Supreme Court strikes down D.C. handgun ban

As stated before, I understand people wanting a weapon for protection of family, home and hunting. I would never own a gun in a million years. However I do have to ask out of curiosity - does the 2nd Amendment mean individuals on their own or as a "well regulated Militia"?

Here's your answer:

The Second Amendment is naturally divided into two parts: its prefatory clause and its operative clause. The former does not limit the latter grammatically, but rather announces a purpose. The Amendment could be rephrased, "Because a well regulated Militia is necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." -Antonin Scalia, writing for the majority opinion

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So people are passionate about protecting their Constitutional rights...BFD. It's no more offensive than the wackos demonstrating their right to free speech by executing a Nazi salute while the national anthem is being sung outside of the Marine Recruiting Ctr in Bezerlely.

The 'enlightened' among us will rue the day they chose to trust their government with their personal protection. Mark my words. You know what did it for me? It was the Rodney King riots which I saw first hand and helped quell as an active duty Marine. The line between order and chaos is a very thin one...

If you think it can't happen again on an even larger scale, then you keep believing. Me, I'm prepared.

So people are passionate about protecting their Constitutional rights...BFD. It's no more offensive than the wackos demonstrating their right to free speech by executing a Nazi salute while the national anthem is being sung outside of the Marine Recruiting Ctr in Bezerlely.

The 'enlightened' among us will rue the day they chose to trust their government with their personal protection. Mark my words. You know what did it for me? It was the Rodney King riots which I saw first hand and helped quell as an active duty Marine. The line between order and chaos is a very thin one...

If you think it can't happen again on an even larger scale, then you keep believing. Me, I'm prepared.

Not a Hobbesian eh?

That's actually one of the reasons why I'm against the death penalty (besides the biases, cost, and lack of deterrence), I'm not a huge fan of giving the government a way to create some evidence, try someone for treason, and kill em.

2nd Amendment - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As stated before, I understand people wanting a weapon for protection of family, home and hunting. I would never own a gun in a million years. However I do have to ask out of curiosity - does the 2nd Amendment mean individuals on their own or as a "well regulated Militia"? Should the Constitution be taken word for word?

Side notes: D.C. can still bar handguns from being carried outside of the home. Of course, without the proper licensing. With my understanding of why people want this right, there is always this demonstration that pushes the "dislike" of some gun advocates: http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co...08062601655.jpg

It's the commas. Had they said and the right of the people...it's clear as a bell.

BTW, I reside in Ohio. By long-standing law here, I am a member of the Ohio militia and can be called by the Governor to defend the State of Ohio. I can't imagine the circumstances that would invoke that law. If so - things would be seriously in the toilet. :thumbsup:

Wheew at least one of is prepared. Damn, I guess I never paid attention to the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared". Just messing with ya.

No worries. I'm also prepared for earthquakes and terrorist attacks. I believe in a common sense approach and have food and water available for my family. We also have a plan for a rally point and communication should phones go down. I also have cash on hand and an appropriate stock of ammunition. There was a very enlightening thread a few years ago about this very subject.

We live a very sheltered existence here. I've learned in my life to trust my gut instincts. I've ignored them from time to time at my own peril. My point is that since I live in an area with a high probability of earthquakes happening doesn't it make sense to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best?

What I saw during those riots showed me just how little the government can actually do for you in a time of crisis. It was an eye opener for me...but hey, maybe I'm crazy. :thumbsup:

No worries. I'm also prepared for earthquakes and terrorist attacks. I believe in a common sense approach and have food and water available for my family. We also have a plan for a rally point and communication should phones go down. I also have cash on hand and an appropriate stock of ammunition. There was a very enlightening thread a few years ago about this very subject.

We live a very sheltered existence here. I've learned in my life to trust my gut instincts. I've ignored them from time to time at my own peril. My point is that since I live in an area with a high probability of earthquakes happening doesn't it make sense to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best?

What I saw during those riots showed me just how little the government can actually do for you in a time of crisis. It was an eye opener for me...but hey, maybe I'm crazy. :thumbsup:

You are right on many occasions not to trust the complete governmental word. Another example a quick response for Katrina victims. Not joking at all... good for you on being prepared. Taking care of ones family is the most important thing. No doubt.

you know, I was reading this chat about the ruling today and frankly some of the comments scare me...

