Excellent Bills Pre-Draft Analysis

http://walterfootball.com/mattpredraftbuf.php

Buffalo Bills (Last Year: 7-9)

I personally feel like the smartest and most productive use of free agency this year was the Buffalo Bills. They traded some mid-round picks for Marcus Stroud, who is one of the elite defensive tackles in the NFL, as long as he stays healthy. I like the signing of Kawika Mitchell as a weakside linebacker. Spencer Johnson brings depth at defensive tackle.

I felt like Dick Jauron should have gotten mention for Coach of the Year last season. Call me crazy - to go through what he did with all the injuries, a rookie quarterback, and still end up with seven wins is very impressive in my book.

I'm not blowing smoke when I say the Buffalo Bills have the talent to absolutely win the AFC East, and yes, beat the New England Patriots. Likely to happen? No. Is the potential there? I think so.

Right to the Bills range with the 11th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft:

Limas Sweed: A popular pick has been Malcolm Kelly to the Bills, which I never once bought into, considering the depth in this draft class at receiver. If they were to go with a receiver Sweed is the only one who I could see happening here. I don't think this is very likely to happen, considering Sweed doesn't give much value at No. 11, then again neither did Donte Whitner at No. 8 (in terms of consensus opinion) or trading up for John McCargo at No. 26 both in the 2006 Draft.

Sweed is a sleeper to the Bills here.

Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aqib Talib, Antoine Cason: The Bills' second-biggest need is cornerback, though it's not a glaring need. They have semi-adequate starters in Terrence McGee and Jabari Greer. Ashton Youboty has the upside to break out in his third season, but they don't have a lock-down guy, and it's possible they look at this position. The Bills employ a Tampa-2 hybrid defense (meaning some Cover-2 zone, some press man coverage) so the kind of player they are looking for here in terms of a corner is entirely wide open. Talib is the best fit for the Tampa-2 in this draft, but Antoine Cason is not far behind. If they want to look at more of a man-cover corner, Cromartie would be the pick here. Jenkins has some range here, but his character concerns might not appeal to this front office.

If all four of these players were on the board and I had to predict which one, I'd say Aqib Talib with his elite ball skills and instincts, which is what teams that employ the Tampa-2 scheme look for (and it's hard to judge the Bills because they do run a hybrid Tampa-2).

Phillip Merling: I think the Bills are 80 percent likely to go defensive end at No. 11. One of the two players that should be on the board whom they will consider is Clemson prospect Phillip Merling. I got criticized for being high on him after Mike Mayock put him in his top 10 of his initial big board, yet Merling made my All-Underrated Preseason Team back in August 2007. Merling's calling card is his aggression toward the run, and I think his player comparison is Patrick Kerney if you are looking for one. He has quicker hips and is a better pass rusher than given credit for. If Derrick Harvey is off the board, I think they will definitely consider Merling at No. 11.

Derrick Harvey: This team is in dire need of a pass rush. Chris Kelsay (28 years old, 2.5 sacks), and Ryan Denney (willl be 31 years old and 1 sack last season) are mediocre talents at defensive end, and must be replaced. If you want to beat the New England Patriots, you need a pass rush. Exhibit A: The Super Bowl Champion New York Giants.

Harvey will bring a pass rush. He really bulked up for the Combine at 271 pounds, and this immediately raised his stock to No. 11 overall in my next mock draft. I was worried about his slim frame, but it looks like he has started to mature physically. I think he will get faster and stronger, so that's certainly a positive here. He has the quickest first step in his pass rush of any player in this draft, including Vernon Gholston.

I have called this pick ever since the Combine, and I will not stop with it as long as Harvey is available to the Bills in my mock draft.

Now trust me, Bills fans on the message boards I post on have criticized me time and time again for not giving them a wide receiver in the first round - but I missed the part when it was impossible to draft a productive receiver in Rounds 2 or 3.

Jordy Nelson, Earl Bennett, Early Doucet, and Malcolm Kelly are possibilities in the second round (and yes I think Kelly can fall that far if he is a huge medical/speed concern). In the third-round range I think they should look at Keenan Burton, Mario Manningham, and Harry Douglas if they don't go receiver in the second.

