Personal message to Brad Riter

AFTER HE MOVED HERE

Mike Schopp

WNSA - Talk Show Host

Mike Schopp arrived back home, in Western New York, the Fall of 2000 primed to be one of the most versatile and talented broadcasters in the market. The Grand Island native has used an array of sports and life experiences to become one of the most trusted voices in afternoon sports-talk radio.

As the host of the 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. shift on "Western New York's Sports Authority", Schopp has quickly won the hearts and minds of the area sports enthusiasts with his extensive sports knowledge and quick wit. Fans have turned to Schopp for his amazing recall on current and former Bills, Sabres, Bisons and Bandits teams.

After graduating from St. John Fisher College with a Communications/Journalism degree in 1993, Schopp embarked on a media career by covering high school and college sports for the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. He quickly rose through the ranks at the "Flower City" daily and landed a position as a feature writer for the Living section, reporting primarily on dating and relationships.

Schopp maintained more than a casual interest in sports and in 1995 started working part-time in radio. He spent time behind the mic as a play-by-play broadcaster for Rochester Red Wings baseball (1995), Americans hockey (1996-97), Knighthawks lacrosse (1997) and Buffalo Blizzard soccer (1997-99). In March of 1998, the Grand Island native was hired as morning sports anchor at WHAM-AM (1180), the top-rated radio station in Rochester. A year later he was awarded his own program the "Mike Schopp Show" on WHAM's sister station WHTK-AM (1280).

ADD: http://web.archive.org/web/20010815024955/...sonalities.html

(Just so y'all don't think I'm making this up...)

Brad's another stuttering boob.

I have listened to Brad Riter hundreds of time and have never heard him stutter.

Brad,

Get back to GR and steel that damned truth detector back. But leave that damn talking computer thing (Lamar) there.

By the way, I think I was your first email to the new address on the first night of the new show. I listen a few nights a week again while walking the pooch.

I just wish you were on til 10....

Great show, welcome back.

• 1 month later...
U.B. Bulls Football and Basketball will now be broadcast on WECK

Brad also said they will have live streaming in two months.

That's terrific news. Although now that means Schoop and Bulldog will start bashing UB sports. Will Howard Simon continue as the voice of UB Football?

PTR

That's terrific news. Although now that means Schoop and Bulldog will start bashing UB sports. Will Howard Simon continue as the voice of UB Football?

PTR

I like having my name in a thread title (even if it's spelled incorrectly.) Whenever it shows up near the top, I know to open it up and take a look.

Here's Pergament's article...

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/352164.html

WECK to broadcast UB football, basketball games

Updated: 05/21/08 3:51 PM

The University at Buffalo football and basketball teams will be carried by a new radio partner next season.

During "The Brad Riter Show" tonight, WECK-AM is expected to announce it will carry UB's games in both sports.

The football games had been broadcast on WGR-AM for the past several years and the basketball team had been carried on WWKB-AM. Both stations are owned by Entercom Communications.

The football team's move to WECK means a new announcing team will be hired to replace play-by-play man Howard Simon and analyst Brian Koziol, since both work for WGR.

Josh Whetzel and Pete Lonergan are expected to continue on UB basketball broadcasts.

-- Alan Pergament

And here's the official press release...

BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo Division of Athletics announced today a two-year agreement with WECK (1230 AM) and WLVL (1340 AM) to air Bulls' athletic events, including Buffalo's football and men's and women's basketball programs and select other UB events. The deal places all of UB's sports on the same family of locally-owned stations for the first time in its Division I-A era (1999-present).

“We are delighted to be working with a pair of stations that are extremely focused on the great things happening in Western New York and who are excited to engage in a partnership that will be beneficial to both parties,” said Director of Athletics Warde Manuel. “From the beginning of our discussions with WECK and WLVL it was clear that they had a real desire to be our flagship stations, and I am confident that they will give us the kind of coverage that our fans and alumni will appreciate."

WECK (1230 AM) is one of Buffalo's oldest and most recognized stations and has recently changed formats to a news and sports talk lineup that features many familiar voices to Buffalo radio, including sports show host Brad Riter. Riter will anchor call-in shows featuring UB coaches Turner Gill and Reggie Witherspoon during their respective seasons while other Bulls' coaches and student-athletes will be regulars as well. All UB games will be webstreamed for free on WECK and WLVL's online sites in addition to the Bulls' home at www.buffalobulls.com.

The Buffalo women's basketball program will again make sister station, WLVL (1340 AM) its home but will also see a minimum of five games aired on WECK as well. Those games as well as play-by-play and analyst teams for UB's programs will be announced at a later date.

“From the moment we first thought of adding the Erie County coverage of WECK to the Niagara County coverage of WLVL, we wanted to pursue UB Athletics for our programming lineups,” said WECK Operations Manager Tom Schuh. “We are extremely proud to now be the flagship stations for UB football and basketball. These Division 1-A programs are already major players in the Buffalo sports market, and we look forward to contributing to their continued growth and exposure to Western New York’s passionate sports fans.”

U.B. Bulls Football and Basketball will now be broadcast on WECK

Brad also said they will have live streaming in two months.

Really? That's big. Congrats on that, Brad, even if I did enjoy Howard's play-by-play. Thumbs up on the webcast, too.

I can fix the title, but then the Promo-bashing earlier in the thread won't make sense. Decisions, decisions...

Really? That's big. Congrats on that, Brad, even if I did enjoy Howard's play-by-play. Thumbs up on the webcast, too.

I can fix the title, but then the Promo-bashing earlier in the thread won't make sense. Decisions, decisions...

Easy choice... leave it alone.

Here's what I was told about streaming... could be up as soon as a month from now, conservatively 2 months. Bottom line, it's in the contract for the UB broadcasts so it HAS TO be there by football season.

Easy choice... leave it alone.

Here's what I was told about streaming... could be up as soon as a month from now, conservatively 2 months. Bottom line, it's in the contract for the UB broadcasts so it HAS TO be there by football season.

That is great to hear. I can finally listen to Buffalo Sports without the same old BS. Man I wish WGR would fold. Anyway congrats Brad and will be listening to you online when the time comes.

Brad when Ruben Brown decides to hang it up you need to get him on your station as a mainstay. I am listening to the draft coverage for the first time and love it. He' has a great personality and is a true Bills fan! ;)

That would be great! Especially if you had that nights show (or previous nightsfor that matter) online. As it stands right now, I'm at work when your show is on, and on lunch when you go off the air. So I can't listen :lol:.

Oh well, still good that you're back.

AHHH .. Brad's answer to the WGR whiner line, "The Beef" on WECK.

How did I miss this the first time through? That's friggin' brilliant.