Edwards to Endorse Obama

Edwards to endorse Obama

Posted: 05:08 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Mike Roselli, CNN's Suzanne Malveaux

Edwards will endorse Obama, CNN has confirmed.

Edwards will endorse Obama, CNN has confirmed.

(CNN) — CNN has confirmed that former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards will endorse Barack Obama shortly at a Michigan campaign event.

The endorsement could help Obama reach out to white, blue-collar voters — a demographic group that Obama has failed to capture, most notably in the recent Pennsylvania and West Virginia primaries.

Edwards received 7 percent of the vote in Tuesday's West Virginia contest.

The former North Carolina senator had campaigned on the message that he was standing up for the little guy, the people who are not traditionally given a voice in Washington, and that he would do more to fight special interests.

After dropping out of the race on January 30, Edwards asked both Clinton and Obama to make poverty a central issue of the general election and a future Democratic administration, something both agreed to do.

Clinton: It'd be 'terrible mistake' to pick McCain over Obama

CNN) -- Hillary Clinton on Wednesday reiterated her vow to stay in the Democratic presidential race, but she said it would be a "terrible mistake" for her supporters to vote for John McCain over Barack Obama.

art.clinton.cnn.jpg

Sen. Hillary Clinton vowed to stay in the race, saying she's "not going anywhere."

"Anybody who has ever voted for me or voted for Barack has much more in common in terms of what we want to see happen in our country and in the world with the other than they do with John McCain," Clinton said on CNN's "The Situation Room."

"I'm going to work my heart out for whoever our nominee is. Obviously, I'm still hoping to be that nominee, but I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that anyone who supported me ... understands what a grave error it would be not to vote for Sen. Obama."

Clinton was responding to a question from a CNN iReporter who asked why she thought so many of her supporters would choose McCain over Obama. Watch the question

Exit polls out of West Virginia indicate that only 36 percent of Clinton's supporters would vote for Obama if he were the nominee. A bare majority of Obama's voters said they would vote for Clinton over McCain.

In response to Clinton's comments, Republican National Committee Spokesman Alex Conant issued a statement:

"Just as Sen. Clinton herself has questioned Obama's qualifications to be president and enact change, so do many of her supporters. The biggest mistake would be to raise taxes and prematurely withdraw from Iraq like Clinton and Obama have proposed," he said.

story continues on CNN

I would have preferred this endorsement earlier, but hopefully this will cause Superdelegates to flock to Obama at an outstanding pace.

He has been racking up a bunch lately, but a huge influx would put the exclamation point on this race.

I am in the camp that feels this primary needs to end sooner, rather than later.

If the dems have any hope in the GE, they need to start getting some of these Clinton voters to back Obama.

Right now, an obscene number would rather vote McCain than Barack, and that needs to change.

why have a convention if you already know who the candidate is?

i know that the convention also delivers the platform, and the vp candidate, but i am sure there are a handful of instances in the past where a party didn't have a candidate entering the convention....

i know that the convention also delivers the platform, and the vp candidate, but i am sure there are a handful of instances in the past where a party didn't have a candidate entering the convention....

Good god....

It's all about marketing

Coke vs Pepsi. Pick your poison

This will end next Tuesday.

Obama's going to drop out next Tuesday after another defeat, this time in Kentucky? It would be pretty embarrassing if Obama loses by double digits even after getting the Edwards endorsement. It makes sense that he would want to get out to avoid the additional embarrassment of losing in Puerto Rico which would once again show his weakness with Hispanics.

Obama's going to drop out next Tuesday after another defeat, this time in Kentucky? It would be pretty embarrassing if Obama loses by double digits even after getting the Edwards endorsement. It makes sense that he would want to get out to avoid the additional embarrassment of losing in Puerto Rice which would once again show his weakness with Hispanics.

Well Obama's husband didn't pardon a bunch of hispanic bombers at his request like Hillary's did at hers. Plus, even if Obama's husband did do that it would make Obama gay which hispanics like gay guys even less than you like black guys so he is basically hurting either way. Plus Puerto Rico or Puerto Rice or whatever isn't really a state so their votes don't count. You are grasping at straws and starting to look a bit silly.

Obama's going to drop out next Tuesday after another defeat, this time in Kentucky? It would be pretty embarrassing if Obama loses by double digits even after getting the Edwards endorsement. It makes sense that he would want to get out to avoid the additional embarrassment of losing in Puerto Rice which would once again show his weakness with Hispanics.

Yeh right. There's no way Hillary can catch him now.

It's pretty funny to see the Hill spin. She "won" Texas, except Obama came away with more delegates. She "won" Michigan, except Obama didn't campaign there or have his name on the ballot.

She's a pandering politician. I don't think she should drop out, let it go to the convention and she can exit gracefully there. I am sure her concession speech has been prepared for weeks.

:thumbsup::w00t::w00t::lol:

I've decided I love you too, Joe.

You and Molson and Adams.

I love you silly gooses! :lol:

Yeh right. There's no way Hillary can catch him now.

It's pretty funny to see the Hill spin. She "won" Texas, except Obama came away with more delegates. She "won" Michigan, except Obama didn't campaign there or have his name on the ballot.

She's a pandering politician. I don't think she should drop out, let it go to the convention and she can exit gracefully there. I am sure her concession speech has been prepared for weeks.

I'm sorry, I missed the part where Obama has enough superdelegates to win the nomination. You'd think that would be headline news. She got more votes in Texas, and more in Michigan where she also didn't campaign but was smart enough to stay on the ballot. And God forbid a politician would actually give voters what they want; universal healthcare, short term relief from fuel prices, and smart foreign policy. Let's vote for the guy who doesn't offer solutions, but panders to the poets.

If Edwards could attract the voters that Obama can't and Clinton has he would still be in the race. Obama has just raised the stakes by playing the Edwards card to distract the media from his crushing defeat in WV, and now if he loses in Kentucky by another wide margin, he will really look like a weak general election candidate, and Edwards will look just as bad. Where's Elizabeth Edwards, why hasn't she endorsed Obama? Perhaps her saying Clinton had a better healthcare plan offers a clue, but she doesn't want to state publicly who she favors as long as her husband has a chance at a job appointment.

And God forbid a politician would actually give voters what they want; universal healthcare, short term relief from fuel prices, and smart foreign policy. Let's vote for the guy who doesn't offer solutions, but panders to the poets.

:censored::lol:

:censored::lol:

We only want short term relief from fuel prices.

I do love the duality of liberals saying "we're gonna cut taxes" after spending so much time talking about how tax cuts are "irresponsible" given the current economic situation when the other side does it. What, now the government doesn't need the money?

We only want short term relief from fuel prices.

I do love the duality of liberals saying "we're gonna cut taxes" after spending so much time talking about how tax cuts are "irresponsible" given the current economic situation when the other side does it. What, now the government doesn't need the money?

The idiocy really is so staggering that I just find myself :censored::lol::worthy:

That's the only thing you can do, imo. Have a sense of humor about it.

Oh.... and bash some tards on an internet message board, amirite? :D