Drafting players to replace our starters is wearing thin.

Yah and this post makes me laugh....no different than the rest of your anti Trent crusades..... :rolleyes:

Go Bills!

He may well be an anti Trent crusader but that does not diminish what he says.....if what he says has merit.

The QB position is no where near solidified. I(like most) am hopeful that TE will become a great QB but at this point he is just another 2nd year player who has shown promise in his rookie season. Until he becomes a solid NFL performer I can't see how we can count the QB position as solidified.

Thanks Steely for the backup.

One more thing Tipster.. it is the nature of NFL teams to change year to year. Things like old age, injuries and free agency have done that. Otherwise, you might as well start making posts complaining that we ever replaced Shane Conlan and Kent Hull. They were perfectly good players, why did we replace them?

:rolleyes:

What's up w/ the fascination for 'continuity' as if it's some kind of magic bullet?

Sticking w/ average players, not replacing guys until they're 35 or having an insurance policy for injury... That's the ticket to prime time, baby!

Newsflash: the average NFL career is less than 2 years. Turnover happens. It's a fact in the NFL and people who don't operate in recognition of this get steamrolled. Wake up from your dream world. The current FO is trying to put things together (and is doing a pretty good job of it, I think) but at this time of year fans have nothing better to do than pee in the corn flakes.

:thumbsup:

Did you have a bad experience at a restaurant with your Corn Flakes? :)

Thanks Steely for the backup.

One more thing Tipster.. it is the nature of NFL teams to change year to year. Thinks like old age, injuries and free agency have done that. Otherwise, you might as well start making posts that we ever replaced Shane Conlan and Kent Hull. They were perfectly good players, why did we replace them?

BTW, you're welcome.

The new FO's strategy, and rightly so IMO, is to bring in young guys that are just starting out or on the cusp of peaking in their careers. They won't overpay for anyone and they don't like guys who are on the decline. I believe Levy once said he'd rather cut a guy a year too early than a year too late.

When you look at Mitchell, Stroud, Johnson and James they got very good value for the money they spent on those guys. This FO seems to know what they're doing. Unfortunately for the past two years they've been cleaning up Donahoe's mess.

He may well be an anti Trent crusader but that does not diminish what he says.....if what he says has merit.

The QB position is no where near solidified. I(like most) am hopeful that TE will become a great QB but at this point he is just another 2nd year player who has shown promise in his rookie season. Until he becomes a solid NFL performer I can't see how we can count the QB position as solidified.

So should we use a early pick to draft another QB?

You know, I was thinking the Bills should look at Colt Brennan. He's is considered first round talent but is out for the season with injury if I remember. So the idea is we can get in the 6th or 7th. Put him on IR while JP plays out the contract and we see if Trent can play in this league. Then He'll be ready to go next year.

You know, I was thinking the Bills should look at Colt Brennan. He's is considered first round talent but is out for the season with injury if I remember. So the idea is we can get in the 6th or 7th. Put him on IR while JP plays out the contract and we see if Trent can play in this league. Then He'll be ready to go next year.

Yah I think he is going to have hip surgery.....he's pretty raw but for a 6th or 7th who knows..

Go Bills!

Strange response to what I wrote but.....no....we shouldn't(for many reasons) though if the right guy was there in the 3rd I wouldn't object. This has nothing to do with what my hopes are for TE and everything to do with the importance of finding at least a solid starter at the QB position.

Strange response to what I wrote but.....no....we shouldn't(for many reasons) though if the right guy was there in the 3rd I wouldn't object. This has nothing to do with what my hopes are for TE and everything to do with the importance of finding at least a solid starter at the QB position.

