Jerod Mayo

Pete

IMO he will be the highest rated player on the board when we select. He is shooting up charts, and I prefer him to Keith Rivers. We have more pressing needs- but Mayo would be hard to pass up if we stay put at 11. If you subscribe to best player available- the pick should be Mayo. If you watch tapes he is all over the field making plays. I am not sold on Harvey and I think there is depth at WR, TE and CB if we were to wait until later rounds to address those positions. I would love a trade down and still land Mayo- the kid is football player and he is high character. We interviewed Mayo and I am sure he is on the Bills radar. I would not be the least bit surprised if Mayo was our pick

Where would we pplay him though?

He surly would be a great "value" pick, but adding to where there is need is a better way to go. Depth is important too, but I'd prefer to add it in the later rounds. I'm comfortable with Ellison and Di'Gorgio as our back ups, along with a late rounder or a UDFA.

He surly would be a great "value" pick, but adding where there is need is better. Depth is important too, but I'd prefer to add it in the later rounds. I'm comfortable with Ellison and Di'Gorgio as our back ups, along with a late rounder or a UDFA.

True. But it is never a problem having too many playmakers at LB. And at the very least- Mayo would be a special teams demon and get some reps on D. I am just pointing out that if we go by best available player at 11- I think that is Mayo. I do believe in selecting BPA- unless you have a position need that grades out close. How about this draft?-

1-Jerod Mayo

2-Brandon Flowers

3-John Carlson

4-Adarius Bowman

I wouldn't really be interested in seeing them select a LB in the first few rounds. They seem to be pretty well set at the position.

Now perhaps an argument can be made that the Bills should draft Crowell's replacement, but I don't think its necessary to burn a 1st rounder this year to do that. Pick a guy in the middle of the draft and if Crowell does leave, you then have a viable replacement or can use the 1st next year on that spot if you have to.

I doubt he'll be BPA but even if he were, he does nothing to help Edwards develop and he does nothing to bolster the lines. Everyone is making this more complicated than it really is.

The most important task for this organization right now is what? Developing Trent Edwards. You may like Edwards, you may not (I personally am very iffy about him), but it's clear that the Bills like him and that he is the current QB of the future. So it would be good if we can get him some receiving targets to work with so his development will be smoother. A good TE, a #2 WR, both, whatever.

Besides the QB position, the two most important units on a football team are o-line and d-line. The LB corps pales in comparison. If you want to win the Super Bowl, you will want to be dominant on the lines. The Bills may have improved from sh-tfest lines to average lines over the past couple of offseasons but that shouldn't be the end goal. Keep building the lines until you can destroy opponents at the point of attack.

Just say no. We signed our weak-side LB in FA:

Per NFL.com:

Negatives: Has good speed and weight-room strength, but he needs to be more active with his hands in attempts to shed, as he can be absorbed by bigger blockers...Better fit on the outside, as he appears more comfortable making plays on the move rather than having to impact the inside rush lanes...Not stout enough to stack and control in tight areas, as he does not keep his hands active enough to handle double teams.

Showed improved hand usage as a junior, but must do a better job of extending his arms to defeat cut blocks...Needs to finish better as a tackler, as he is more finesse than he is a physical hitter and will get a bit sloppy and take a side or throw a shoulder, resulting in ballcarriers breaking free...Needs to step up and plug the holes at the line of scrimmage and seems a little slow to scrape downhill

Lacks natural hands needed to field the ball cleanly (double catches or lets the ball get into his body, greatly reducing his interception opportunities and turning them into deflections instead)...Better suited for a defensive system that will allow him to cover up, read and move, rather than one that requires Mayo step up and plug holes at the line...Better coming off the edge, where he has good swim and spin moves in attempts to pressure the pocket (can get ping-ponged when trying to bull rush)...Must be more aggressive using his hands to get into the blocker's chest, as the opponent can lock on and push him around at times.

Compares To: RANDALL GODFREY-Washington...During his prime, Godfrey's ability to play on the outside or inside proved invaluable. While Mayo proved that he has the field smarts to handle middle linebacker, he might lack the bulk to do so at the next level, unless the team has big defensive tackles to absorb the blocks and protect him.

With his range and closing speed, he could be a better fit on the weak side, whether aligned outside in a 4-3 or inside in a 3-4. He could be a perfect fit to team up with David Harris in New York's 3-4 defense. Still, with his history of injury problems, one has to wonder if he can survive a full season at the next level.

Just say no. We signed our weak-side LB in FA:

Per NFL.com:

Negatives: Has good speed and weight-room strength, but he needs to be more active with his hands in attempts to shed, as he can be absorbed by bigger blockers...Better fit on the outside, as he appears more comfortable making plays on the move rather than having to impact the inside rush lanes...Not stout enough to stack and control in tight areas, as he does not keep his hands active enough to handle double teams.

