What does it mean to be

According to MM, Shaw was cut because he was not productive enough in games and in practice.

If I was a player I'd be tempted to go to MM's office and ask if I was productive enough in practice.  What the heck does "productive in practice" mean?

71782[/snapback]

Failed his cup check. Miserably.

According to MM, Shaw was cut because he was not productive enough in games and in practice.

If I was a player I'd be tempted to go to MM's office and ask if I was productive enough in practice.  What the heck does "productive in practice" mean?

71782[/snapback]

I'm assuming you're not joking?

For those of us who have engaged in any sort of athletic endeavor, it's pretty obvious what it means to be productive during practice: Work hard, get into it, and hustle.

I guess I don't think of hustle in practice as "production". If practice hustle was an issue with Shaw, I can't believe the coaches never discussed this with him previously.

One of the basics of leadership is making sure evveryone knows what's expected and letting everyone know where they stand at all times. I hope MM has this covered - there should be few surprises.

You know how some players are said to perform better in games than in practice? I hate to bring up the analogy of DF & RJ but compare those 2. RJ very studious, works hard, talented & is probably the best looking player on the practice field. Not to imply that DF doesn't work hard but his physical limitations and playing style would make him a worse practice player - i.e. less productive.

Now bear in mind that in practice your teammates depend on you to help them learn techiniques, assignments and generally play better. If a player doesn't perform up to his abilities his other teammates suffer as well.

If you're someone like Moulds (a game-time star) or Jennings (who's always hurt & a solid contributor when healthy), you can get away w/ this. When you're the 4th or perhaps 5th best WR it just doesn't cut it. I recall it mentioned that Sam Aiken often looked the best of the WRs during practice.

71782[/snapback]

Haven't you ever watched "Rudy"?