Not sure why you think that was such a strange response considering the topic of this thread? What I am saying is if Trent is the starter and they are sure enough in his abilities to not use a early pick for another QB, then are we not solidified in the QB position? (Don't forget we have the great JP Losman as our backup)

Go Bills

Not sure why you think that was such a strange response considering the topic of this thread? What I am saying is if Trent is the starter and they are sure enough in his abilities to not use a early pick for another QB, then are we not solidified in the QB position? (Don't forget we have the great JP Losman as our backup)

Go Bills

Does solidified = committed to a player due to circumstance/potential?

or

does solidified = have obtained a quality solid player at the position?

IMO it is the second one.

Saying a position is solidified means that they have someone proven at the position (Edwards is not proven yet), and that the position does not require a change

No one was taking a shot at Edwards, they were just saying its a little early to call the spot "solidified". Edwards has not proven he will be a top level Qb that will be behind centre for years. Thats not saying the Bills should run out and improve the position right now, because the QB position is still a question mark right now. It may become solidified if Edwards does become a top level player, but right now he is just a second year player with potential and flashing signs of being good.

I agree. If the right guy is there at RD3 #72, you could pick one there (71Andre Woodson, 77Josh Johnson) or wait until RD6 #170 (162Kevin O'Connell, 176Dennis Dixon). With Trent-JP-Hamdan, I'd be comfortable waiting until RD6 and taking even the injured Dixon.

QB: Bledsoe > Losman > Holcomb > Losman > Edwards (Solidified)

HB: Henry > McGahee > Lynch (Solidified)

WR: Moulds > Price> Not solidified. Reed/Parrish have been set

FB: Shelton > H-Back > Barnes (not solidified)

TE: Campbell/Neufeld > Royal/Gaines (hmm...)

OL: Haha... oh the joy of how long that would be to type... and I find it solidified yet people want to ruin a good thing.

DE: No changes here, and solidified, but again, people want to change a good thing.

DT: Oh what a tangled web... Williams/Adams > Tripplett/Anderson > Tripplett/Williams > Stroud/McCargo. (Solidified)

LB: Spikes/Fletcher/Posey > Spikes/Fletcher/Crowell > Ellison/DiGiorgio/Crowell > Mitchell/Posluszny/Crowell (Solidified, but again, people want to change that...)

CB: Clements/McGee > Clements/Greer (Could change)

S: Milloy/Vincent > Whitner/Simpson (Should be set, but people don't like Simpson cause he was hurt)

I think that WR/CB are the only things that'll get switched up now. Young team, no need for big changes.

The QB spot is not solidified just yet, its not a need, but its far from solidified just yet.

I wouldn't say the DT position is solidifed either, just yet, we don't know what Stroud we are getting, and if he will be the same player he was before his injury, and if McCargo is the real deal. Its not a need to upgrade right now, but I wouldn't call it solidified just yet

Most of the positions are not big concerns right now, but there aren't many spots that could be called solidified just yet.

Unless you mean by calling them solidified in that the Bills have this years starters already and the roster will not change in those spots to start the year, then yes I would agree, but I would use the term solidified

As for the initial post.

- Bledsoe was brought inas a stop gap, someone to take over the spot for now, so they could win now. JP was drafted because Bledsoe was not the long term answer, not because they had already given up on Drew. They needed a QB of the future, Bledsoe was only brought in to be the QB of the present, until their QB of the future was ready, he was a place holder

- As for the RB spot, McGahee was not brought in to replace Henry (who until Willis was brought in was a tough player, but had problems with holding onto the ball), he was brought in to form a tandem, and to give the Bills a power running game. He was a #1 overall pick until his injury, and if it went according to plan, the Bills would have had one of the best running games, something most say they need to play in the weather in Buffalo. The problem was, Henry took it as an insult that they would bring in someone else and said it would have to be one or the other. Henry lost, and Willis afterwards didn't give it 100% every game and disapointed. What they wanted to do back then is what most want them to do now with Lynch/Jackson.

- They aren't trying to replace Evans, they need someone to compliment him and take away the pressure on him as a #2. But you don't go into a draft only hoping to find someone to play a smaller role. If they can get someone that can fill that role as a #2 and then eventually maybe take over the #1 spot, all the better