CB

Astrobot

NFL Draft Blitz Premium Edition had this to say:

- "We ran into some interesting cornerback rankings we thought we'd pass along. One AFC East team ranks the top five this way: 1) Mike Jenkins, 2) Antoine Cason, 3) Leodis McKelvin, 4) Brandon Flowers, 5) Tracy Porter. That team had Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ranked 7th at the position."

Anybody else think this is good news?

Whoever takes Mike Jenkins can have him. I think he'll be a character issue. He can play man or zone, so that would be a plus with us. His support of the run is better than most of these guys.

I like Cason a lot; his 46 straight games without injury and articulate interviews speak volumes to Bills staffers. Has the most INT's of these 7. I also like his sidekick CB Wilrey Fontenot as a UDFA pickup.

McKelvin has the physical skill and the game-breaking ability that teams playing lots of man coverage will require. I'd be surprised if he's there at #11, but I'm intrigued that some AFC East team (and all 3 pick before we do) has him 3rd on the list.

Flowers might have the anticipation skills some others lack, but he's the smallest of the Top 13 CB's. We have enough tall WR's in our division that it's a factor. Some have mentioned

Porter is an attractive selection later on as a safety/corner hybrid. He has the same number of INT's as Jenkins.

DR-C looks like an athletic freak, he's big, and the fastest of the Top 10 CB's, and the most INT's of the Top 7. His Division 1-AA competition makes his stats and game tapes suspect, but he still looks better than being number 7 on anyone's list.

Talib must have been 6th on this team's list. Again, if you've seen his game tapes, you'd be scratching your head at the #6 ranking. High football IQ, most INT's except for Jenkins and Porter.

Jenkins is a heck of an athlete too, though I have to say that sounds like the Jets or the Dolphins ranking board. However, if we took Jenkins at 11 it would not be bad. He has the size and speed that we are looking for to play in the cover two. I would rather have Talib or DRC if we were to pick a CB at 11, but any of the top six or seven corners in this year's draft are very good. I still think we take WR in the first after trading back and get Flowers with our first pick in the second round.

From Pat Kirwan

Jenkins came into the winter as the top corner prospect but the game tapes exposed his poor tackling. If a team is playing man coverage or wants to incorporate more man into their scheme, Jenkins is an excellent candidate. He may struggle early against great route runners and three-man patterns that cause him to key and diagnose. His concentration can be challenged according to a few college coaches I spoke with that played against him. He will get picked on as a rookie and he needs to improve his game while getting challenged. Draft projection: Round 1.

While DRC is the best physical specimen and athlete. And McKelvin is the most rounded. I personally like Cason the best. He times slow, yes, but he is a great corner. He won the Thorpe award and is absolutely a perfect fit for our defence. His character is great, which is a huge bonus. Cason Cares, the guy raised money for cancer.

Teams strategically leak info all the time. This could be a smokescreen or maybe one player fits their scheme better than another.

Ourlads rated McKelvin and Rogers-Cromartie as definite first rounders. Jenkins, Cason and Talib were categorized and first or second rounders.

Astro, where is Cason slated to go?

He's the player ranked #50 on our Big Board, and we have him going to Philly at #49, which means he's a candidate for our RD#2, #42. FYI, Fred Davis is #49 on the Big Board, and Martellus Bennett is #43.

Although I'm not Astrobot I'd say Bennett has superior size over Davis and more potential. He's very athletic and is only 20 years old with a good all-around game already. I think with Bennett being a surprise early entry, everyone is playing a little catch up and finding that he could have the best pro potential in this draft class.

Although I'm not Astrobot I'd say Bennett has superior size over Davis and more potential. He's very athletic and is only 20 years old with a good all-around game already. I think with Bennett being a surprise early entry, everyone is playing a little catch up and finding that he could have the best pro potential in this draft class.

Right Answer.

I would add that Davis's film showed that he was a "tell", meaning you could tell by his early movement whether he was a potential receiver. He would "trot" if he wasn't going to be receiving on that play. Scouts didn't like that. Also, Davis isn't seen as the blocker that Bennett and even Keller and Carlson. HOWEVER, Davis was a playmaker when he was utilized enough.

Right Answer.

I would add that Davis's film showed that he was a "tell", meaning you could tell by his early movement whether he was a potential receiver. He would "trot" if he wasn't going to be receiving on that play. Scouts didn't like that. Also, Davis isn't seen as the blocker that Bennett and even Keller and Carlson. HOWEVER, Davis was a playmaker when he was utilized enough.

Yeah, I think with Bennett it just comes down to him being the complete package. The other top TEs round out a solid class, but all lack something. Davis is short and one-dimensional, Keller will struggle to lineup at TE in the pros, Carlson lacks big-play ability, Cottam is raw and Rucker isn't necessarily great at any one thing (I do still like him though).

Interesting read.

I guess Sal shouldn't expect a Christmas card from Hall this year...

saw this in there

Let's look at the San Francisco 49ers. In 2007, they jumped at the chance to sign Clements from the Buffalo Bills. The Niners' deal with Clements was eight years for $80 million. And what did the Niners get? From 2006 to 2007, the opposition's passing yards went up (from 3,817 to 3,826), interceptions went down (from 14 to 12) and sacks went down (34 to 31). And that's with the NFL's defensive rookie of the year, linebacker Patrick Willis.