Teams draft success

I thought it was interesting, but I don't think it really says a whole lot. It doesn't control for the fact that a bad team needs a lot of starters and it would be much easier to get players who you drafted into starting positions on a bad team than a good one (see Marv's first draft for the Bills - we started Terrance Pennington for half the year). The other part that isn't controlled is the fact that if the team goes through headcoaching/philisophical changes, they may need new personnel, which means new starters.

In the end, it says a lot mroe about the drafters who have been around a while on good teams that they are able to still draft players that can crack the line up on a good team. Bill POlian is a great example of this since they have been good for years now and basically have the same team, with the exception of the defensive side of the ball.

This article is bogus. The top GM's are on teams who don't make the playoffs on a regular basis.

Obviously with guys like Levy/Jauron and the Cardinals GM, they have had less time to build a team but less draft picks to bust out, so judging by the percentages that they use in the article they would be ranked higher because they haven't had as many "bust-outs", which every team has. The article is obviously flawed but I think it is a good barometer for those mid level teams and what they've done. Obviously Polian, Belichick/Pioli, AJ Smith, etc will be at the top of everyone's list when it comes down to who the best GM is.

Obviously with guys like Levy/Jauron and the Cardinals GM, they have had less time to build a team but less draft picks to bust out, so judging by the percentages that they use in the article they would be ranked higher because they haven't had as many "bust-outs", which every team has. The article is obviously flawed but I think it is a good barometer for those mid level teams and what they've done. Obviously Polian, Belichick/Pioli, AJ Smith, etc will be at the top of everyone's list when it comes down to who the best GM is.

Funny how two of those guys worked for the Bills.

This article is bogus. The top GM's are on teams who don't make the playoffs on a regular basis.

2 of the top 5 have won super bowls since they have been there in Bill Polian and Ozzie Newsome, and have for the most part fielded very good teams...

I do think, however, that just counting how many starters each has drafted is a little misleading....for the most part, it is much easier to start on a bad team right away than on a good one, since there is a pretty good reason why they were so bad. Also, those teams are drafting much higher in most rounds, so they have a greater chance at getting players who can start right away. IMHO, the Colts being rated so high when they have been so good for so long, drafting at or near the bottom of the draft is the most impressive stat to me.

2 of the top 5 have won super bowls since they have been there in Bill Polian and Ozzie Newsome, and have for the most part fielded very good teams...

I do think, however, that just counting how many starters each has drafted is a little misleading....for the most part, it is much easier to start on a bad team right away than on a good one, since there is a pretty good reason why they were so bad. Also, those teams are drafting much higher in most rounds, so they have a greater chance at getting players who can start right away. IMHO, the Colts being rated so high when they have been so good for so long, drafting at or near the bottom of the draft is the most impressive stat to me.

Bingo! Not to make this an Ole Whitey comment, but look how many Donahoe drafted players will be starting this year after

McLovin and Hardy make the starting lineup. Like six (6) I think.

That's actually pretty startling when you think about it. To me anyhow.

Bingo! Not to make this an Ole Whitey comment, but look how many Donahoe drafted players will be starting this year after

McLovin and Hardy make the starting lineup. Like six (6) I think.

That's actually pretty startling when you think about it. To me anyhow.

Evans

Kelsay

Schobel

McGee

Crowell

and if you count FA's

Peters

Lindell

Moorman

I agree. That is pretty sad

Polian #3, Levy and Co. #4 and AJ Smith # 6 are all at the top and all come from the same Buffalo bills pedigree....

that is interesting and encouraging. We know Polian is a bonafide GM stud. AJ Smith has bee a shrewd GM and made some great moves in his short time, and Marv IMO has done a solid job getting the Bills back on track.

Hopefully the Levy leftovers can continue on and maintain the same mindset that got Polian Levy and Smith there top of the NFL rankings