Another horrible call by refs on MNF

zow2

Illegal block in the back wipes a an 80-yd punt return TD by the Rams. The replay of course shows it was a perfectly legal block. You can tell Madden is PO'd by the bad refereeing. it seems worse this year. Huge game changing calls are made by these morons. They don't need to throw a friggin' flag unless it's 100% obvious.

Illegal block in the back wipes a an 80-yd punt return TD by the Rams.  The replay of course shows it was a perfectly legal block.  You can tell Madden is PO'd by the bad refereeing.  it seems worse this year.  Huge game changing calls are made by these morons.  They don't need to throw a friggin' flag unless it's 100% obvious.

75405[/snapback]

Huh? There's a football game on?

Every year people say "it's the worst it's ever been!"

I am surprised though, as the #1 thing they teach you as an official is "it's not a penalty unless you explicitly saw the play." Maybe that changes at the pro level, but I worked with a Big-10 official and that's what he taught me.

CW

I've said before, I can stomach a bad call if the ref fails to see something that happens, but when they imagine things that aren't there, the implications are a lot more serious. I hesitate to say they are being dishonest simply because of the ramifications but really there is no excuse for it. The league simply has to do a better job of training and disciplining officials. I wonder if it's time to consider full time officials. I know the big question is what do they do the rest of the year. I think they could start in June with conditioning, review of rules changes, and maybe a virtual reality practice system could be devised by the league. In August they can be involved in NFL team training camps, and continue to spend a few days per week in team practice situations. Then the Bills wouldn't have to hire Arena league officials. On Mondays, however, they should have to review film and disciplined for the most bonheaded calls. For officials that work the post season, that would mean they are working 8 months out of the year.