The Bills do have a bit of a need for a center, so Mike Pollack, Jamey Richard, Kory Lichtensteiger, and Fernando Velasco are all whom they could target at center from the third round to the seventh round.

They have a need at tight end as well. Fred Davis and Dustin Keller are in their range at their No. 41 pick. John Sullivan, Martellus Bennett, Brad Cottam, and Jacob Tamme are in their mid-round draft range.

Also, they could look at guard; Jeremy Zuttah and Oniel Cousins have the versatility to play both guard and center, and could be considered in the third or fourth rounds. Eric Young, Roy Schuening, Mike McGlynn, and Donald Thomas are in their mid-round range (3rd-5th) as well.

If they don't take a corner in the first or second round, they might want to try to find a sleeper in the third or fourth round as well with players like Chevis Jackson, Patrick Lee and Zack Bowman.

The Bills are going to come out of this draft as an extremely dangerous football team if they choose some solid prospects. I am telling you right now to not doubt this team; they are looking like the next Cleveland Browns.

I personally feel like the smartest and most productive use of free agency this year was the Buffalo Bills. They traded some mid-round picks for Marcus Stroud, who is one of the elite defensive tackles in the NFL, as long as he stays healthy. I like the signing of Kawika Mitchell as a weakside linebacker. Spencer Johnson brings depth at defensive tackle.

I felt like Dick Jauron should have gotten mention for Coach of the Year last season. Call me crazy - to go through what he did with all the injuries, a rookie quarterback, and still end up with seven wins is very impressive in my book.

I'm not blowing smoke when I say the Buffalo Bills have the talent to absolutely win the AFC East, and yes, beat the New England Patriots. Likely to happen? No. Is the potential there? I think so.

Limas Sweed: A popular pick has been Malcolm Kelly to the Bills, which I never once bought into, considering the depth in this draft class at receiver. If they were to go with a receiver Sweed is the only one who I could see happening here. I don't think this is very likely to happen, considering Sweed doesn't give much value at No. 11, then again neither did Donte Whitner at No. 8 (in terms of consensus opinion) or trading up for John McCargo at No. 26 both in the 2006 Draft.

Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aqib Talib, Antoine Cason: The Bills' second-biggest need is cornerback, though it's not a glaring need. They have semi-adequate starters in Terrence McGee and Jabari Greer. Ashton Youboty has the upside to break out in his third season, but they don't have a lock-down guy, and it's possible they look at this position. The Bills employ a Tampa-2 hybrid defense (meaning some Cover-2 zone, some press man coverage) so the kind of player they are looking for here in terms of a corner is entirely wide open. Talib is the best fit for the Tampa-2 in this draft, but Antoine Cason is not far behind. If they want to look at more of a man-cover corner, Cromartie would be the pick here. Jenkins has some range here, but his character concerns might not appeal to this front office.

If all four of these players were on the board and I had to predict which one, I'd say Aqib Talib with his elite ball skills and instincts, which is what teams that employ the Tampa-2 scheme look for (and it's hard to judge the Bills because they do run a hybrid Tampa-2).

Phillip Merling: I think the Bills are 80 percent likely to go defensive end at No. 11. One of the two players that should be on the board whom they will consider is Clemson prospect Phillip Merling. I got criticized for being high on him after Mike Mayock put him in his top 10 of his initial big board, yet Merling made my All-Underrated Preseason Team back in August 2007. Merling's calling card is his aggression toward the run, and I think his player comparison is Patrick Kerney if you are looking for one. He has quicker hips and is a better pass rusher than given credit for. If Derrick Harvey is off the board, I think they will definitely consider Merling at No. 11.

Derrick Harvey: This team is in dire need of a pass rush. Chris Kelsay (28 years old, 2.5 sacks), and Ryan Denney (willl be 31 years old and 1 sack last season) are mediocre talents at defensive end, and must be replaced. If you want to beat the New England Patriots, you need a pass rush. Exhibit A: The Super Bowl Champion New York Giants.

