Average Gas Price over the last 6 Years...

It is one of MANY spots that we could drill. Some here seem to be focusing on only Alaska. What about the Dakotas? What about the Gulf? Why havent we built a refinery in over 35 years? This shiit goes back all the way to Carter. We've stuck our heads in the sand to long. All this shiit isnt new. Like I said in my RANT, nothings going to happen till we start paying 8 bucks a gallon. $200 a barrel is right around the corner.

Curious though. Why did you change your handle from Rfeynman to your current one.

First on my handle. I changed it after a thread was made about Steely Dan. I'm a big fan and decided to change. There wasn't any subterfuge for it. I put a tagline saying "The artist formerly known as Rfeynman."

I'm not aware of any other protests to oil drilling other than Alaska. What others are there?

Don't forget about offshore drilling in the Gulf. The senior citizens in Florida don't want to be able to see (as if their eyes are actually that good) a rig 50 miles off the cost.

Nobody can see those. For the average person standing on the ground, the horizon is 3 miles. for someone 20 stories (200 ft) up it is 16 miles.

If we cut ourselves off from foreign oil and drilled up in Alaska, the amount of oil up there would not even last the US two years, and that is if you use VERY generous estimates. There just isn't that much up there. People think it is our own private Saudi Arabi up north. It isn't.

The articles I read stated there is more oil in North Dakota alone than in Saudi Arabia. The estimates were that oil from ND alone would last at least 60 years in the USA.

The articles I read stated there is more oil in North Dakota alone than in Saudi Arabia. The estimates were that oil from ND alone would last at least 60 years in the USA.

Did it say "oil", or "recoverable oil"? And at what pricing is it uneconomical to recover it? Because there is a difference between having reserves and being able to use them.

Do you know how much it would cost to extract oil from Alaska or squeeze it out of shale? The reason it hasn't been done isn't because some hippie is crying, it is because it isn't cost effective. You honestly think some tree hugger could stop big oil?

One of the people I have worked with was heavily involved with the process development using high power RF to extract oil from shale back in the early 80s. The cost models for shale extraction require ~$80/barrel for it to be economical.