Ever meet a Buffalo Bills player?

players i have met and talked to. the oddest meeting was jim kelly i peed in the next yernal to him in a restroom lol james lofton , house ballard , glenn parker , i met thurman at his sports training place in west seneca, met mark kelso at a high school game, i walked next to oj during our little league parade , i met tony greene at a bills game , andrea reed , hung out with marv levy at the chase corp. challenge. they were all fun to talk to.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met any players? Yeah, a few. (For visual proof, you can click on my profile and check out the photo of the boys mugging for my camera at last November's WGR Whiney Awards dinner.)

One guy I always enjoyed talking to was Ross Tucker. Saw him at training camp the day after he and Sam Adams got into a practice-field scuffle; when I asked what happened, he said with a straight face, "Oh, he likes Big Macs and I told him that Whoppers were better." Not the least bit surprised that Tucker went into the media when his playing career ended.

Funny that "Burnt Toast" (Scott Berchtold) got a mention. When we did the meet-and-greet with Tom Donahoe in San Antonio, the GM was in fine form -- he started his comments with a promise that he wouldn't take too long, because he knew he was cutting into our Saturday night drinking time. But trying to shepherd TD out of the conference room afterward, Scott looked for all the world like a KGB "minder." He's been cool every other time I've met him, though, so I wonder if TD set that up with him beforehand.

And now that he's in Kansas City, maybe I can finally talk about the night Tim Krumrie bought us a round in Cincinnati ... nah, better not. He threatened bodily harm, and that dude is flat-out scary. :devil:

Met Steve Christie at Wegman's (he was in the cereal aisle), Met Doug Flutie at the same Wegman's a few years later (Flutie Flakes autograph session (got interviewed by channel 4 about how they tasted while in line)).

Also had Wiley give one of the 'stay in school' speaches to us. Most of the kids booed him when he told us to listen to the teachers though :devil: . Actually we did the same thing to Don Postals (who was dreadfully boring and his only prop was a few tiny pictures he printed off of a black and white printer).

Too many to mention individual stories. Tom Day was awesome. Had some beers with Ted Cottrell. Didn't like Ron McDole. Others I met were were Ralph, John Butler, Kelly, Butch Byrd, Al Bemiller, Charley Ferguson, Ernie Warlick, Booker Edgerson, Carl Byrum, Jack Kemp, Darryl Talley, James Lofton, Billy Shaw, Mike Stratton, Leonard Smith, Don Beebe, Marty Shottenheimer, Lou Saban, Wade Phillips, Charlie Joiner, Marv and many others I can't remember right now.

Billy Shaw. How could I have left him out? (Oh yeah ... it was late.) Fantastic guy, and an absolute gentleman. We run into him every time we go to Canton for enshrinement weekend, and it's always one of the highlights of my visit.

In fact, that brings to mind a story from one of my earlier trips down there. As I walked toward the gift shop inside the Hall of Fame, I came up behind a man talking about a red Bills mini-helmet in one of the display cases to the person with him. I overheard him say, "This is their new helmet." Being the nitpicker that I am, of course, I couldn't help butting in and helpfully pointing out that it was actually the pre-2002 version, not the new one with 17 different-colored stripes. As he started to turn toward me, saying, "No, their 'old' helmet is white ..." I finally recognized him. Blushing, I stammered, "... and it has a standing buffalo on the side. I'm sorry, Mr. Shaw. How are you doing?"

Only met Tippy Day once before he left us too soon, but he was also the epitome of class.

Billy Shaw. How could I have left him out? (Oh yeah ... it was late.) Fantastic guy, and an absolute gentleman. We run into him every time we go to Canton for enshrinement weekend, and it's always one of the highlights of my visit.

In fact, that brings to mind a story from one of my earlier trips down there. As I walked toward the gift shop inside the Hall of Fame, I came up behind a man talking about a red Bills mini-helmet in one of the display cases to the person with him. I overheard him say, "This is their new helmet." Being the nitpicker that I am, of course, I couldn't help butting in and helpfully pointing out that it was actually the pre-2002 version, not the new one with 17 different-colored stripes. As he started to turn toward me, saying, "No, their 'old' helmet is white ..." I finally recognized him. Blushing, I stammered, "... and it has a standing buffalo on the side. I'm sorry, Mr. Shaw. How are you doing?"

pwned. :devil:

Only met Tippy Day once before he left us too soon, but he was also the epitome of class.

Absolutely. A fantastic guy and a lot of fun to talk to. I had the opportunity to talk to him a few times before he passed away. I remember being at a charity auction with him. There was an autographed Sabres jersey up and nobody was bidding on it. Finally, he chimed in and bid on it and won. I asked him afterwards if he was a Sabres fan. He said, "No, not really. I just did not want to see the jersey not get enough bids. It's for charity." I think he spend over $200 for it. Class is definitely the right word to describe him.