Showed improved hand usage as a junior, but must do a better job of extending his arms to defeat cut blocks...Needs to finish better as a tackler, as he is more finesse than he is a physical hitter and will get a bit sloppy and take a side or throw a shoulder, resulting in ballcarriers breaking free...Needs to step up and plug the holes at the line of scrimmage and seems a little slow to scrape downhill

Lacks natural hands needed to field the ball cleanly (double catches or lets the ball get into his body, greatly reducing his interception opportunities and turning them into deflections instead)...Better suited for a defensive system that will allow him to cover up, read and move, rather than one that requires Mayo step up and plug holes at the line...Better coming off the edge, where he has good swim and spin moves in attempts to pressure the pocket (can get ping-ponged when trying to bull rush)...Must be more aggressive using his hands to get into the blocker's chest, as the opponent can lock on and push him around at times.

Compares To: RANDALL GODFREY-Washington...During his prime, Godfrey's ability to play on the outside or inside proved invaluable. While Mayo proved that he has the field smarts to handle middle linebacker, he might lack the bulk to do so at the next level, unless the team has big defensive tackles to absorb the blocks and protect him.

With his range and closing speed, he could be a better fit on the weak side, whether aligned outside in a 4-3 or inside in a 3-4. He could be a perfect fit to team up with David Harris in New York's 3-4 defense. Still, with his history of injury problems, one has to wonder if he can survive a full season at the next level.

And that's what we need. We have Poz and Mitch to provide gap control. We need a play maker and edge guy. Crow gets eaten alive as well, the only thing crow does better is intercept, but how many opportunities will a LB have really (3-4). I'd rather someone disrupt the edge, get sacks and stretch running plays to the outside with speed.

We have Poz who is in the middle so who cares about Mayo being a MLB.

IMO he will be the highest rated player on the board when we select. He is shooting up charts, and I prefer him to Keith Rivers. We have more pressing needs- but Mayo would be hard to pass up if we stay put at 11. If you subscribe to best player available- the pick should be Mayo. If you watch tapes he is all over the field making plays. I am not sold on Harvey and I think there is depth at WR, TE and CB if we were to wait until later rounds to address those positions. I would love a trade down and still land Mayo- the kid is football player and he is high character. We interviewed Mayo and I am sure he is on the Bills radar. I would not be the least bit surprised if Mayo was our pick

He's shooting up the charts the same way Erik Flowers did. And man, he turned out great. :unsure: BPA drafting is what Donablow did for all those years here, which is what sent this team into the depths of oblivion. You have to take the best player at a NEED position. Mayo is not in a NEED position. Would it be nice to have an LB upgrade? Sure, but they don't need one. We NEED a receiver to play opposite Evans and who can give our offense a weapon not name Lynch or Evans. I could maybe see a CB getting picked at #11, but it seems the Bills have targeted Thomas, and I think that is a great pick. Far better than Mayo, who has never once in any mock I have looked at been taken ahead of 18. Maybe you thought Erik Flowers was the man, but I'd prefer not to take another one.

Just think,!!!

CB Lito Sheppard

TE Jeremy Shockey

1RD Pick - WR James Hardy

2RD Pick - CB Antoine Cason

3RD Pick - C Mike Pollack

3RD Pick (via PHI Eagles trade)- DE Jason Jones

That would be an amazing 3 rounds, but we all know we don't live in a dream world !!!

And that's what we need. We have Poz and Mitch to provide gap control. We need a play maker and edge guy. Crow gets eaten alive as well, the only thing crow does better is intercept, but how many opportunities will a LB have really (3-4). I'd rather someone disrupt the edge, get sacks and stretch running plays to the outside with speed.

Crowell plays the stong side and Mitchell was signed to play in space on the weak side. Mayo's not suited for the strong side and I doubt the coaching staff would move Kawika to a new position.

Just think,!!!

CB Lito Sheppard

TE Jeremy Shockey

1RD Pick - WR James Hardy

2RD Pick - CB Antoine Cason

3RD Pick - C Mike Pollack

3RD Pick (via PHI Eagles trade)- DE Jason Jones

That would be an amazing 3 rounds, but we all know we don't live in a dream world !!!

The only thing that is a dream world, I think are getting both Sheppard and Shockey. That's only because I think Shockey is either signed with Tampa or is in serious talks with them. I can't remember which it was that ESPN was talking about yesterday. Your picks are perfectly possible, though Cason is unlikely in the Second. More likely, Buffalo will end up with Brandon Flowers there. I like the Hardy, Pollack and Jones Picks A LOT and think that provides a very likely scenario. If we do enter into a trade with Philadelphia, we will have to get Sheppard and a third for them to trade up, and we may have to give up a fifth. Big deal. For a guy like Sheppard and to be able to get Jason Jones in the third would be well worth that pick. Nice work.

