Limas Sweed

TAKING LIMAS SWEED AT 11 IS FINE BY ME.. WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TEAM IS SIMPLE .IMPACT!!..after all we took donte at 9

he was productive thruout his carreer till injured ...,he is healthy and reported to be fully healed from his wrist ..last year many had him rated top 10 till he decided to stay in school

he is by far a more refined receiver than Kelly or Thomas. any team has to respect his deep routes adding him to the receiving group would be a huge addition,

I exspect to see Parrish and Reed share the slot,, put Evans and Sweed outside.. only thing to add then is that tight end threat..(see .. Martellus Bennet), that'd be one heck of a bunch of downfield weapons to go with Marshawn and company

that being said I would not be surprised to see Brandon Albert,or Ryan Clady. I just dont want to see a cb at 1 ,,the level of competition that the top ones rated played in ,IMO dont warrant that high of selection.

the criticism I have heard of sweed is that he cannot or is afraid to go over the middle and watching that first highlight reel it seems like there may be something to that... anybody know if there is any truth to this?? I love the guy but everytime I try to talk about him my buddy at work always brings this up

From Scouts Inc. The latest on his injury is that it's not a concern at all and should be

the criticism I have heard of sweed is that he cannot or is afraid to go over the middle and watching that first highlight reel it seems like there may be something to that... anybody know if there is any truth to this?? I love the guy but everytime I try to talk about him my buddy at work always brings this up

Strengths: Possesses rare size for a wide receiver. He's tall, well built and extremely fluid for his size. Instinctive route runner; finding soft spots in zone comes very naturally to him. He does an excellent job of finding the ball over his shoulder and adjusting to the deep ball. Displays soft hands and very good concentration. Knows how to use his body to shield defenders and uses his upper body subtly to gain separation from defenders when the ball is in the air (see: TD vs. Oklahoma in 2006). Very difficult to defend one-on-one inside the red zone. Displays good leaping ability, long arms and big, strong hands to challenge for the jump ball. Supremely confident in his ability. Shows good body control along the sideline. He has good quickness and change-of-direction skills for his size. He will consistently make the first defender miss after the catch and he also shows the ability to make sharp cuts in the open field after the catch. Very competitive and hard working player.

Weaknesses: Still has room to improve in terms of consistency as a route runner. Not as sudden in-and-out of breaks as you would like to see from an elite receiver. He's fluid with very good top-end speed for his size but he lacks ideal initial burst. Durability specifically his wrist is now a significant concern. .

Overall: Sweed was redshirted in 2003. In his next three seasons at Texas (2004-'06), he appeared in 37 games (33 consecutive starts) and hauled in a combined 105 receptions for 1,609 yards (15.3 average) and 17 touchdowns. As a senior, he started in the Longhorns' first six games but was hindered by a wrist injury that had bothered him since spring workouts. He had 19 receptions for 306 yards (16.1 average) and three touchdowns in 2007 before undergoing season-ending surgery. He participated in practice early during Senior Bowl week only to re-aggravate the injury. Sweed suffered the wrist injury during summer camp and attempted to play through the pain. He simply wasn't the same player during those six games in 2007, which is why the majority of our evaluation is based off his junior tape in 2006. When healthy, Sweed has everything NFL teams look for in a No. 1 receiver, including tremendous athleticism for his size and very soft hands. Lingering concerns regarding his wrist injury as a senior could scare some teams in the top-15 away. Still, Sweed is the most talented all-around receiver in the 2008 class when he's at full strength, which is why we anticipate him being selected later in the first round.

A draft profile of Sweed.

As Sweed prepares for the Longhorns’ Pro Day, which takes place Wednesday, he feels his wrist is close to a full recovery.

That wasn’t the case before January’s Senior Bowl, where the standout prospect suffered a scare when LSU linebacker Chevis Jackson grabbed Sweed’s wrist in a routine practice.

Sweed eventually saw it as a blessing.

“It was one-on-ones, and a guy came and grabbed my hand and bent it down to about 70 percent when it wasn’t ready to, so you can imagine the pain. That was Day One,” he said at the NFL Combine. “So. I came back for Day Two and was thinking it wouldn’t happen again, but the same guy did it again. And that was when I decided it was time to shut it down.

“It wasn’t a re-injury, it was just a breaking up of the scar tissue, which actually helped me recover quicker – so I want to really thank the guy.”

Another article.

Before his career would come to a close, Sweed etched his name into the Longhorns' record books. The two-time All-Big 12 selection ranks second in school history with 20 touchdown catches. While starting 39 consecutive games, he totaled 1,915 yards receiving, the fifth-best season total in Texas history. He also hauled in 124 passes, good for sixth place on UT's all-time record list.

Another article

3. Limas Sweed, Texas: "I'd rather have Sweed than [Malcolm] Kelly," said a longtime receivers coach. "Kelly is a little more natural, but he has to make a lot of contested catches because he can't get separation. Sweed does a better job of getting down the field, and I think he can be pretty explosive. Running a 4.5 is pretty strong for a 6-4 kid. I know a lot of people are worried about the wrist, but our guys think he'll be fine.

I can't find a single thing about him being afraid to go over the middle. In fact Lindy's draft guide says; Route Running: Smooth into his routes and will get physical.....

Doesn't sound like someone afraid to go over the middle.

I can't find a single thing about him being afraid to go over the middle. In fact Lindy's draft guide says; Route Running: Smooth into his routes and will get physical.....

Doesn't sound like someone afraid to go over the middle.

ok, you're probably right... the guy who i got this info from is sort of a bozo now that i think about it