Fancy-Pants Nancy thinks that Democrats are entitled to take away Constitutional rights of Americans for the sake of Democrat ideology.

What did u join the military for just to take advantage of our tax money. or to serve my country in anyway it see's fit? So for Dirty libs to say i can't have my m-16 is ok y?? Now rem T.I. would have still had his mack 11s' and what else he had. Criminals don't follow the LAWS thats why they're criminals!! So y can't i be ready to defend myself? Yes i have served in the military and i currently work in the dept of homeland security. But hey the gun ban has worked so far.. i mean we should be happy that there was about 10 times the homicides in D.C. than soldiers killed in iraq. Looks like they're working!! I ENJOY MURDERING DEER, TURKEY, SQUIRRELS, DOVES, BEAR… etc

Madame Speaker needs to be hanged for treason before she can inflict anymore damage. Remember her unauthorized trip to Syria?

However I do have to ask out of curiosity - does the 2nd Amendment mean individuals on their own or as a "well regulated Militia"? Should the Constitution be taken word for word?

The Founding Fathers wanted all U.S. citizens to have the ability to tear down the government should it become overly corrupt/intrusive/fascist, i.e. when the good of the nation becomes more important than the good of the individual. You think countries like North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran, etc... could get away with what they do if its citizens had the right to bear arms and organize militias/guerilla groups? Nope. You wacky ultra-libs need to read some !@#$ing history books. Or at the very least, watch "V for Vendetta." It's a good 2 hour movie starring Natalie Portman.

Like stuckincincy said, I am SCARED of the 4 Supreme Court justices who dissented on this slam-dunk case.

The Founding Fathers wanted all U.S. citizens to have the ability to tear down the government should it become overly corrupt/intrusive/fascist, i.e. when the good of the nation becomes more important than the good of the individual. You think countries like North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran, etc... could get away with what they do if its citizens had the right to bear arms and organize militias/guerilla groups? Nope. You wacky ultra-libs need to read some !@#$ing history books. Or at the very least, watch "V for Vendetta." It's a good 2 hour movie starring Natalie Portman.

Like stuckincincy said, I am SCARED of the 4 Supreme Court justices who dissented on this slam-dunk case.

Thanks for movie tip. I'll show it in my next UL (ultra-lib) meeting followed by coffee and a history book. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I also do not know how slam dunk it is... certain things should still have some sort of regulation no matter how minimal.

you know, I was reading this chat about the ruling today and frankly some of the comments scare me...

You're kidding right? You're actually going to bring idiotic blog postings onto this thread as some example of 'right-wing' extremism? Let's not go there.

There is a limitless pool of bottom feeding idiots on both sides that would crash the board if we were to post their drivel.

Get a grip, and if you're scared, go buy a gun to protect yourself. It's your Constitutional right for Chrisakes.

You're kidding right? You're actually going to bring idiotic blog postings onto this thread as some example of 'right-wing' extremism? Let's not go there.

There is a limitless pool of bottom feeding idiots on both sides that would crash the board if we were to post their drivel.

Get a grip, and if you're scared, go buy a gun to protect yourself. It's your Constitutional right for Chrisakes.

Why not... some those postings were absolutely ridiculous. I do agree with on this though..

Who said I was scared?

You are right on many occasions not to trust the complete governmental word. Another example a quick response for Katrina victims.

Care to compare that to the fed government's (if that's who you're referring to ) response to the Iowa floods?

Right - I bunch you yahoo's with your pea-shooters are gonna stand up to the US military - you ever have a stealth fighter fly 500 feet over your house - a couple of them could wipe out a small town within minutes.

I can see it now - after a few beers and some tin can target practice, the local law abiders are gonna get together and show the govm'nt a thing or two.

Right - I bunch you yahoo's with your pea-shooters are gonna stand up to the US military - you ever have a stealth fighter fly 500 feet over your house - a couple of them could wipe out a small town within minutes.

I can see it now - after a few beers and some tin can target practice, the local law abiders are gonna get together and show the govm'nt a thing or two.

Ugh, English please?