He's shooting up the charts the same way Erik Flowers did. And man, he turned out great. :unsure: BPA drafting is what Donablow did for all those years here, which is what sent this team into the depths of oblivion. You have to take the best player at a NEED position. Mayo is not in a NEED position. Would it be nice to have an LB upgrade? Sure, but they don't need one. We NEED a receiver to play opposite Evans and who can give our offense a weapon not name Lynch or Evans. I could maybe see a CB getting picked at #11, but it seems the Bills have targeted Thomas, and I think that is a great pick. Far better than Mayo, who has never once in any mock I have looked at been taken ahead of 18. Maybe you thought Erik Flowers was the man, but I'd prefer not to take another one.

Donahoe was BPTPGTA (Best Player to Prove Genius That is Available).

There is no comparison between Mayo and Flowers. Flowers was not BPA- he was some player that TD was enamored with. Mayo at 11 very well can be BPA. He has produced his college career. Watch the tape of Tennesee and you will see a lot of Mayo. Donahoe and drafting for need? Mike Williams is the best example why you don't draft for need- you draft BPA. We drafted Mike Williams because our #1 need was oline.

We passed on:

Roy Williams

John Henderson

Dwight Freeney

Jeremy Shockey

Albert Haynesworth

Javon Walker

Ed Reed

Charles Grant

Man how the hell did TD !@#$ up that draft so bad? So please do not try and explain to me that TD drafted BPA. He drafted for need- and that is why his drafts are subpar and why we have not made the playoffs since 1999. Draft BPA! Always!

There is no comparison between Mayo and Flowers. Flowers was not BPA- he was some player that TD was enamored with. Mayo at 11 very well can be BPA. He has produced his college career. Watch the tape of Tennesee and you will see a lot of Mayo. Donahoe and drafting for need? Mike Williams is the best example why you don't draft for need- you draft BPA. We drafted Mike Williams because our #1 need was oline.

We passed on:

Roy Williams

John Henderson

Dwight Freeney

Jeremy Shockey

Albert Haynesworth

Javon Walker

Ed Reed

Charles Grant

Man how the hell did TD !@#$ up that draft so bad? So please do not try and explain to me that TD drafted BPA. He drafted for need- and that is why his drafts are subpar and why we have not made the playoffs since 1999. Draft BPA! Always!

Way to pick the one time TD actually did pick for need to try and say he wasn't a BPA drafter. I submit to you all of the following TD choices.

JP Losman

Lee Evans

Roscoe Parrish

Kevin Everett

Willis McGahee

The list is longer and I'm not going to continue, but you get my point. Mayo is not worth a number 11 pick. If you think Devin Thomas isn't worth one, then this guy certainly isn't. And IIRC Flowers soared up the charts with a great combine and pro day and many scouts saw him becoming a super star in the NFL. Mayo is going to be an above average linebacker, but you're talking about the guy like he is the next coming of Ray Lewis. Sorry to disappoint, but at #11, there will be at least six players who are better than Mayo that I would much rather see in a Bills uniform, even at the LB position. Here are some examples of Better Players.

Derrick Harvey

Keith Rivers

Quentin Groves

Rashard Mendenhall (By your theory its ANY player who is BPA right? We have ML, but Mendenhall is better than Mayo)

Philip Merling

Antoine Cason

Ryan Clady

John Otah

Dan Connor (PSU LB who is much better than Mayo. Try looking at their stats and comparing the Conf. they played in).

Arguably, Devin Thomas and James Hardy are better than Mayo, but I think there is less concensus on those two. TD was the master of BPA drafting, and it was because of that, when the time came for him to draft for need, he screwed up and took a guy who turned out like most of his draft picks. Washed up or overrated. But hey, let's continue that string into the future. Eventually even the sun shines on a dog's ass.

Way to pick the one time TD actually did pick for need to try and say he wasn't a BPA drafter. I submit to you all of the following TD choices.

JP Losman

Lee Evans

Roscoe Parrish

Kevin Everett

Willis McGahee

The list is longer and I'm not going to continue, but you get my point. Mayo is not worth a number 11 pick. If you think Devin Thomas isn't worth one, then this guy certainly isn't. And IIRC Flowers soared up the charts with a great combine and pro day and many scouts saw him becoming a super star in the NFL. Mayo is going to be an above average linebacker, but you're talking about the guy like he is the next coming of Ray Lewis. Sorry to disappoint, but at #11, there will be at least six players who are better than Mayo that I would much rather see in a Bills uniform, even at the LB position. Here are some examples of Better Players.

Derrick Harvey

Keith Rivers

Quentin Groves

Rashard Mendenhall (By your theory its ANY player who is BPA right? We have ML, but Mendenhall is better than Mayo)

Philip Merling

Antoine Cason

Ryan Clady

John Otah

Dan Connor (PSU LB who is much better than Mayo. Try looking at their stats and comparing the Conf. they played in).

