Draft Strategy based on Current Events

marck

Based on what has transpired with the slow time run by Malcolm Kelly I wanted to provide what I see as the most viable draft strategy. This will also take into consideration the suspension of Mario Haggens for the 1st 4 games of 2008.

The Bills should strongly pursue a trade with the Eagles to move down from 11 to 19 for the rights to Cornerback Lito Sheppard. At 19 we should still have our choice of the 1st receiver taken and would draft as follows:

1st Round @ 19 - Devin Thomas - WR - Michigan State

2nd Round @ 41 - Dre Moore - DT - Maryland

3rd Round @ 72 - Brad Cottam - TE - Tennessee

4th Round @ 114 - Shawn Crabel - OLB - Michigan

4th Round @ 132 - Beau Bell - LB - UNLV

5th Round @ 147 - Payton Hills - FB - Arkansas

6th Round @ 179 - Chaz Chillens - WR - San Diego State

7th Round @ 219 - Brannon Carvalho - OG - Portland State

7th Round @ 224 - Jamie Silva - S - Boston College

7th Round @ 251 - Some corner prospect that can also play ST

All of these players along with Lito Sheppard can greatly improve our team in 2008.

Looking forward to seeing your feedback on this draft.

Based on what has transpired with the slow time run by Malcolm Kelly I wanted to provide what I see as the most viable draft strategy. This will also take into consideration the suspension of Mario Haggens for the 1st 4 games of 2008.

The Bills should strongly pursue a trade with the Eagles to move down from 11 to 19 for the rights to Cornerback Lito Sheppard. At 19 we should still have our choice of the 1st receiver taken and would draft as follows:

1st Round @ 19 - Devin Thomas - WR - Michigan State

2nd Round @ 41 - Dre Moore - DT - Maryland

3rd Round @ 72 - Brad Cottam - TE - Tennessee

4th Round @ 114 - Shawn Crabel - OLB - Michigan

4th Round @ 132 - Beau Bell - LB - UNLV

5th Round @ 147 - Payton Hills - FB - Arkansas

6th Round @ 179 - Chaz Chillens - WR - San Diego State

7th Round @ 219 - Brannon Carvalho - OG - Portland State

7th Round @ 224 - Jamie Silva - S - Boston College

7th Round @ 251 - Some corner prospect that can also play ST

All of these players along with Lito Sheppard can greatly improve our team in 2008.

Looking forward to seeing your feedback on this draft.

I heard from a reliable source that some corner prospect might go in the third round.

Just wanted to let you know that your feedback was very well thought out - Try understanding football, team needs and available players at different points in the draft you moron.

I heard from a reliable source that some corner prospect might go in the third round.

Just wanted to let you know that your feedback was very well thought out - Try understanding football, team needs and available players at different points in the draft you moron.

Calm Down Francis, are your panties tied in such a knot that a little humor poked at your mock sets you off. I did not blast you or any of your picks, just a little play on words because I am almost 100% sure that some CB prospect will go in the third round.

It's just a problem that I have with posters on this site. If you know nothing about football or have a lack of knowledge to a serious post its truly better to not write anything. Just saves clutter from screwing up a football related topic.

Calm Down Francis, are your panties tied in such a knot that a little humor poked at your mock sets you off. I did not blast you or any of your picks, just a little play on words because I am almost 100% sure that some CB prospect will go in the third round.

I like the idea of getting a proven CB, but I doubt that Shepherd is some one they would strongly consider. First of all, I think he wants a new contract, or will want a new contract soon. The FO didn't pay Clements (and I don't think they should have), who is about as good a player as Shepherd, so why would they pay this guy? Secondly, he is a classic man cover corner. He played very well in the Eagles blitz-happy system with the QBs getting a lot of pressure and him being left on an island most of the time. There are a few problems with this. Shepherd seems (in the limited time I've watched and from what I've read) like he's decent against the run and as a tackler, but really shines in coverage. CBs get paid a lot of money when they are good in coverage. We play in a defense that does not emphasize one-on-one situations where man cover corners really excel. We do need good and talented CBs, but we do not need the prototypical cover-corner (i.e. tall, fluid, athletic, fast). We need a guy who can tackle like a LB and play physical at the line. We can sacrafice speed in that position for more toughness. Lito just doesn't strike me as that guy. I love the trade-down idea, but would probably do it for a 2nd rounder instead of Lito.

I like your mock Mark.

Careful there, one slip while typing and you two will have to move to Mass.

Regarding Shepard--how old is he? Any major injury concerns? I know I could look those two things up, but since it's been proposed I figure that marck has the info at hand.

I can't see us going DT on day one with Stroud & Johson onboard....Mcargo & Williams.... that's a good interior right there.... might take one later in the draft for development but not on day one.....

Despite Jabari Greer's rise, CB is one of the most injury prone positions so I think our need to get a starter is much stronger than DT or even OLB and I doubt we would take two LBs, more likely we sign a vet than two project for reserves (unless they are STers)

ON Day one CB and WR will be taken care of, but there are a few other players we may take if they are available at our pick that would break this strategy... trades would also changes things a lot.

TE and QB are next biggest needs... I can see us using a 4th on a qb... depending on who/what/when...