Vote for Obama or...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked you if you thought putting a burning cross on a lawn with a burning monkey would be hysterically funny and you said "lol, of course it is!!!".

Oh, and by the way, the word lever has been a noun and a verb since 1250, derived from "levare", to lighten, to lift. Leverage, as a noun or verb, has been around since 1715-1725.

AND THEN I ASKED IF YOU ARE ON DRUGS. CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND SIMPLE SARCASM!?!?!?!?

i went on for a paragraph explaining how a t shirt and a friggen burning cross on someone's lawn is very different.

leverage is a noun. to have, via a lever, an advantage is to have leverage. people say "i will leverage my position" which means in their mind means to use leverage, but is in fact levering.

disconnect is a verb, if two things have disconnected, there is a disconnection between them, not a disconnect.

i hope you are good looking.

AND THEN I ASKED IF YOU ARE ON DRUGS. CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND SIMPLE SARCASM!?!?!?!?

i went on for a paragraph explaining how a t shirt and a friggen burning cross on someone's lawn is very different.

leverage is a noun. to have, via a lever, an advantage is to have leverage. people say "i will leverage my position" which means in their mind means to use leverage, but is in fact levering.

disconnect is a verb, if two things have disconnected, there is a disconnection between them, not a disconnect.

He's not. :thumbsup::blink:;)

Main Entry:

disconnect

Function:

noun

Date:

: a lack of or a break in connection, consistency, or agreement <a huge disconnect…between the nation's capital and the rest of the country — R. J. Samuelson>

Main Entry:

disconnect

Function:

noun

Date:

: a lack of or a break in connection, consistency, or agreement <a huge disconnect…between the nation's capital and the rest of the country — R. J. Samuelson>

OH I'M FAMILIAR WITH THE COMMON USAGE OF THESE "WORDS"!!!!

that doesn't make it right!

now that is something we can agree to be offended over!

some **** makes a mistake saying disconnect instead of disconnection and every fag around copies him. eff that!

the brits say orientated when they mean oriented. and people talk about unchartered waters when the mean uncharted waters.

DON'T GET ME STARTED11!!

OH I'M FAMILIAR WITH THE COMMON USAGE OF THESE "WORDS"!!!!

that doesn't make it right!

now that is something we can agree to be offended over!

some **** makes a mistake saying disconnect instead of disconnection and every fag around copies him. eff that!

the brits say orientated when they mean oriented. and people talk about unchartered waters when the mean uncharted waters.

DON'T GET ME STARTED11!!

1. If you don't believe it would be funny, then you disproved your own theory that everything about racism can be funny and nothing is off limits. There is a disconnect in your own logic. :thumbsup:

2. My bad. I thought that all of the major established dictionaries of the English language that say, in black and white, that certain words may also be used as verbs, like leverage, are not actually verbs, because colin says so.

3. If you google "a disconnect" or "the disconnect", there are about 1.5 million examples of it. And the Random House dictionary defines it as a noun, "an act or instance of disconnecting". But I guess they are all just wrong.

1. If you don't believe it would be funny, then you disproved your own theory that everything about racism can be funny and nothing is off limits. There is a disconnect in your own logic. :thumbsup:

2. My bad. I thought that all of the major established dictionaries of the English language that say, in black and white, that certain words may also be used as verbs, like leverage, are not actually verbs, because colin says so.

3. If you google "a disconnect" or "the disconnect", there are about 1.5 million examples of it. And the Random House dictionary defines it as a noun, "an act or instance of disconnecting". But I guess they are all just wrong.

nearly every single book about investing (in stocks particularly) say that if you go short you can lose an infinite amount of money. this is wrong across the board.

when a word arises from being an often commonly made mistake, IT DOES NOT MAKE IT CORRECT, EVEN IF IN THE DICTIONARY.

laughing all the way to the bank was taken from something else entirely, so the irony is lost there.

i could care less is one that makes me angry as well.

and what the hell is your point about racism?

i think racism can be really funny, doesn't make it ok to burn crosses in people lawns.

i think someone punching someone else in the mouth can be funny, doesn't make it ok to do it.

this isn't complicated. you honestly should think about being good looking, your mind chops aren't gonna win you any

prizes.

nearly every single book about investing (in stocks particularly) say that if you go short you can lose an infinite amount of money. this is wrong across the board.

It is?

yup.

think i'll ever see an infinite bid to hit on my screens?

In reality, probably not. Hypothetically, yes. Which is how these theories are constructed, the X & Y axes have no upper boundaries.

In reality, probably not. Hypothetically, yes. Which is how these theories are constructed, the X & Y axes have no upper boundaries.

nope. short selling an asset can only lose the value of the asset (less the entry point) when covered. that patently cannot be infinity.

and it is no more risky than being long (squeeze and exchange rules might make it more cumbesom tho). in fact empirically being long a cash security (with the possible exceptions of UST) is much riskier. prices are more apt to drop than ralley suddenly and sharply.

WE LIVE IN A WORLD OF LIES!!!!

when a word arises from being an often commonly made mistake, IT DOES NOT MAKE IT CORRECT, EVEN IF IN THE DICTIONARY.

laughing all the way to the bank was taken from something else entirely, so the irony is lost there.

i could care less is one that makes me angry as well.

and what the hell is your point about racism?

i think racism can be really funny, doesn't make it ok to burn crosses in people lawns.

i think someone punching someone else in the mouth can be funny, doesn't make it ok to do it.

this isn't complicated. you honestly should think about being good looking, your mind chops aren't gonna win you any

prizes.

