Viti Writeup from Army Webpage

BillsNYC

Not sure if already posted:

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.db...;ATCLID=1449276

While Campbell became the focal point of ESPN’s draft-day coverage, the afternoon was not filled with quite the same level of inspection for one of Campbell’s former teammates at West Point, Mike Viti. A Regimental Commander within the U.S. Corps of Cadets, Viti spent much of Sunday in New York City at a wreath-laying ceremony with the remainder of his regiment. The Black Knights’ former bruising fullback was tending to laundry and running some other errands with his parents upon his return to West Point. As they drove to get something to eat, Viti’s cell phone rang.

“We were driving to go eat and Buffalo had given me a call. It was early in the seventh round,” Viti explains. “They said, ‘We might take you with our next pick.’ I took it for what it was worth. They called again right before their pick and said, “We’re either going to take you or another player. But if we don’t take you, we want to sign you as a free agent. We really want you and want you to know that.’ Right after the draft was over they called again and they laid it out. They said, ‘You’re the guy we want and you’re the only rookie fullback we’re going to bring in (to mini camp).’

“With that, I thought it was a good situation. It seems like they came after me pretty aggressively. They’ve been in contact with me the last few weeks. I feel pretty good about it. That’s part of what goes into the free-agent process. You try to assess what team you see yourself fitting into best.”

With that, Viti agreed to terms with the Bills on a free agent contract.

“I don’t want to get too excited about things, because that’s not going to serve me well,” Viti says. “This day is just one more step towards what I’ve been working towards. I feel really good about that.”

Campbell becomes the first Army player to be selected in the NFL Draft since Ronnie McAda was chosen by the Green Bay Packers with the final pick in 1997.

Campbell and Viti will be participating in the U.S. Army’s Alternative Service Option program. Under guidelines of the program, both players will be allowed to play football with their respective professional organizations while assigned to recruiting stations for two years as long as they remain under contract. Should they retain professional contracts following two years, they will be offered the option of “buying out” the remaining three years of their active-duty commitment in exchange for six years in the U.S. Army Reserves. Campbell and Viti will join baseball standouts Nick Hill and Milan Dinga, as well as former Army hockey goalie Brad Roberts as recent West Point graduates currently enrolled in the program.

Campbell and Viti will begin their professional careers almost immediately, with both heading off to rookie mini camps later this week. And both heading off to the myriad of media events and publicity opportunities that certainly awaits.

Not sure if already posted:

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.db...;ATCLID=1449276

While Campbell became the focal point of ESPN’s draft-day coverage, the afternoon was not filled with quite the same level of inspection for one of Campbell’s former teammates at West Point, Mike Viti. A Regimental Commander within the U.S. Corps of Cadets, Viti spent much of Sunday in New York City at a wreath-laying ceremony with the remainder of his regiment. The Black Knights’ former bruising fullback was tending to laundry and running some other errands with his parents upon his return to West Point. As they drove to get something to eat, Viti’s cell phone rang.

“We were driving to go eat and Buffalo had given me a call. It was early in the seventh round,” Viti explains. “They said, ‘We might take you with our next pick.’ I took it for what it was worth. They called again right before their pick and said, “We’re either going to take you or another player. But if we don’t take you, we want to sign you as a free agent. We really want you and want you to know that.’ Right after the draft was over they called again and they laid it out. They said, ‘You’re the guy we want and you’re the only rookie fullback we’re going to bring in (to mini camp).’

“With that, I thought it was a good situation. It seems like they came after me pretty aggressively. They’ve been in contact with me the last few weeks. I feel pretty good about it. That’s part of what goes into the free-agent process. You try to assess what team you see yourself fitting into best.”

With that, Viti agreed to terms with the Bills on a free agent contract.

“I don’t want to get too excited about things, because that’s not going to serve me well,” Viti says. “This day is just one more step towards what I’ve been working towards. I feel really good about that.”

Campbell becomes the first Army player to be selected in the NFL Draft since Ronnie McAda was chosen by the Green Bay Packers with the final pick in 1997.

Campbell and Viti will be participating in the U.S. Army’s Alternative Service Option program. Under guidelines of the program, both players will be allowed to play football with their respective professional organizations while assigned to recruiting stations for two years as long as they remain under contract. Should they retain professional contracts following two years, they will be offered the option of “buying out” the remaining three years of their active-duty commitment in exchange for six years in the U.S. Army Reserves. Campbell and Viti will join baseball standouts Nick Hill and Milan Dinga, as well as former Army hockey goalie Brad Roberts as recent West Point graduates currently enrolled in the program.