Arguably, Devin Thomas and James Hardy are better than Mayo, but I think there is less concensus on those two. TD was the master of BPA drafting, and it was because of that, when the time came for him to draft for need, he screwed up and took a guy who turned out like most of his draft picks. Washed up or overrated. But hey, let's continue that string into the future. Eventually even the sun shines on a dog's ass.

JP Losman-need- we had Bledsoe sucking ass (BPA Steven Jackson, Karlos Dansby, Travis Leboy, Bob Sanders, Antwan Odom)

Lee Evans-need-score for TD-Lee was BPA and a need- were you gonna stick with Moulds as your #1?

Roscoe Parrish-a messy draft- no pick until late- it was a need pick-unless you like Josh Reed as your #2-BPA- that is debatable (BPA Frank Gore, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Trent Cole, Derek Anderson- weak class)

Kevin Everett-need pick-where have you gone Pete Metz...? McKeller was good, Riemersma ok- garbage since-we still need a TE!- same class as Roscoe, Kevin was a third round pick- and we could of had our choice of all of the above if we drafted BPA)

Willis McGahee- this pick shocked me. I liked Travis Henry but evidently TD did not- he ran him out of town the following year (BPA Larry Johnson, Eric Steinbach, Anquan Boldin, Osi Umenyiora, Lance Briggs, Asante Samuel)

We did not draft the BPA for your examples (with the exception of Lee). Do you still think we were better off with the BPA or for drafting need?

Derrick Harvey- I have Mayo rated much higher

Keith Rivers- I prefer Mayo

Quentin Groves- I am a big fan- 11 is probably early-but Groves I will give you

Rashard Mendenhall (By your theory its ANY player who is BPA right? We have ML, but Mendenhall is better than Mayo)-great RB-I have him rated on par with Mayo

Philip Merling-Mayo better IMO

Antoine Cason-Mayo better IMO

Ryan Clady- I rate Mayo higher

John Otah-I rate Mayo higher

Dan Connor- does not belong in the first round

He surly would be a great "value" pick, but adding to where there is need is a better way to go. Depth is important too, but I'd prefer to add it in the later rounds. I'm comfortable with Ellison and Di'Gorgio as our back ups, along with a late rounder or a UDFA.

Ellison won't be on the team this upcoming season regardless who the Bills pick 1st overall. They will draft an OLB at some point this weekend to take over as backup for the oft rolled over, beaten in coverage Ellison.

JP Losman-need- we had Bledsoe sucking ass (BPA Steven Jackson, Karlos Dansby, Travis Leboy, Bob Sanders, Antwan Odom)

Lee Evans-need-score for TD-Lee was BPA and a need- were you gonna stick with Moulds as your #1?

Roscoe Parrish-a messy draft- no pick until late- it was a need pick-unless you like Josh Reed as your #2-BPA- that is debatable (BPA Frank Gore, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Trent Cole, Derek Anderson- weak class)

Kevin Everett-need pick-where have you gone Pete Metz...? McKeller was good, Riemersma ok- garbage since-we still need a TE!- same class as Roscoe, Kevin was a third round pick- and we could of had our choice of all of the above if we drafted BPA)

Willis McGahee- this pick shocked me. I liked Travis Henry but evidently TD did not- he ran him out of town the following year (BPA Larry Johnson, Eric Steinbach, Anquan Boldin, Osi Umenyiora, Lance Briggs, Asante Samuel)

We did not draft the BPA for your examples (with the exception of Lee). Do you still think we were better off with the BPA or for drafting need?

Derrick Harvey- I have Mayo rated much higher

Keith Rivers- I prefer Mayo

Quentin Groves- I am a big fan- 11 is probably early-but Groves I will give you

Rashard Mendenhall (By your theory its ANY player who is BPA right? We have ML, but Mendenhall is better than Mayo)-great RB-I have him rated on par with Mayo

Philip Merling-Mayo better IMO

Antoine Cason-Mayo better IMO

Ryan Clady- I rate Mayo higher

John Otah-I rate Mayo higher

Dan Connor- does not belong in the first round

Lee Evans was not the BPA.

Both Tommie Harris and Vince Wilfork were better players at a much more difficult position to fill.

TD was blinded by trying to create a legacy for himself by manufacturing his tripletts.

After ignoring DL to take Evans, he reached big time to use 3 picks on JP on the futile hope of molding him into a top flight NFL QB.

There is no comparison between Mayo and Flowers. Flowers was not BPA- he was some player that TD was enamored with. Mayo at 11 very well can be BPA. He has produced his college career. Watch the tape of Tennesee and you will see a lot of Mayo. Donahoe and drafting for need? Mike Williams is the best example why you don't draft for need- you draft BPA.

Flowers was someone TD was enamored with? Do you mean John Butler...?