This is a bit fuzzy, being that it was the early '80s, but a bunch of us were at the Buxton Inn in Hamburg on a Saturday night before a game in which Joe Dufek was going to be the starting QB (look it up, it actually happened). It was like 1:00 in the morning and a couple of us were in the bathroom doing one-hitters when who stumbles in but Joe Dufek himself, all hammered, cigarette dangling from his lips, weaving his way to the urinal. We're like, "Joe Dufek, you've got a game to play in a couple of hours, WTF are you doing here?" He mumbled something incomprehensible and stumbled out of the bathroom. The next day he blew out his knee, as I recall it.

Too many to mention individual stories. Tom Day was awesome. Had some beers with Ted Cottrell. Didn't like Ron McDole. Others I met were were Ralph, John Butler, Kelly, Butch Byrd, Al Bemiller, Charley Ferguson, Ernie Warlick, Booker Edgerson, Carl Byrum, Jack Kemp, Darryl Talley, James Lofton, Billy Shaw, Mike Stratton, Leonard Smith, Don Beebe, Marty Shottenheimer, Lou Saban, Wade Phillips, Charlie Joiner, Marv and many others I can't remember right now.

Quite a list there sir.

I've met a few in my day. Fred Smerlas, Curtis Brown, Charles Romes, Robb Riddick, Leon Seals, Alex Van Pelt, Frank Lewis, Lou Piccone, Ed Rutkowski, Jim Kelly, Terrence McGee, Ralph Wilson, Tom Donahoe, Chuck Knox, and probably a couple others I cannot recall immediately. Most were nice (Rutkowski and I chatted @ one of the Bills' draft parties for close to an hour; nice guy), but a few were jerks.

Quite a list there sir.

I've met a few in my day. Fred Smerlas, Curtis Brown, Charles Romes, Robb Riddick, Leon Seals, Alex Van Pelt, Frank Lewis, Lou Piccone, Ed Rutkowski, Jim Kelly, Terrence McGee, Ralph Wilson, Tom Donahoe, Chuck Knox, and probably a couple others I cannot recall immediately. Most were nice (Rutkowski and I chatted @ one of the Bills' draft parties for close to an hour; nice guy), but a few were jerks.

Piccone was always fun to be around. Played golf with Frank Lewis. Van Pelt and Rutkowsi were also nice.

It's funny that this was brought up because my dad and I were just talking about it this weekend. After the Bills/Giants game in NJ in 1990 (i was 7) we saw biscuit in the parking lot talking to two women. I wanted to get his autograph, but my dad wouldn't let me. He later told me that Bennett was known for having a surly demeanor and he didn't want me to be disappointed. Has anyone met Biscuit before? What was he like? I also saw Mark Campbell and Teague hanging out at Sky bar once. And in an unrelated story, I saw Donavan Mcnabb (guy is a freakin monster) at a bar in Rochester once (he was in town for the wedding of one of his syracuse buddies), I was drunk and shook his hand and told him I was a fan. Then I told him Bledsoe had a better arm than him, he wasn't amused.

Al Bemiller. I forgot about him. He used to ref high school wrestling matches when I was in high school (75-79). he was very cool, a no-nonsense type of guy who'd spend a few minutes with you.

So there I was, with my tongue up this

ooops, wrong thread....

So there I was, back in March of '87, hangin' with The Dean, in a bar, on Bourbon Street, in New Orleans for the Final Four, when two kinda big tall guys barge in thru the place's side door - an emergency exit that that no one else was allowed to use. We look up, and one of 'em is sporting a Bills cap, the other is a bit younger, olive-skinned or very well-tanned, and they've got what I can only describe as a $1000-a-nite 'snow-queen' hangin' on their arms. I do a double-take - it's Jim Kelly, with with fellow UofMiami QB Vinny Testaverde! Imagine that. I see Bills players & coaches all the time 'cause I spend a lot of time at Brierwood CC, and at least half the team lives at Sawgrass, or so it seems, but running into Jimbo in a bar in New Orleans? Small world.

So anyway, in between one of Jimbo's & Vinny's countless trips to the restroom with the snow-queen, I went up and 'gave him the business' about coming in thru the back door (it was the year after NFL ref Ben Dreith made that famous call on Marty Lyons - check out this LINK for a good laugh). Jim laughed, I bought them a round, and wished Vinny good luck in the NFL. I used to see Jim every now and then on the 'Chip Strip' - particularly at Eddie Brady's - not so much any more. (Maybe he's mellowed with age - or maybe I have!) BTW - Indiana beat Syracuse that year for the NCAA title.