1] Books on investing, and how much you will or won't lose, are opinions. People's opinions may be right or wrong.

2] Words that are commonly mistaken, like irregardless, are not found in the dictionary because they are not words. There are also slang words that may make their way into some dictionaries which aren't real words. But when all of the most respected dictionaries say a word like "leverage" is a verb, it's a fact. And I bet you they all do.

3] The point about racism is that you said nothing is off limits to jokes, and clearly some things are off limits. It's inarguable, and you even admitted it. You're right, racism jokes can, in certain instances, be funny. Joking about crosses burning on lawns of black guys is not funny and not accepted by society at large. If you want to make jokes about burning crosses on yards, please go to the closest black guy and tell him it. That would be hysterical.

3] The point about racism is that you said nothing is off limits to jokes, and clearly some things are off limits. It's inarguable, and you even admitted it. You're right, racism jokes can, in certain instances, be funny. Joking about crosses burning on lawns of black guys is not funny and not accepted by society at large. If you want to make jokes about burning crosses on yards, please go to the closest black guy and tell him it. That would be hysterical.

i still maintain nothing is off limit to jokes. i didn't admit anything differently.

what i pointed out is actually putting a burning cross on someone's lawn is wrong, not because it is a joke but because it is

clearly a violation of someone else's property. joking about some violation of someone's property is fine tho. is this really that hard to understand?

and what the hell makes you think the closest black guy hearing that joke will be hysterical? what if i'm 100 pounds bigger than he is? what if he is my friend and finds the joke funny?

you make assumptions about the closest black guy that GG finds offensive, and thus you aren't even a person in the 21st century.

honestly dude, one bills fan to another, get some work done on your face and teeth. you aren't gonna make it as a smart one, but you MIGHT be able to make it as a pretty one!

work your core too!

nope. short selling an asset can only lose the value of the asset (less the entry point) when covered. that patently cannot be infinity.

and it is no more risky than being long (squeeze and exchange rules might make it more cumbesom tho). in fact empirically being long a cash security (with the possible exceptions of UST) is much riskier. prices are more apt to drop than ralley suddenly and sharply.

WE LIVE IN A WORLD OF LIES!!!!

Wow! You are a trader with that totally backward explanation? Seriously, are you trolling.

Note the bolded part. That is the key point of why you can loose an infinite amount when you short. You made an assumption that at some point you would cover short. But the theory cannot make that assumption, and a short is held to infinity, meaning your loss is infinity, plus the cash you received from the initial short sale. So, technically you are correct, the loss isn't infinite, but infinity minus S.

On the other hand, no matter what happens to the long position, the most you will ever ever lose is your cost basis, no matter how long you hold it.

It's not really that difficult.

i still maintain nothing is off limit to jokes. i didn't admit anything differently.

what i pointed out is actually putting a burning cross on someone's lawn is wrong, not because it is a joke but because it is

clearly a violation of someone else's property. joking about some violation of someone's property is fine tho. is this really that hard to understand?

and what the hell makes you think the closest black guy hearing that joke will be hysterical? what if i'm 100 pounds bigger than he is? what if he is my friend and finds the joke funny?

you make assumptions about the closest black guy that GG finds offensive, and thus you aren't even a person in the 21st century.

honestly dude, one bills fan to another, get some work done on your face and teeth. you aren't gonna make it as a smart one, but you MIGHT be able to make it as a pretty one!

work your core too!

Next time you go on a plane, joke to the flight attendant about bringing a bomb on board. And please try to tell all the black guys you meet what a knee slapper that cross burning on his front lawn would be. And please tell your best friend's mother that great joke about the three milfs that got ass-fukked by the Aids patient, and don't forget to tell all those great fat jokes to all the overweight six year-olds you happen to pass. Those are hoots.

Wow! You are a trader with that totally backward explanation? Seriously, are you trolling.

Note the bolded part. That is the key point of why you can loose an infinite amount when you short. You made an assumption that at some point you would cover short. But the theory cannot make that assumption, and a short is held to infinity, meaning your loss is infinity, plus the cash you received from the initial short sale. So, technically you are correct, the loss isn't infinite, but infinity minus S.

On the other hand, no matter what happens to the long position, the most you will ever ever lose is your cost basis, no matter how long you hold it.

It's not really that difficult.

nonsense.

things don't and can't go to infinity. that doesn't happen, it can't happen.

being short is not riskier than being long, it just isn't. wrt stocks and credit products, being long is riskier than short, the downward moves are faster and sharper (heard of put premiums, crash-o-phobia, and empirically it's easily observable).

even based on your argument about my assumptions (which i'm not making, that's irrelevant, i only pointed out the cover price because it is simply a mark to market loss until covered) you are wrong. infinity minus some finite number is still infinity, the point is it's impossible in securities trading.

the problem with the short infinite loss garbage is it makes people make the wrong assumptions about the risks of being long vs short.

kelly, you are really reaching on this. where the hell does talking about bombs on a plane come from? what's your point, that there are bad times and places to say certain things? what the hell does that have to do with anything?