Harvey will bring a pass rush. He really bulked up for the Combine at 271 pounds, and this immediately raised his stock to No. 11 overall in my next mock draft. I was worried about his slim frame, but it looks like he has started to mature physically. I think he will get faster and stronger, so that's certainly a positive here. He has the quickest first step in his pass rush of any player in this draft, including Vernon Gholston.

I have called this pick ever since the Combine, and I will not stop with it as long as Harvey is available to the Bills in my mock draft.

Now trust me, Bills fans on the message boards I post on have criticized me time and time again for not giving them a wide receiver in the first round - but I missed the part when it was impossible to draft a productive receiver in Rounds 2 or 3.

Jordy Nelson, Earl Bennett, Early Doucet, and Malcolm Kelly are possibilities in the second round (and yes I think Kelly can fall that far if he is a huge medical/speed concern). In the third-round range I think they should look at Keenan Burton, Mario Manningham, and Harry Douglas if they don't go receiver in the second.

The Bills do have a bit of a need for a center, so Mike Pollack, Jamey Richard, Kory Lichtensteiger, and Fernando Velasco are all whom they could target at center from the third round to the seventh round.

They have a need at tight end as well. Fred Davis and Dustin Keller are in their range at their No. 41 pick. John Sullivan, Martellus Bennett, Brad Cottam, and Jacob Tamme are in their mid-round draft range.

Also, they could look at guard; Jeremy Zuttah and Oniel Cousins have the versatility to play both guard and center, and could be considered in the third or fourth rounds. Eric Young, Roy Schuening, Mike McGlynn, and Donald Thomas are in their mid-round range (3rd-5th) as well.

If they don't take a corner in the first or second round, they might want to try to find a sleeper in the third or fourth round as well with players like Chevis Jackson, Patrick Lee and Zack Bowman.

The Bills are going to come out of this draft as an extremely dangerous football team if they choose some solid prospects. I am telling you right now to not doubt this team; they are looking like the next Cleveland Browns.

Great analysis which I totally agree with. Finally, someone with some sensibility. I am sooooooo tired of hearing that we have 3 good DE's. We don't. We NEED a good DE to rush the passer. The Giants showed what that can do. I'm NOT convinced that Stroud will make our DE's better. Stroud will do a great job inside, but we NEED someone on the edge to pressure the QB. I think this is our #1 NEED and we should fill it if the player is available to us. We should then draft the best WR when we pick next, then a solid TE and C. We also should look to try to move up in rounds 2 and 3 to obatin these players if possible while also looking at CB as well. If we can fill 4 of these 5 areas with 1 being a DE, I think the Bills can definitely challenge next year. I still think they need this year to get continuity and build the team up, but this is a critical draft this year. No more brain lapses like Donte Whitner. He is a good player, but we missed a great chance then to really improve our team. We can't afford to do that again. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!

Nice writeup. I pretty much agree with all of it. :rolleyes:

Merling is the target if a trade down into the mid-teens.

However, he is more in the mold of Kelsay and Denney - not a pure pass rusher

Did Kelsay and Denny suddenly beef up on steroids this offseason????

Put in Merling in the search box...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...aft/2008/video/

Sorry, but I see no comparison with our two "high-motor" do nothing DEs. Kelsay and Denny are certainly not in the beefy brutish mold of this guy Merling. Body-wise, this guy looks like he's more in the mold of Reggie White.

Did Kelsay and Denny suddenly beef up on steroids this offseason????

Put in Merling in the search box...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...aft/2008/video/

Sorry, but I see no comparison with our two "high-motor" do nothing DEs. Kelsay and Denny are certainly not in the beefy brutish mold of this guy Merling. Body-wise, this guy looks like he's more in the mold of Reggie White.

Kelsay and Denny are nothing more than servicable backups. The only problem with that is the contracts that are in place. Too expensive to keep on the bench. But we do have the cap room to keep them both if we wnted and rotate them.

I like his analysis, but unless I'm reading it wrong, he says in the 1st round we will either draft a WR (Sweed), or a CB (Jenkins, DCR, Talib, or Cason) or a DE (Merling or Harvey). Talk about covering your bases! I can't argue with the reasoning, but I wish he'd be a little more specific.

Well, he did say he was 80% certain DE.