Loving John McCain

Interesting article from The Nation today about the media's infatuation with John McCain.

I found the article to be a mixed bag. On one hand, they make some good (albeit known) points about media coverage: the coverage of the candidates is generally (outside of some scandals) positive and lacking any real substance on issues, the media is biased towards candidates who give them what they want (not necessarily that they ideologically like better), and they essentially act as spokesmen for the campaigns.

On the other hand, it is without a doubt a look which incorporates many Democratic talking points into the mix, so take that as you may.

Interesting article from The Nation today about the media's infatuation with John McCain.

I found the article to be a mixed bag. On one hand, they make some good (albeit known) points about media coverage: the coverage of the candidates is generally (outside of some scandals) positive and lacking any real substance on issues, the media is biased towards candidates who give them what they want (not necessarily that they ideologically like better), and they essentially act as spokesmen for the campaigns.

On the other hand, it is without a doubt a look which incorporates many Democratic talking points into the mix, so take that as you may.

I got two things from that article:

1) The media is populated by self-important dopes, barely self-aware, who are easily manipulated into shilling for whoever flatters them the most.

2) John McCain is a typical politician.

Speaking of media, yesterday CNN had two articles posted in its political thread. One where Cindy McCain was discussing families being off limits...scroll down a bit and there was an article about Cindy McCain slamming Michelle Obama (again).

I mighta sorta woulda expected that they'd follow up a bit, since it is somewhat ironic and contradictory. But if not it's odd that they posted them both.

duh

1) The media is populated by self-important dopes, barely self-aware, who are easily manipulated into shilling for whoever flatters them the most.

You hear anecdotes that in the Gore campaign, the media's coverage of him was directly influenced by the fact that they did not provide the press 'nice' bathrooms (made to use the porta-johns like the rest of the plebians) or their every catering whim... while Bush's campaign did. ('Course, once they got the WH, that manner of treatment stopped pretty quickly).

Speaking of media, yesterday CNN had two articles posted in its political thread. One where Cindy McCain was discussing families being off limits...scroll down a bit and there was an article about Cindy McCain slamming Michelle Obama (again).

I mighta sorta woulda expected that they'd follow up a bit, since it is somewhat ironic and contradictory. But if not it's odd that they posted them both.

duh

Cindy McCain is starting to act like a Stepford Wife, just parroting the same lines over and over. And this was after Laura Bush came to Michelle Obama's defense and said she understands that Obama was talking about being proud of the political system. You would think that Cindy would be more sensitive given how her family was attacked by Bush operatives in 2000.