If you're a tech geek and have 2 hours to spare

Jobs didn't steal it. The Xerox PARC guys were stupid and didn't know what they had and sold it for a pittance.

My oldest brother was one of the original PARC guys, recruited from Carnegie Tech, and was one of the main witnesses in the Microsoft/Apple trial. His was part of the Alto and Dolphin, and his team developed the first workstations that would later become SUN. You guys are both somewhat right. Jobs did steal it in the sense that it wasn't his original idea, but you're right, not only did the Xerox company not know what it had, but they voluntarily let it all go basically for free. When my brother left, they only insisted he NOT use the name Xerox, instead of keeping some rights to the stuff that was developed there. The stuff that was developed there was absolutely amazing.

Jobs didn't steal it. The Xerox PARC guys were stupid and didn't know what they had and sold it for a pittance.

you're right, they had no clue about what they had. They didn't even sell it really, as long as you didn't claim it was yours, and lots of companies did that besides Apple. It will go down as 1 of the worst decisions in intellectual property ever.

Perhaps "stole" was poor syntax. My point was that Apple was not the originator of GUI. On the same trip he was shown OOP. PARC was full of geniuses. No one at Xerox had the foresight to exploit it and that's a shame.

This is the absolute truth.

BTW - I work at PARC as a contractor. I am by no means one of their scientists, but I do know that there is a lot of history in that building.

This is the absolute truth.

BTW - I work at PARC as a contractor. I am by no means one of their scientists, but I do know that there is a lot of history in that building.

Since Boomerjamhead and I are both in the Bay Area ( he lives in Silicon Valley). the TV has more on this stuff because it is local history. I saw a 90 minute talk that Wozniak gave to the local Mac User's Group on the public access channel. Fascinating stuff.