PFW's "The Way We Hear It"

Lurker

This would be a great scenario, IMO:

"Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, New England and the Jets have also already discussed trade scenarios, the way we hear it, and could be very open to moving down. The Bills, in need of a receiver to complement Lee Evans, have never shied from filling their biggest needs early and could wind up drafting one considerably sooner than the first receiver in this year’s draft figures to be drafted. However, with Andy Reid having shown a propensity to trade up, the Bills could have a potential suitor at the precise spot (19th overall) where some decision makers believe the first receiver will be drafted."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the new trade chart that is circulating (not if teams are using it though) if that trade were to happen we would get Philly's 1st and 2nd round picks for our #1 and our early 5th round. That would be pretty close.

They could also give us their picks in round #1, 3, 4, and 5 for our #11. That's unlikely, but the value is again close.

Did any one else notice the comment about Devin Thomas in the link?

Random comments from scout:

"(Michigan State WR) Devin Thomas does not like to get hit. He drops a lot of balls inside. You can see his obvious potential, but he does not get off press (coverage) easily and you can see too many obvious shy-aways. This year’s draft of receivers sucks."

Of course take it for what its worth this time of year. Everyone's spinning.

We trade for Lito Shepard and swap #1's. Here is what is said after that quote in PFW.

"The way we hear it, the Eagles still have some confidence in Winston Justice after he finished the season on a strong note, showing some promise in the final two games. Furthermore, team president Joe Banner does not like to give up on players until they have played at least three years. However, Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan are both among the league's oldest starters at their positions and are expected to have to be replaced in the near future. Should Pittsburgh OT Jeff Otah, who strongly fits the mauling style of linemen sought by Reid, slide into the early teens, sources say that the Eagles could be ready to pounce."

Alot of mock drafts have OT's being selected by the three teams behind us. Philly will use Shepard and our need for a CB to trade up. We can still move down and get a WR. It doesn't sound like we are sold on anyone that high at #11. Would you rather draft a CB at #11 or get a two time pro bowler. If this scenario presents itself I hope we jump.

"This year’s draft of receivers sucks."

Oh yeah that sounds really professional, like a teenager wrote it.

As for trading down...That would be ideal to move down to Philly's #19. But how long has it been since the Bills got the better end of a draft day trade?

How about Lito Shepard and their #1 for our #1. That would give Shepard the value of a 2nd round pick.

I'd be surprised if the Bills were interested in obtaining Shepard after their experience with Darwin Walker last year.

Just like Walker, Shepard wants to "get paid" and the numbers he wants will dwarf anything Walker ever asked for.

Unless somehow, negotiations could take place on a contract with Shepard before the draft as a condition of the deal, I just don't see it happening.

How about Lito Shepard and their #1 for our #1. That would give Shepard the value of a 2nd round pick.

yeah, I've been thinking about this scenario as well, since just about everyone agrees that the primo WRs in this year's draft can wait until late RD 1 or into RD2

my only concern is the perception that he can't stay healthy

I'd be surprised if the Bills were interested in obtaining Shepard after their experience with Darwin Walker last year.

Just like Walker, Shepard wants to "get paid" and the numbers he wants will dwarf anything Walker ever asked for.

Unless somehow, negotiations could take place on a contract with Shepard before the draft as a condition of the deal, I just don't see it happening.

Getting Shepard would take care of one serious need and allow us to draft a WR and TE early. Then we can worry about want position picks in 3 and 4(x2). That scenario is pretty tempting. As for Lito "wanting to get paid" my reply is two fold. First, his contract right now is high, but not unbelievably so, and Buffalo has plenty of room to absorb the hit. In terms of his wanting more money, well, you give him a bit of an increase in guarantees starting in 09 and you put a lot of playing time bonuses in there as well, so that he doesn't make all of that extra money if he is hurt for eight weeks like he was two years ago. There are ways to structure contracts, even expensive ones, so that they don't hurt the team. Plus, that would help with our cap room calculations as well. Signing LE needs to be the top priority in the off season, or during the season, but putting the pieces in place to succeed will help that. Lito Shepard is a heck of a CB and that would pretty much finish our starting line-up on D. This trade makes extremely good sense.

"(Michigan State WR) Devin Thomas does not like to get hit. He drops a lot of balls inside. You can see his obvious potential, but he does not get off press (coverage) easily and you can see too many obvious shy-aways. This year’s draft of receivers sucks."

"We've done our studies and history has said that over time," said Modrak. "All of us have broken ranks on those things. Part of it is picking 11th, a point where there's enough guys coming off the board that it's not slam dunk wherever you're going. There is consideration what you can pick up next time around and not be isolated, and ask, 'What's better for us now and what's better for us in a little while?'"

This, plus Modrak's comments about the CB's can get very average very quickly leads me to think we're going CB first and WR soon after--either pulling a Poz (moving up in RD#2 to get Hardy) or pulling a McCargo (sacrificing later picks).

Agreed. draft picks are much easier to sign and a helluva lot cheaper

"We've done our studies and history has said that over time," said Modrak. "All of us have broken ranks on those things. Part of it is picking 11th, a point where there's enough guys coming off the board that it's not slam dunk wherever you're going. There is consideration what you can pick up next time around and not be isolated, and ask, 'What's better for us now and what's better for us in a little while?'"

This, plus Modrak's comments about the CB's can get very average very quickly leads me to think we're going CB first and WR soon after--either pulling a Poz (moving up in RD#2 to get Hardy) or pulling a McCargo (sacrificing later picks).

I think they rate CB higher than most do on this board. (including me, as I tend to prefer building both lines)

If last years reports are true, the Bills first round choice came down to taking either Lynch or Revis.

Nothing dramatically has changed in our CB situation since that draft, so I'm thinking the faction that wanted Revis last year might get their athletic, dynamic CB this year.

Im sure we can go through every single draft pick and pick a weakness that they have......part of the game noone is perfect. Just ask the Pats....

Sounds like a Connor/ Doucet scenario to me...

This would be a great scenario, IMO:

"Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, New England and the Jets have also already discussed trade scenarios, the way we hear it, and could be very open to moving down. The Bills, in need of a receiver to complement Lee Evans, have never shied from filling their biggest needs early and could wind up drafting one considerably sooner than the first receiver in this year’s draft figures to be drafted. However, with Andy Reid having shown a propensity to trade up, the Bills could have a potential suitor at the precise spot (19th overall) where some decision makers believe the first receiver will be drafted."

Curious to see who else the Eagles would offer besides their pick. 2 options I see. Either their 2nd round pick or Lito Sheppard but they would need to sign him.