Also ran into Doug Flutie when I lived in Boston back in the late '80's,at Zanzibar, a popular Back Bay club at the time - but he wasn't with the Bills yet, obviously. I think he was with the USFL New Jersey Generals at the time. He was just standing there, holding up the wall, not talking to anyone. (Guess he was a dick way back then, too!) Oh yeah - and he's really short.

My other 'encounter with greatness' was in Maui - I was staying at the Grand Wailea resort, May of '98, my future ex-wife & I had a poolside cabana for the day (the rip tide was a bit too strong that day to swim in the ocean), and there, on the lounge chairs right in front of us, was Andre Reed & his lovely wife Cyndi. I really didn't want to bother him, as everyone else in the place was doing just that, but I had a brand new San Francisco Bay Area Bills Backers (SFBABB) t-shirt up the room, so I went & got it and borrowed a laundry marker from the concierge. Andre was amazed - he couldn't believe the whole scenario - a Bills fanatic, at the same hotel, same time, in the cabana right next to him, all purely serendipitously! And the t-shirt - he looked astonished, kept asking me where I got it, kept holding it up & showing his wife & friends. I still have that shirt signed, "To The Senator - Best Wishes, Andre Reed #83 - 5/13/98". I bought him & his party a round of whatever umbrella drinks they were having.

The next morning, I saved Andre Jr.'s life. (OK, OK, I didn't really - but I pulled him away from the edge of the pool just as he was about to fall in - Andre Sr. thanked me. No drinks though. F#ckin' cheapskate.)

On a totally unrelated note, since I invoked the name of "The Dean" earlier, I had lunch - or should I say 'drunch' - with The Hirsute One last Friday. He's well, and sends his regards to anyone that cares.

19 & 0 baby!!! :wacko:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Posluszny!!!!! :thumbsup:

I met O.J. at Buffalo Airport when he was a rookie. He was wearing a knit watch hat to cover up his Rookie Haircut. Seemed like a nice guy-who would have known? I don't recall any gloves! :thumbsup:

I met Jack Kemp many times on flights between Buffalo/Washington DC.

I'm guessing, over 10 years ago, The Bills had some kind of Charity fund raiser at the Walden Galleria. I've got a signed copy or a Nieman type Bills print signed by; Robert James CB, Charlie Ferguson TE, Lou Piccone WR and some unknown signiture-looks like Bob Dugan #74 but after looking at both Relentless I & II I can't figure out who the last signiture is. All these guys were from the "white helmet" era.

For what it's worth, every time I've met or been introduced to a Bills player, they've all been great!

GO BILLS!

I am a member of the Bills backers of southwest florida, and every year in april we fly a few current and former players down for a weekend. this usually includes a golf outing a silent celebrity auction, and a guest bartending gig for the guys when we go out. we usually have more fun with the former players, they just enjoy the ride. But i think i am jinx, the players i play golf with are usually gone within a year of coming down here, let me give you a list of just some i have played a round with..and notice how shortly afterward they were gone....Pat Williams, gone.....Nate Clements.(great golfer) gone...Kenyatta Wright, first time golfing...gone....Jay Foreman, traded...gone, but thank god for the alumni, they arent going anywhere...former bills i/ we have played with....phil hansen, brad lamb, jerry butler,eugene marve( great guy), joe cribbs, ed rutkowski, billy shaw,jerry crafts, don beebe,joe picone. and the list goes on.......but yes we always had a great time, and they are good guys, i wish everyone gets the chance to at least get personal with these guys at least once, its nice to know they are just real people like the rest of us.....

joe picone. I think you mean Lou Picone.

I've met every Bill since 1989 including the draft picks and first year players with the current team. Tasker, Burris and Van Pelt are my favorite former players and current is Jabari Greer.

I think the classiest player is Kevin Everett. He is truly amazing.

joe picone. I think you mean Lou Picone.

I've met every Bill since 1989 including the draft picks and first year players with the current team. Tasker, Burris and Van Pelt are my favorite former players and current is Jabari Greer.

I think the classiest player is Kevin Everett. He is truly amazing.

So maybe you can answer my original question: what was biscuit like? Do you think he would've turned down a 7 year old's autograph request in the meadowlands parking lot?

I met OJ simpson three years ago at the game against the chiefs at home, he was in a box with the window open before the game, and i shook his had and got his autograph, it was a little awkward but he was pretty nice to sign tickets for all my drunk buddies and myself. Also sat in the aisle across from ted washington the year that he was traded on an airplane, he was huge, he had his own row of seats on a full flight, and he took up two and a half of them