NFL Owners Considering Life Without a Salary Cap

Nothing definitive in this article....but if nothing puts an end to the Bills in Buffalo, this would most certainly be the end.

-- NFL Owners Considering Life Without a Salary Cap --

Tue Apr 8, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

The Sports Business Journal reports NFL owners could be actually considering life without a salary cap. Facing labor uncertainty and rising costs, league officials and owners claim for the first time in nearly two decades to be thinking about such a scenario. Long the foundation for the NFL's economic and popular growth, the salary cap is still the business system the league prefers, even if the union, as it maintains, does not. But while the cap was considered sacred in the past, now some owners, and even Commissioner Roger Goodell, are publicly leaving open the possibility of a future without a cap. "Analysis that we are going through right now indicates that it is difficult for our clubs to stay up with what we have to pay the players," Goodell told reporters last week at the league's annual meeting in Palm Beach, Fla. "There are a lot of owners that aren't concerned about an uncapped season from that standpoint because the salary cap is so high right now. "We will continue to look and make sure we can find a system that works, and my presumption is that there may be some kind of salary cap, there may not be," he added. The league also has a salary floor that is at least 85 percent of the cap. John York, the San Francisco 49ers owners, called a cap "not absolutely necessary," though like Goodell, he prefaced his comment by saying he preferred one.

I don't think it really even matters anymore. At the rate it has been expanding, the cap will probably be pushing $200 million in five years. The better idea might be to allow teams to either sign rookies a year or two longer, or extend restricted free agency into the 4th or 5th season.

Nothing definitive in this article....but if nothing puts an end to the Bills in Buffalo, this would most certainly be the end.

It is a soft cap now anyways, where teams with alot of cash flow could easily get around spending over the cap by paying out huge bonuses & amortizing them over several years. They way the cap has been increasing every year, they might as well not even have a cap.

As long as restricted free agancy and free agency are revamped, the lower budget teams may actually be fine. The uncapped year that everyone is going nuts about has a more restrictive set of rules for free agency. Players would need 6 years with a club before they are unrestricted instead of 4 I believe. Making it easier to keep a player for a longer time before competeing with free spending clubs would be huge.

As long as restricted free agancy and free agency are revamped, the lower budget teams may actually be fine. The uncapped year that everyone is going nuts about has a more restrictive set of rules for free agency. Players would need 6 years with a club before they are unrestricted instead of 4 I believe. Making it easier to keep a player for a longer time before competeing with free spending clubs would be huge.

That was part of the previous CBA. Most likely still applies. I'm betting a lot of players would not like this.

The un-capped year seems to be blown out of proportion. I think Peter King had a few paragraphs about it in MMQB this week. He also said that the top 8 teams that year would only be allowed to enter the free agent market after players from their team were signed and they could only signother players for the total dollar value that their own players were signed for by other teams. Teams would also have the ability to franchise one player and transition tag two players.