Oil Shale

I am referring to total taxation. I could care less which tax it is applied to.

But you're mixing personal income tax and corporate tax. The companies don't pay income tax. You do.

You're the one who was bitching because the corporation paid "less" in taxes than you do.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you're mixing personal income tax and corporate tax. The companies don't pay income tax. You do.

You're the one who was bitching because the corporation paid "less" in taxes than you do.

It seems relevant to me how much they pay in taxes as a percentage. I was "bitching" as you put it, because the percentage was lower. Hard to feel much sympathy for someone paying a lower percentage, oh wait people do that all the time on here.

Am I missing something (probably), but that looks like a 25% tax rate. Is that including things the company purchases? If so call the waambulance as my taxation rate is much higher. It seems to include sales tax. Do those figure include matching SS funds?

You're paying over 25% of your gross income? Are you retarded?

It seems relevant to me how much they pay in taxes as a percentage. I was "bitching" as you put it, because the percentage was lower. Hard to feel much sympathy for someone paying a lower percentage, oh wait people do that all the time on here.

So you're jealous of a non-person because it pays 25% (several billion dollars) a year in taxes and you pay more?

As far as total taxation (not just income tax) yes.

What tax that you're paying do you think they're skipping out on?

Why in the world do you think it's a good idea to raise taxes on an entity that provides jobs? What positive effect would come from it?

At some point, you're going to realize that any change that results in the government seizing more money is akin to feeding an alligator with the hope that he eats you last.

What tax that you're paying do you think they're skipping out on?

Why in the world do you think it's a good idea to raise taxes on an entity that provides jobs? What positive effect would come from it?

At some point, you're going to realize that any change that results in the government seizing more money is akin to feeding an alligator with the hope that he eats you last.

Way to recast what I said in a fashion that isn't even close to my intent. I am discussing total taxation. They pay 25%. I am decidedly middle class. I pay more. I am not jealous, nor am I even advocating more taxes on them. I was just shocked by the figure. I have heard 40% tossed around here as a figure.

I do agree that giving the government money is almost futile.

Way to recast what I said in a fashion that isn't even close to my intent. I am discussing total taxation. They pay 25%. I am decidedly middle class. I pay more. I am not jealous, nor am I even advocating more taxes on them. I was just shocked by the figure. I have heard 40% tossed around here as a figure.

Accounting was never my strong point, but it appears that you have calculated the percent based on gross income and total taxes paid. There are several 'deductions' (and I use the word very loosely) that a company can take before calculating the taxes owed such as depreciation etc. To make a very basic statement, I think it is like calculating taking your gross salary and taxes paid without accounting for standard deductions. Am I missing your point ?

Nanker's point is very powerful. Companies such as XOM pay enormous taxes to the government which pays their officials to talk smack about them. Nice.

Building roads and bridges provides jobs right? I can't imagine what even the small projects cost that you see going on. There is one road I take into work and it is being repaired at night... Just resurfacing, core samples and some small strengthing... You know, your basic work after a hard winter... I can't begin to fathom what that project alone costs? It isn't on a toll road either.

Accounting was never my strong point, but it appears that you have calculated the percent based on gross income and total taxes paid. There are several 'deductions' (and I use the word very loosely) that a company can take before calculating the taxes owed such as depreciation etc. To make a very basic statement, I think it is like calculating taking your gross salary and taxes paid without accounting for standard deductions. Am I missing your point ?

Nanker's point is very powerful. Companies such as XOM pay enormous taxes to the government which pays their officials to talk smack about them. Nice.

Really? I am not a bean counter either... Just a working slob that has to work swing shift as a laborer that gets access to a computer.

Just wondering... Do a lot of you out there think that we can get the infrastructure (which I hope the bulk of energy companies taxes goes to) maintained adequately if we cut the pencil pushing chumps out of the equation?

If some actually get what they wish for, I am sure they might not like the outcome and will surely piss and moan about other issues!

Except 25% likely isn't their total taxation and I wouldn't be surprised if you added up everything else they're taxed on (just like we are, in most cases), if they aren't paying closer to that total.

And I wasn't recasting what you said. I was looking for clarification.

Building roads and bridges provides jobs right? I can't imagine what even the small projects cost that you see going on. There is one road I take into work and it is being repaired at night... Just resurfacing, core samples and some small strengthing... You know, your basic work after a hard winter... I can't begin to fathom what that project alone costs? It isn't on a toll road either.

That's one of the funny things about liberals. Our Federal government gets 1/5th of every dollar in this country and has a terrible time maintaining the infrastructure because they love to spend money for votes and things like roads just ain't sexy to people with their hands out.

They get more than enough to do what the Constitution mandates. They simply choose not to do it.

That's one of the funny things about liberals. Our Federal government gets 1/5th of every dollar in this country and has a terrible time maintaining the infrastructure because they love to spend money for votes and things like roads just ain't sexy to people with their hands out.

They get more than enough to do what the Constitution mandates. They simply choose not to do it.

Get me the facts on that and I will agree! Where can you find out stuff like that (ie: what things actually cost vs. waste)...

Really, there has to be impartial studies out there?

I do agree Darin... Yet, these projects have to be big money drains... Think of the price of concrete per yard?... They lay that down like water... Some of these projects you see have to be upwards in the 10's if not 100's of millions! Just getting a rehab here at work will cost around 100 million on a project that completed new in 1960 at around 6 million.

:P

I am gonna add without editing the above.

The point is, especially here where I work... They mine as well tear the place down and build it new than to polish a turd... They may even be able to engineer into the price a way as not to divert any water away from the Great Lakes... You don't fix a 50 year leaky faucet or energy wasting device, you throw it away and get a new, more efficient one.

Point? Our infrastructure is aging well BEYOND the rated service life... This adds to the cost I suppose in ways and maybe helps in others.

Agree, the gov't has to make SMART choices... Who else will? That's where my idealism lies.

Taxes are not killing us. The gadflies that like to make us think we are being drowned in taxation are just complainers looking to bytch and moan about something. An "alligator" my ass!

I agree. :P Even with fuel approaching 6 bucks a gallon on the water... You see no shortage of boast and yachts... Numbers keep going, people keep getting richer!

Taxes are not killing us. The gadflies that like to make us think we are being drowned in taxation are just complainers looking to bytch and moan about something. An "alligator" my ass!

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. I do not subscribe to the 'no-tax' theory. However, I am paying my fair share of taxes and have a right to complain when I see that money wasted. Example - subsidies for producing ethanol.