Ban on pork already broken

Some things never change, and Congress isn't likely to anytime soon. The farm bill passed with a wide enough margin to sustain a veto. Newsflash for all of you Obama and McCain supporters: they aren't going to be successful in getting rid of earmarks.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...bath_water.html

Obama's plan is to simply make it more transparent, but without an actual ban on this type of spending, it will continue. Such a ban would be hard pressed to pass Congress, given that this practice is widespread. So the spending is more transparent, big deal It'll still continue, none of the big party supporters will vote them out of office for bringing money to their home district, and the other guys would just do it anyway.

This type of "change" is completely useless and a waste of time, but hell, it sure makes us feel good, doesn't it?

Obama's plan is to simply make it more transparent, but without an actual ban on this type of spending, it will continue. Such a ban would be hard pressed to pass Congress, given that this practice is widespread. So the spending is more transparent, big deal It'll still continue, none of the big party supporters will vote them out of office for bringing money to their home district, and the other guys would just do it anyway.

This type of "change" is completely useless and a waste of time, but hell, it sure makes us feel good, doesn't it?

The King is dead. Long live the king

Change we can believe in :blink:

Some things never change, and Congress isn't likely to anytime soon. The farm bill passed with a wide enough margin to sustain a veto. Newsflash for all of you Obama and McCain supporters: they aren't going to be successful in getting rid of earmarks.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...bath_water.html

Well I do like the transparency. If voters weren't so apethetic it could lead to change in that people might actually demand it. Works better in theory than it does in practice.

Does anyone still support the line item veto, or did that go out the window with Reagan and Bush I?

Well I do like the transparency. If voters weren't so apethetic it could lead to change in that people might actually demand it. Works better in theory than it does in practice.

Does anyone still support the line item veto, or did that go out the window with Reagan and Bush I?

I thought the line-item veto died during the Clinton administration, when somebody (I want to say the Supreme Court, but I don't recall) pointed out quite rightly that it was unconstitutional.

Stupid idea, anyway...it's one of those things that sounds great only if "your" guy's in power.

I thought the line-item veto died during the Clinton administration, when somebody (I want to say the Supreme Court, but I don't recall) pointed out quite rightly that it was unconstitutional.

Stupid idea, anyway...it's one of those things that sounds great only if "your" guy's in power.

The SCOTUS ruling was kinda stupid, albeit technically correct. The vetoing authority can just veto a bill and say "Hey present me with the same things sans the idiocy" and it has the same effect, but more often than not it is used as political ammunition against them.

"Hey did you know president so-and-so vetoed the bill that allows handicapped children to use playgrounds???"

Meanwhile attched to the thing was a clause or rider that charges a tax for breathing air.

A bit of hyperbole maybe but you get the point.

Almost everybody thinks the government spends waaaaayyyy too much money and needs to cut back, as long as it's not in their community. If a politician really took a hard line on pork or favors for local business' they wouldn't be around too long in most cases.

If you want the government to stop spending all the pork decide what things in your community can be cut first.

Almost everybody thinks the government spends waaaaayyyy too much money and needs to cut back, as long as it's not in their community. If a politician really took a hard line on pork or favors for local business' they wouldn't be around too long in most cases.

If you want the government to stop spending all the pork decide what things in your community can be cut first.

Happily. There is plenty.

Pfft. Community funding? Pork? Screw that...start by looking at what the federal government spends directly first. I work on a project that reports to - no sh-- here - TWENTY TWO different managers.

If you only knew how your tax dollars were actually "spent"... :rolleyes:

Auditor: "You've spent thirty million over the past five years. What did the contractor provide you for that?"

Gov't Agency: "Uhhh...status reports. But they're CMMI Level 2 compliant!"

Pfft. Community funding? Pork? Screw that...start by looking at what the federal government spends directly first. I work on a project that reports to - no sh-- here - TWENTY TWO different managers.

If you only knew how your tax dollars were actually "spent"... :wub:

Auditor: "You've spent thirty million over the past five years. What did the contractor provide you for that?"

Gov't Agency: "Uhhh...status reports. But they're CMMI Level 2 compliant!"

:lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: CMMI :):D

:doh: