Ralph Wilson replaced as #1 cheapskate

It's a fallacy to believe an agent would allow a team to short both he and his player millions of dollars just because they were late in getting their pick to the podium.

Case in point: Minnesota was set to select 7th in 2003 but failed to get their pick delivered on time. (EDIT: MIN selected DT Kevin Williams) Two teams (Jacksonville and Carolina) rushed their picks up and ended up getting to pick before the Vikings got their sh** together.

At contract negotiation time, Williams' agent demanded 7th overall pick money, and ended up getting it. The strategy didn't work then, and it's probably not going to work now for any team.

it seems that the Miami Dolphins have taken the title. they don't want to fork out the signing bonus for the #1 pick in the NFL. so they step in whenever they want to in order to pay less for the guy they want.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...lphins/home.htm

I really don't like the idea of keeping a top 5 pick.

Let some other team pay out a huge contract to an unproven player.

I'd rather trade and have extra picks.

he runs Polian out of town because he spoke the truth. he overpays for players that were over the hill after the Super Bowl runs. publicly points the finger at Butler for the team going downhill when he was just as at fault. hires Donna Ho to try and fix it by pennypinching it with HC's that have no experience as a HC. the inmates start running the asylum and are there to cash a check. then he brings back a former HC to run his team, with ZERO experience, to turn it around. i'm willing to bet he got a hometown discount with Levy too. in return, he has the trust to take hand in overspending the Old Fart's money and now the Bills are stuck with outrageous contracts to players who haven't played up to what they earn. the Bills have a HC who numerous Bills fans don't really care for. did i mention that we haven't been in the playoff for nearly a decade?

yeah....the last 20 years or so amount to as many Super Bowls the Bills have won........ZERO!!!!!!!!

Yup, those are all the tell-tale signs of a cheapskate, overpaying, overspending, and outrageous contracts

And as for the HC comment at the end, do you think the team really cares if some of the fans don't really care for their choice of HC? Wasn't it Marv that said "If you listen to the fans when making your decisions, you end up joining them soon enough" (or something close to that)?

Also, by the time the Fins are good again, the #1 selection will have been beaten up and nearing the end of his rookie contract. It's good budgeting, if they can turn the pick into 2-3 other guys who can help keep the lights on while they rebuild.

They're talking about waiting to pick, not trading.

And as for the HC comment at the end, do you think the team really cares if some of the fans don't really care for their choice of HC? Wasn't it Marv that said "If you listen to the fans when making your decisions, you end up joining them soon enough" (or something close to that)?

I believe it was if you listen to the fans you end up sitting with them

You can't blame anybody/any team for not wanting to shell out the big bucks to a rookie. They haven't proved anything, and more often than not first rounders bust/don't live up to the hype/potential.

Unproven rookies getting $30 million in guarantees. That's pure insanity.

Not that it will happen, but the next CBA should drastically reduce the money these rookies get. And take that money and increase the salaries of the good, proven, stars.

For example: I hate the Browns, but I feel bad for them because they shelled out TONS of cash to top pick guys like Tim Couch and Courtney Brown who were absolutle busts.

It's funny how it works, a player becomes great and cries for a new contract, and the teams have to pay up, but when a guy busts he doesn't give any money back. It's the furthest thing from a two-way street.

It's madness!