a computer.  And, no I dont want to build one.  I'm looking for a good off the shelf model.  It wont be a games platform but should be able to handle them (for my kids).

75704[/snapback]

I got a Dell desktop a few months ago and I love it. What's the problem?

OK, I've had it with this paperweight they call a computer.  And, no I dont want to build one.  I'm looking for a good off the shelf model.  It wont be a games platform but should be able to handle them (for my kids).

Quality PC's

:o

I got a Dell desktop a few months ago and I love it. What's the problem?

75708[/snapback]

Well, lets see.

My sound card went down

my A drive went down'

then did I mention that my cd drive went down

Of course if you ignore the hardware problems there are always the software problems, like:

I could not connect to the internet

The dell will not shut itself down even when told to and now, the latest (drum roll please) the user init sequence has failed and the computer will not open for use.

These are only the things I remember off hand, the rest are in a thick file folder at home.

There were so many probles that Dell 'promised' if there were any more they would replace the tower.

Guess what. Nuh uh.

They asked me if I would recommend Dell. I was still laughing when I hung up.

Oh, btw, the people the show you talking to for service calls? Well, they live in India.

Well, lets see.

My sound card went down

my A drive went down'

Of course if you ignore the hardware problems there are always the software problems, like:

I could not connect to the internet

The dell will not shut itself down even when told to and now, the latest (drum roll please) the user init sequence has failed and the computer will not open for use.

These are only the things I remember off hand, the rest are in a thick file folder at home.

There were so many probles that Dell 'promised' if there were any more they would replace the tower.

Guess what. Nuh uh.

They asked me if I would recommend Dell.  I was still laughing when I hung up.

Oh, btw, the people the show you talking to for service calls?  Well, they live in India.

75723[/snapback]

Wow. Sounds like you bought a lemon. Just like anything from electronics to cars you sometimes just get a bad one. The customer service problems are inexcusable though. I have had zero problems with mine, (knock on wood) and they should just replace yours without question.

Well, lets see.

My sound card went down

my A drive went down'

Are you sure it's all hardware related? Sounds suspicious that all three things would die around the same time. I'm guessing it's either a software (OS) issue or you have something wrong in your house. Do you have a UPS connected to the machine? If not, you might be getting bad power to the system which is frying the components. A surge protector protects against power spikes, but NOT power sags which can actually be more dangerous to electronics. Is your house dry? Do you shock yourself when touching light switches, etc? Static electricity is also VERY bad for electronics.

But again, I question how you know these are all hardware issues. Can you boot from your floppy drive? If so, the drive is fine. Can you boot from the CD-ROM? If so, the drive is fine. The soundcard is pretty much impossible to test without the OS.

Did you pay for the warrenty or is it just the free "1 year support!" No offense, but if you didn't pay for support, you'd get the same results talking to Panasonic about your new microwave (for example) if it were having problems (even though the microwave has "1 year support!" on it too). On the other hand, I have a workstation from Compaq and it included 3 years of *on-site* support. I had an issue when I first got it (it wouldn't boot at all). The tech support guy (who wasn't in India because, again, I paid for good support) told me to try something and if it didn't work they'd send a tech out to my house to replace the mainboard. Luckily, flashing the BIOS worked (not sure why, but hey), and I've been good since.

The moral of the story is that you get what you pay for.

The second moral of the story is to make sure you're getting clean power into your system - buy a UPS from APC.

Alternatively, install Linux/OpenBSD and see if everything works. Then you'll at least know if it's hardware or software. :o

CW

. A surge protector protects against power spikes, but NOT power sags which can actually be more dangerous to electronics. Is your house dry? Do you shock yourself when touching light switches, etc? Static electricity is also VERY bad for electronics.

The house is dry (a/c almost all the time) the unit has been connect to a surge protector. Basically it's been one thing after another over a period of time. Time to say sayonarra (or whatever they say in India) to Dell.

But I do heartily agree- you get what you pay for.

Do you have a UPS connected to the machine?  If not, you might be getting bad power to the system which is frying the components.  A surge protector protects against power spikes, but NOT power sags which can actually be more dangerous to electronics.  Is your house dry?  Do you shock yourself when touching light switches, etc?  Static electricity is also VERY bad for electronics.

75741[/snapback]

First, power sags are not as dangerous or more dangerous to electronics as power spikes. The problem with power sags, is that it might corrupt your data. There is nothing in a power sag that will cause damage to electronic equipment.

Next, your advice about a UPS is correct. All computers should be connected to a UPS. It does more than a line conditioner, in the fact that it provides batttery backup to prevent the potential data corruption resulting from power sags/power glitches/power outages.

You are also correct about the potential hazards of static electricity. It is essentially a power spike induced into your electronic equipment. No surge protection/line conditioner/UPS will protect you against static electricity when you touch the device. Proper humidity in the room is the only solution.

First, power sags are not as dangerous or more dangerous to electronics as power spikes. The problem with power sags, is that it might corrupt your data. There is nothing in a power sag that will cause damage to electronic equipment.

Next, your advice about a UPS is correct. All computers should be connected to a UPS. It does more than a line conditioner, in the fact that it provides batttery backup to prevent the potential data corruption resulting from power sags/power glitches/power outages.

You are also correct about the potential hazards of static electricity. It is essentially a power spike induced into your electronic equipment. No surge protection/line conditioner/UPS will protect you against static electricity when you touch the device. Proper humidity in the room is the only solution.

75821[/snapback]

"Why Engineers Aren't Invited to Parties" by KRC. Forward by DC Tom.