I owe it to my constituents to drive an expensive car...

Here's an interesting article on a 'program' that lets House Members lease vehicles on our dime.

Granted this is a drop in the bucket compared to all the other graft, wasteful and plain criminal spending by 'our' Government, but still...WTF?

http://wcbstv.com/seenon/car.lease.us.2.713776.html

I love Charlie Rangel's lahjik: "I could probably find something for ... one of those red cars and then I think my constituents would say, 'With all the money that he gets, this is the respect he shows us?'"

Ah, I see Charlie...you don't want to 'Dis us. Thanks. Whew, it sure is a good thing he's looking out for you NY'ers. :wallbash:

What a non-story this is. When you get a job, the job has a salary and certain benefits. This is one. People need to get over it. Do you begrudge them their pay too? Or health care? Someone else complained that they are entitled to a big office. Christ people--you can disrespect them but their jobs are actually pretty important and certain perks are OK when they can pick their nose and spend a billion dollars.

And yeah, I do think it's kind of important that they drive a respectable car. Our Congresscritters are relatively important people and I can deal with one of their benefits being a car lease at 800/mo. Do they need a Lamborghini? No. But they also need not drive a '93 Rabbit.

What a non-story this is. When you get a job, the job has a salary and certain benefits. This is one. People need to get over it. Do you begrudge them their pay too? Or health care? Someone else complained that they are entitled to a big office. Christ people--you can disrespect them but their jobs are actually pretty important and certain perks are OK when they can pick their nose and spend a billion dollars.

And yeah, I do think it's kind of important that they drive a respectable car. Our Congresscritters are relatively important people and I can deal with one of their benefits being a car lease at 800/mo. Do they need a Lamborghini? No. But they also need not drive a '93 Rabbit.

Yeah, but spending 800/mo on a Buick? At least get a decent car.

Actually a lot of them (all) also get SS, drivers and government limos. As well they should

Yeah, but spending 800/mo on a Buick? At least get a decent car.

Like what, a lexus. then they'd get in trouble for having foreign cars.

How do you know these don't have bullet proof/bomb proofing on them. GPS/lojax locator. I am sure there is a lot more to these.

Like what, a lexus. then they'd get in trouble for having foreign cars.

How do you know these don't have bullet proof/bomb proofing on them. GPS/lojax locator. I am sure there is a lot more to these.

Anything but a gd buick

In Seattle it's 2 miles. Ridiculous.

Because you can't trust the damned anti-American liberals. :wallbash:

And, seriously...I wouldn't be surprised if they just had to take more sh-- to support the president on West Coast visits. In NYC, they can have him back in the White House inside of two hours. In Seattle, they probably have to take the White House with him.

I beg your pardon for the Molson-esqe thread. It was early and I found Rangel's rationale amusing. After further review, I agree with your opinion and this thread never should've been started...

In DC, I see it all the time. it's usually about 8 motorcycle police. And about4-5 black suvs, along with identical limos.

I work next door to the Wall St heliport...the cool thing is seeing him come in via helicopter, flanked by two other choppers. Same way the pope cam in. They all use this heliport, which is why I see the NYC motorcade. Of course, the motorcade does not count the NYPD who stop traffic on the FDR for him.

Because you can't trust the damned anti-American liberals. :wallbash:

And, seriously...I wouldn't be surprised if they just had to take more sh-- to support the president on West Coast visits. In NYC, they can have him back in the White House inside of two hours. In Seattle, they probably have to take the White House with him.

And he is definitely on hostile territory here. There is an enclave of really rich folk in Medina, and he skedaddles there and back as quickly as possible. Our highway overpasses are typically lined with anti-war protesters daily anyway...you should see it when one of the warmongers comes to town.

What was wild was how the LONGSHOREMEN shut down the docks yesterday to protest the war. Only in Seattle. That's why I live here!

And he is definitely on hostile territory here. There is an enclave of really rich folk in Medina, and he skedaddles there and back as quickly as possible. Our highway overpasses are typically lined with anti-war protesters daily anyway...you should see it when one of the warmongers comes to town.

What was wild was how the LONGSHOREMEN shut down the docks yesterday to protest the war. Only in Seattle. That's why I live here!

You are including all the liberals elected in 2006 too right. Afterall they've now had two chances to stop funding or seriously curtail it, and they haven't.

I beg your pardon for the Molson-esqe thread. It was early and I found Rangel's rationale amusing. After further review, I agree with your opinion and this thread never should've been started...

That's the most impressive post I've seen on here in 5 years! All is forgiven. The same topic is circulating on the Off the Wall board so it's OK.

The salesmen who lease those cars to them must lick their lips and daydream about the boat they plan to buy after the deal is done. I say let them pay for their own damn cars or at least set a cap of $500 a month on them.

You are including all the liberals elected in 2006 too right. Afterall they've now had two chances to stop funding or seriously curtail it, and they haven't.

Yes, a very small majority can change everything. Both Dems and Pubs are drinking from the trough. :wallbash:

And if they HAD cut funding or seriously curtailed it people like you would wet your pants and scream YOU HATE AMERICA! YOU'RE NOT SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS!

Nice try.

And if they HAD cut funding or seriously curtailed it people like you would wet your pants and scream YOU HATE AMERICA! YOU'RE NOT SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS!

Nice try.

So they get elected promising to bring the troops home, but do nothing, except more of the same. Yet the "warmongers" are bad. So one doesn't lie, they other does. Yet the ones telling the truth are bad. :wallbash:

So they get elected promising to bring the troops home, but do nothing, except more of the same. Yet the "warmongers" are bad. So one doesn't lie, they other does. Yet the ones telling the truth are bad. :wallbash:

The slight majority they have doesn't give them enough power.