Speaking of Buffalo Bills and Cornerbacks

According to Football Outsiders and their statistical analysis :

The Bills Cornerbacks finished-

12th in the league defending against teams number one receiver

30th in the league defending against teams number two receiver

8th in the league defending against teams number three receiver

take this into consideration when thinking about drafting a CB.

OK, so that means what exactly? Do the Bills flip flop corners or does MCGee stay on the same side all the time? Does Greer cover the slot or does he stay outside? All important questions. It also tells you we had zero pass rush since the QB was able to hit his secondary option that often. My guess is they covered the #3 recieiver so well because the #2 already had the catch and was running away...

corners are often the best picks.

they come out of the gate ready, they are super expensive to sign in fa, and they can make everyone in front of them better.

an extra half or 3/4 of a second can make a big diff in how many sacks and turnovers we get.

Simple fix then:

we put our nickel on their #1- improving us to 8th

Switch our 2 to nickel- cause that's the weakest guy anyway so 30th, who cares?

Move our #1 to #2!

I have just improved us to an excellent defensive backfield. You're welcome. Flawless logic :thumbdown:

Don't forget all of the turnover that we had last year at that position as well. I mean, we had Whitner playing CB for part of the year along with the other backups. It's no wonder that there is such a disparity between the 1st and the 2nd CB's.

Modrak made a comment 2 days ago that makes some folks wonder about the selection of a cornerback in RD#1 next Saturday:

"There is consideration what you can pick up next time around and not be isolated, and ask, 'What's better for us now and what's better for us in a little while?' "

Modrak was talking about both WR and CB.

Look at who's available "the next time around" in Round 2:

-----Early Doucet WR- LSU 6'0 hvyest - Rams?

-----Malcolm Kelly WR- OK biggest 224, 4.55

-----Mario Manningham WR- Mich 6'0 char issues, drops

-----Andre Caldwell WR- Florida 6'0 4.37 #2nd fastest WR, low Wonderlic

-----Justin King CB-Penn St 4.3 avg tkl, shoulder issues

-----Reggie Smith CB- Okla 4.4, safety exper, KR,PR

-----Charles Godfrey CB- Chris Brown's favorite CB

-----Brandon Flowers CB- Va Tech 5'9" short, good anticipation, char issues

-----Charles Godfrey CB - Iowa Chris Brown Rxed; rising quickly

From the list, the Bills seem to be zeroed in on two CB's, Reggie Smith (who's been to 1 Bills drive for a visit) and Charles Godfrey, who Bills blogger Chris Brown is quite high on. Cason won't be there at #42 either. Doucet and Kelly are likely gone by the Bills' pick if they stay at #42. Manningham and Flowers are not likely due to character issues. Caldwell scored one of the lower Wonderlic scores and his skillset resembles Parrish too much. To me it looks like the CB's (Smiith, Godfrey, and maybe King) will get a close look in Round 2.

Simple fix then:

we put our nickel on their #1- improving us to 8th

Switch our 2 to nickel- cause that's the weakest guy anyway so 30th, who cares?

Move our #1 to #2!

I have just improved us to an excellent defensive backfield. You're welcome. Flawless logic ;)

Ok, ok....I see your having some fun.

But to be honest ,I'm sure every team has some type of measurement or analysis to rate their DB's.

Not sure how close Football Outsiders is to the Bills.

I just posted it FYI.

corners are often the best picks.

they come out of the gate ready, they are super expensive to sign in fa, and they can make everyone in front of them better.

an extra half or 3/4 of a second can make a big diff in how many sacks and turnovers we get.

mmmmmmm.....I would argue the opposite. It's the front 7 that'll make the secondary shine. Don't get me wrong, good CBs are, well, good ;), but even the best secondaries can't hold coverage long enough to make a defensive front better. Especially ours. Now I understand in theory the addition of Stroud SHOULD free up our ends, but we're not talking about classic "get after the QB " type ends here.

Give me someone who knows how to sniff out the QB in a hurry. Our CBs instantly become better.

OK, so that means what exactly? Do the Bills flip flop corners or does MCGee stay on the same side all the time? Does Greer cover the slot or does he stay outside? All important questions. It also tells you we had zero pass rush since the QB was able to hit his secondary option that often. My guess is they covered the #3 recieiver so well because the #2 already had the catch and was running away...

Remember, Greer played well when he was matched up against the top WRs. Better than McGee in my opinion.

These facts confirm to me that our CBs have trouble stopping the passing game and makes the case that a key to us helping out these troubled players is for us to invest in getting a better pass rush, Can you really make the case that there are rookies and UDFAs out there who are gonna shut down opposing passing games?

Modrak made a comment 2 days ago that makes some folks wonder about the selection of a cornerback in RD#1 next Saturday:

"There is consideration what you can pick up next time around and not be isolated, and ask, 'What's better for us now and what's better for us in a little while?' "

Modrak was talking about both WR and CB.

Look at who's available "the next time around" in Round 2:

-----Early Doucet WR- LSU 6'0 hvyest - Rams?

-----Malcolm Kelly WR- OK biggest 224, 4.55

-----Mario Manningham WR- Mich 6'0 char issues, drops

-----Andre Caldwell WR- Florida 6'0 4.37 #2nd fastest WR, low Wonderlic

-----Justin King CB-Penn St 4.3 avg tkl, shoulder issues

-----Reggie Smith CB- Okla 4.4, safety exper, KR,PR

-----Charles Godfrey CB- Chris Brown's favorite CB

-----Brandon Flowers CB- Va Tech 5'9" short, good anticipation, char issues

-----Charles Godfrey CB - Iowa Chris Brown Rxed; rising quickly

From the list, the Bills seem to be zeroed in on two CB's, Reggie Smith (who's been to 1 Bills drive for a visit) and Charles Godfrey, who Bills blogger Chris Brown is quite high on. Cason won't be there at #42 either. Doucet and Kelly are likely gone by the Bills' pick if they stay at #42. Manningham and Flowers are not likely due to character issues. Caldwell scored one of the lower Wonderlic scores and his skillset resembles Parrish too much. To me it looks like the CB's (Smiith, Godfrey, and maybe King) will get a close look in Round 2.

With Earl Bennett and Jordy Nelson to get clsoe looks shortly thereafter.

I wonder what the giants CB's looked like? If their numbers were similar to ours then the line is more important.

Im sorry i did not read every post on this thread but i just am a man that get very disappointed after 5 or 4 years when our 1st roubg CB jumps ship to another team. Im all for drafting a CB if he is a franshise CB that we can depend on. All I want is a REDZONE TREAT TE or WR come on LETS SCORE A TDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD