I guess I'm the only one

Dan Gross

Here they were, faced with a 4th and 5 in that "too far for FG, too close for punt" field position. Drew's looking to the sidelines with a look that says "let's take a time out to talk about this." (that's what it looked like to me....) Eric's yappin' in Mularkey's ear that it's a catch. Perfect time to call an "extended time out" by throwing the red flag. Gives you that extra time (over a normal time out) to figure out what you're going to do, (you're taking the time out anyway...), and it gets your #1 receiver to shut his yap and play ball. So, okay, he loses up to two challenges, but I immediately saw it as a good strategic call. Then they come out with that whoop-dee-doo shuffle pass (or whatever the fug Mock calls it), first down.

Excuse me, my kool-aid glass is empty. Time for a refill...

I agree, Fan in San Diego. Tasker needs to go back and look at his Topps card. He played for the Bills. Man, I'm getting close to disowning him. His favorite NFL player all-time, a Miami Dolphin. Come on. What about Mark Pike?

Here they were, faced with a 4th and 5 in that "too far for FG, too close for punt" field position.  Drew's looking to the sidelines with a look that says "let's take a time out to talk about this."  (that's what it looked like to me....) Eric's yappin' in Mularkey's ear that it's a catch.  Perfect time to call an "extended time out" by throwing the red flag.  Gives you that extra time (over a normal time out) to figure out what you're going to do, (you're taking the time out anyway...), and it gets your #1 receiver to shut his yap and play ball.  So, okay, he loses up to two challenges, but I immediately saw it as a good strategic call.  Then they come out with that whoop-dee-doo shuffle pass (or whatever the fug Mock calls it), first down.

Excuse me, my kool-aid glass is empty.  Time for a refill...

73867[/snapback]

Good point Dan, I hadn't thought of that, but between EM claiming it was a catch and the situation on the field, that may very well have been the reason MM went ahead and tossed the red flag.

Guest Crabby Toad

How come we all got it, but Tasker didn't?

Yeah, I said the same thing. Mularkey and staff probably wanted a timeout, so they figured, "hey, what the hell - let's use a challenge".

The worst that could happen was they get charged with a timeout - which as you pointed out, would be longer than normal, due to the review

At best, there was the outside chance for the play to be overturned - though very unlikely.

A win-win move by throwing the red flag.

Not sure why the announcers didn't speculate about the possibility other than it just didn't occur to them.

Good move on Mularkey's part.

It's getting pretty bad watching the biasness of all these announcers:

The play:

3 yard pickup by "any of the Bills opponents" on 1st and 10.

The announcers call:

A great call by "any of the Bills opponents"!!!! Did you see him stretch for extra yards!!! This is an impressive drive by "any of the Bills opponents"!!!

The play:

A one-handed catch by Josh Reed.

The announcers call:

A nice catch over there by Reed.

It's gettin' sickening.

That's the way I'm viewing it.

Bear in mind that had the call been overturned, Miami would have then accepted the penalty & it would have been 3rd & 15, so it was really a no-win for us.

The coaching staff seems to have good situational awareness so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

A win-win move by throwing the red flag.

73969[/snapback]

Um, no.

You don't get unlimited challenges. Why waste one?

If the Bills needed a challenge in the 4th quarter but didn't have it because they wasted one on an obvious incompletion everyone would be ripping MM.