Campbell and Viti will begin their professional careers almost immediately, with both heading off to rookie mini camps later this week. And both heading off to the myriad of media events and publicity opportunities that certainly awaits.

Nice. Well it's pretty clear that they thought they could get him into camp without using their last 7th round pick on him. The other guy they weren't sure on. Sounds reasonable to me. (although it would have "looked" better to have drafted a FB)

Here's what it means to be a Regimental Commander, posted on Army website. This kid is a leader...for real...

Long noted as one of the Black Knights’ top leaders on the football field, Viti has been named Third Regimental Commander within the U.S. Corps of Cadets, one of the highest leadership positions in the cadet chain of command.

Under the supervision of the regimental tactical officer (RTO) and brigade commander, the regimental commander directs the regiment. The regimental commander supervises the regimental executive officer and command sergeant major (CSM). He or she is responsible to the RTO and the brigade commander for the overall performance of the regiment. The regimental commander exercises this responsibility through subordinate commanders, and other members of the cadet chain of command and staff members to include cadet noncommissioned officers.

“Mike Viti epitomizes the warrior ethos both on and off the football field,” explained U.S. Military Academy Commandant of Cadets Brig. Gen. Robert Caslen Jr. “He is mentally and physically tough, a totally selfless team player, who always leads from the front. He is a tremendous leader and role model for every member of the Army football team, and for every member of the Corps of Cadets. Mike Viti is the exact type of inspirational leader America needs leading her sons and daughters both at West Point and in today’s Army.”

A “blue-collar” athlete” with a hard-nosed approach to the game, Viti started all 12 games at fullback for Army last fall. The Berwick, Pa. (Berwick H.S.), native listed third on the club in rushing (239) and fourth in pass receiving (13 catches). Perhaps his greatest value to the club, though, remained as a devastating blocker in both the run and pass games.

“I was very surprised when they approached me about the position,” stated Viti. “It’s a huge, huge responsibility. Aside from being team captain for football, I have 1,000 cadets underneath me down in the regiment. I’m going to have to learn how to do a balancing act between the two and not let either suffer. It will take some time, but I’ll get comfortable with it.”

As one of four regimental commanders, Viti will supervise two battalions and eight companies of cadets. Some of his duties will be to provide the principal formal and informal, two-way communications link between the RTO and the cadets assigned to the regiment; he will also be responsible for providing clarification of the RTO’s and brigade commander’s policies, providing guidance for their implementation as appropriate, and monitoring the performance of subordinate units; as well as establishing specific goals and objectives for the academic year to give direction to the regiment, while providing resources necessary to meet the established goals and objectives; he will inspect as required to determine the state of appearance, discipline, morale, maintenance, training, and administrative and logistical support of the regiment and provide feedback to the RTO and the cadet chain of command, as required; and provide guidance for the supervision and coordination of the regimental staff, while monitoring staff performance through the regimental executive officer.

“To be picked as a leader among the football team and a leader within the Corps ... it’s something I’m very proud of ,” Viti added. “I’m going to take the job and I’m going to do my absolute best. I hope it shows the Corps and the football team what we’re all about. We’re all working here together. That’s something we want to get back to. When we’re in the central area, everyone’s a cadet. Nobody’s a football player down there. And when we come up the hill, everybody’s a football player. I hope to be a link between the Corps and all athletic teams.”

How can you NOT be totally pumped to have this kid?

Would have rather had Peyton Hillis from Arkansas. Decent speed and great hands. Could have been had with our first pick in the 7th round.

He's not a great blocker and is small for the position. The Bills want a old school FB, a pure blocker. I thought they would go after Mike Cox from GT, but this guy sounds like what they are looking for. And you gotta love that leadership potential.

The Bills want a old school FB, a pure blocker. I thought they would go after Mike Cox from GT, but this guy sounds like what they are looking for. And you gotta love that leadership potential.

I can't remeber who said it, but it was an old school NFL fullback, "If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three."

I can't remeber who said it, but it was an old school NFL fullback, "If you need a yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards, I'll get you three."

hmmm, that was the guy who backed up robert smith at minni!!

can't remember his name, on the tip of my tounge tho!!