Peter King's mailbag

This happy talk is all predicated on 2 things:

1. Brett plays at an all-world level at 39 years of age

2. He plays at this level in a foreign offense with no prior interaction with the coaches, WRs, RBs and OL (not to metion lack of a TE)

3. He does not revert to the form he exhibited in the years prior to 2007 when he was a turnover machine

4. He does all this on Sundays with limited time commited in the off-season and during each week. He wants the glory but his commitment to getting there is gone

? :blink: ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew the Jets would be involved in this Favre thing...it just makes too much sense....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504613

Pennington, meanwhile, said Friday that Tannenbaum told him the team has talked to the Packers about Favre. It didn't sound like Tannenbaum assured Pennington that the Jets aren't interested.

"Bottom line, an organization has to take a look at every player available in this league. Period," Pennington said. "A general manager and a head coach is going to do everything they can do to make their team as good as they can make it. That's their job."

I knew the Jets would be involved in this Favre thing...it just makes too much sense....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504613

Pennington, meanwhile, said Friday that Tannenbaum told him the team has talked to the Packers about Favre. It didn't sound like Tannenbaum assured Pennington that the Jets aren't interested.

"Bottom line, an organization has to take a look at every player available in this league. Period," Pennington said. "A general manager and a head coach is going to do everything they can do to make their team as good as they can make it. That's their job."

Apparently the Packers called the Jets, not vice versa. And not sure if this has any validity at all, but...

Jets | Favre appears to have no interest in team

Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:38:32 -0700

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN, reports Green Bay Packers retired QB Brett Favre does not appear to have any interest in playing for the New York Jets.

Apparently the Packers called the Jets, not vice versa. And not sure if this has any validity at all, but...

If the Mort report is right, I am starting to think Favre stays retired...they are not going to release him, he has (supposedly) already said he was interested in the Jets and Bucs...I am curious as to when he was talking to the Vikings. I haven' t heard if it was before, or after, he asked for his release. You know the Packers are going to do anything they can to block him from playing for the Vikings. But, it appears the Vikings are his only preference. As you (astutely) pointed out, the number of teams that would really benefit from him playing with them for 1 or 2 years are pretty minimal. The Pack has few teams in the NFC they would be willing to deal him to, and there are really only 3 teams, as I see it, (Baltimore, Buffalo and NY Jets) in the AFC that are on the bubble as far as playoff hopes go. Baltimore has already ruled him out, and obtaining Favre is not the kind of the thing the Bills (post-TD especially) seem inclined to do. That is why I think the Jets make the most sense.

If the Mort report is right, I am starting to thing Favre stays retired...

IMO, there are probably only about 5-6 possibilities in the entire league, and I think the Bills actually are one of them. First, say, a third of the league has solid veteran high priced starting QBs and have no interest in Favre. Another third, say, are not contenders at all, or have bad lines or offenses and Favre wouldn't want to play for them. The last third, half of the teams are probably teams that the Packers are not going to trade him to. So that leaves about 5 or so possibilities. Favre has to want them, they have to want Favre, and the teams have to agree on a trade and a contract. So a lot has to happen. I think it's at least a 50-50 chance he plays somewhere though.

Not to beat a dead horse (and because I couldn't stand to see Brett Favre talk bumped off the first page) I was listening to the Ben Maller overnight show on FOX Sports Radio last night. He is reporting that the Jets have contacted the Vikings, and, possbibly, the Ravens, to guage their interest in obtaining Chad Pennington...maybe they are trying to make room for the hick from Kiln?

Sorry, no link. If you are unfamiliar with Maller, he is billed as the "Drudge of the sports world"...he has a sports rumour site. I checked his site, but he was doing his show at a remote location last night, as he was actually on vacation...perhaps the reason he hasn't posted it on his site.