Going to DC this weekend.....

Go down to the Mall and see any of the Smithsonian Museums. All free , all open every day except Christmas 10-5:30. American History (with Star Spangled Banner, Fonzie's jacket, Archie Bunker's Chair, etc is closed until fall for renovations.

Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial,WWII, Korea and Vietnam Memorials.

Too much to see in one day.

Take the Metro to one of the stops on the Mall.

I concur. Also, if you want to go in the washington monument, you'll need a free first come first serve ticket, so get there around 8am. I think you can get one in advance online for a small ($1-$2) charge. You'll be able to walk around and see the lincoln memorial, see the reflecting pond and putz around till the smithsonians open. Also, up the road one block, i think behind the american history museum, is the national archives. That's the most awesome place in my opinion. You can see originals of the declaration of independence, constitution, and when i was there last month, they had the magna carta. Just don't go there if you look like stanley goodspeed.

I triple it.

I've been to the DC area 10+ times and have stumbled around the Smithsonian almost every visit. So much to see and learn.

As dysfunctional as our politicians are, it's still tough not to get chills when diving into the history of the city. One of the neatest things I've done was to take in a big Memorial Day concert while sitting on the steps of the Capitol. It's surreal.

My wife and I are leaving in the morning for a wedding this weekend....looking for something interesting to do on Sunday....any thoughts....

Tater, Laurel is running!!! Seriously, so much to do you really need to narrow it down for us . I lived in the District for 14 years, so do you want to do more tourist stuff(which in DC is cool stuff) or more local type stuff.

I would do this Gerogetown walk Sunday morning. You might even go by St Johns Episcopal on O St. Thats where I be married and was a member for 13 yrs.

http://www.washingtonwalks.com/tours/list-...ing-tours.shtml

The steps of the Capital looking out over the Mall towards the Potamac at / near sunset. First time I did that I had goosebumps the size that cant be described. Do it every time I'm in DC.

Marine Corps silent drill team parade if you are going to be there tonight. You'll have to wait at the window to see if there are any unclaimed tickets - sold out all summer. (Ooops, you said Sunday. I'll leave it here anyway.)

Stop by Sibley Hospital. That's where I was born, believe it or not. :devil:

Yes, it's true. Buckeyemike is NOT a native-born Ohioan. I was born in DC, and my family lived in Northern VA.

In all seriousness, I highly recommend the Vietnam Memorial (maybe the most poignant place I've ever been) and the National Air & Space Museum and the American History Museum at the Smithsonian.

My parents actually met at the Washington Monument, so that's also a place I hold in high regard. :blink:

Stop by Sibley Hospital. That's where I was born, believe it or not. :devil:

Yes, it's true. Buckeyemike is NOT a native-born Ohioan. I was born in DC, and my family lived in Northern VA.

In all seriousness, I highly recommend the Vietnam Memorial (maybe the most poignant place I've ever been) and the National Air & Space Museum and the American History Museum at the Smithsonian.

My parents actually met at the Washington Monument, so that's also a place I hold in high regard. :blink:

hey Mike, as mentioned by someone earlier, History closed to this fall I believe. And, for otheres who really like the Air, I really like the the Air and Space at Dulles. really cool. Next time you be around in DC its cool place.

Also, the Marine Corps Museum near Quantico is very cool as well

It was me- I checked the web site. They had a major renovation. The building is 40+ years old, so they upgraded the systems, put in a skylight and a central stairway. The Star Spangled banner has its own gallery now. They site also said that the Industry building (old one near the castle) is closed or closing for renovations also. I'm a space nut, so I walked around with my jaw on the floor seeing all the airplanes and rockets at the Air & Space. Would love to see the one at Dulles if I'm ever out there again.

If you are into art, there is also something for you. The Da Vinci they have was the most realistic portrait I've ever seen. The hair on the portrait shown like real hair and the laces on the front of her dress looked like those fuzzy shoelaces that were popular years ago-they looked real.

Thanks for the suggestions...wedding was great....wedding at Georgetown and Ceremony at the Mandarin Oriental....Georgetown was a zoo, as all of the kids were moving out, which added to the ridiculous traffic....

Thanks for the suggestions...wedding was great....wedding at Georgetown and Ceremony at the Mandarin Oriental....Georgetown was a zoo, as all of the kids were moving out, which added to the ridiculous traffic....

Fug me Tater, you run in a different crowd than I. Reception at the Mandarin cannot be cheap, or even mildy expensive, it has to be wildly expensive.

Best restuarant in the city there, City Zen, please tell me that was not involved in the reception or I will have serios envy. Sounds like a good time had by the Tater family!

Fug me Tater, you run in a different crowd than I. Reception at the Mandarin cannot be cheap, or even mildy expensive, it has to be wildly expensive.

Best restuarant in the city there, City Zen, please tell me that was not involved in the reception or I will have serios envy. Sounds like a good time had by the Tater family!

Rumor was he was found in an Alley Saturday night in Dupont Circle with his pants around his knees, mumbling something like "plenzmd1 ran a train on me". :flirt:

lol...that is not my crowd...my buddy married into it....id like to see the look on the fathers face when he had 75 people from Buffalo hitting it hard....

My friend and his wife are both from Buffalo (we all went to the same HS) but met in MD and had their wedding in Columbia MD (the hotel next to Merriweather Post- we were in tuxes with Jimmy Buffet and his band on the elevator). About half of the guests were from WNY. The DJ stopped about one hour before the room closed. Most of the local guests left and the hotel was going to close the bar in the banquet room. My friend said that he paid for the full time, so all us Buffalonians stayed and drank as much as we could until his time for the banquet room was done. They took off for the honeymoon and the rest of us went to the bar to drink. I think they closed at 1 or 2 and then we went back to someone's room to drink some more. The party ended when security came by at 4:30 AM to tell us to break it up or they would throw us out. Got up at 9 AM and drove the 400 miles back home in 100 degree heat with a MASSIVE hangover.

Tater, where did you end up going?

Friday went to la Tosca for dinner then walked around Georgetown and stopped at Chadwicks for a few....ended the night at Four Quarts....

Saturday was the wedding

Sunday, since it was raining we decided to check out the Spy Museum

we have seen most of the main museums and other big tourist attractions...I love DC...I could go there once a month...