Anyone into Geocaching?

Fezmid

My father put a cache in the State Park across the street from his house. If I remember correctly, he had to inform the ranger that it was in the park, and he has to change the location about every six months.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found my first cache today! Woohoo! :(

It was a pretty simple one, and I had a good idea where it was before I even got to the area. But I wanted to make sure I tried something simple to start with, just to get the hang of it.

Pretty cool though - and it's pretty cool to find a "hidden treasure" like that. It's also pretty cool thinking about all the other people who have done the same thing you're doing when you look for it and sign the logbook.

Overall, big thumbs up and highly recommended to everyone! :D<_<

i did that for a couple of years here... will probably do that again once my son is big enough to come with me. It's a nice way to discover nice spots you may not know. I'm surprised about the use of GPS you mention... the best part is to find it doing real researchs (on the internet, in books) , some having codes, historic enigmas... the internet site i used (cistes.net) have thousands of those "cache" registrated and i've tried for months to resolve some that are located very near my house...

Well, I found my first cache today! Woohoo! :(

It was a pretty simple one, and I had a good idea where it was before I even got to the area. But I wanted to make sure I tried something simple to start with, just to get the hang of it.

Pretty cool though - and it's pretty cool to find a "hidden treasure" like that. It's also pretty cool thinking about all the other people who have done the same thing you're doing when you look for it and sign the logbook.

Overall, big thumbs up and highly recommended to everyone! :D<_<

Well, whaja find?

:blink:

I looked up the web page of the geocache Fezmid found and a few names below him on the online log, I spot the name of a geocacher I know from here in the SF Bay area!

Well, whaja find?

:D

There was a little roll of stickers in there, but since I didn't bring anything to replace it with, I just left it there. In hindsight, I probably should've taken it as a keepsake for my first find -- but oh well. <_<

i did that for a couple of years here... will probably do that again once my son is big enough to come with me. It's a nice way to discover nice spots you may not know. I'm surprised about the use of GPS you mention... the best part is to find it doing real researchs (on the internet, in books) , some having codes, historic enigmas... the internet site i used (cistes.net) have thousands of those "cache" registrated and i've tried for months to resolve some that are located very near my house...

I looked at the site, and there's none in Wisconsin or Minnesota... In fact, most of the US is empty, except for Tennessee which has 353 for some reason! The next highest is Texas with 19... Why the disaparity?

When I worked in survey... That is how we would find old benchmarks, etc... The 'ole notebook and measuring tape... Usually, they were tied to permanent things like foundations of buildings... Yet, some notes were so old that it would take us a half a day to find some points... Very old points.

I suppose that is all differenet with GPS now!

I looked at the site, and there's none in Wisconsin or Minnesota... In fact, most of the US is empty, except for Tennessee which has 353 for some reason! The next highest is Texas with 19... Why the disaparity?

the site i used is based in France so there's few things overseas and in the US... there's probably lot of US based sites ...

the site i used is based in France so there's few things overseas and in the US... there's probably lot of US based sites ...

That still doesn't explain why Tennessee had so many listed; do people in France always visit TN when they come to the States??? :rolleyes: