A true blue Bills Player

I am curious what everyone thinks CHARACTER is worth? Talent is obviously worth quite a lot, and unteachables like speed, genetics play a significant role in the value of a player, but just how much is his character worth? High character guys can be an asset to the locker room and are the players that often by their determination and will can change the momentum of a game going badly and turn things around. They also often have a calming effect on young immature personalities around them, shaping those talented players mindsets.

I am curious what everyone thinks CHARACTER is worth? Talent is obviously worth quite a lot, and unteachables like speed, genetics play a significant role in the value of a player, but just how much is his character worth? High character guys can be an asset to the locker room and are the players that often by their determination and will can change the momentum of a game going badly and turn things around. They also often have a calming effect on young immature personalities around them, shaping those talented players mindsets.

Character for me is what you do when no one is watching. For example do you put in extra time in the weight room, stay after practice running routes, catching balls, just because? If you didnt play as well as you hoped do you just forget, be complacent and move on? or are you willing to put in the work to get better?

Ill take the player who puts in the work everytime. Which is why i loved JP. No one has ever questioned his work ethic

But my point is what is it worth? Would you rather have a team of all high characters and very few high talents or all high talents and few high characters.... a lot or few? Do you pay a guy like a talent for his character? (If you don't what does it say about your organization? )

But my point is what is it worth? Would you rather have a team of all high characters and very few high talents or all high talents and few high characters.... a lot or few? Do you pay a guy like a talent for his character? (If you don't what does it say about your organization? )

Maybe you work a bit harder to keep a quality player who also displays high character.

We do have a bunch of good guys on this team. Last year that translated into full effort, though not enough wins, even though the team was decimated by injuries.

Why can't A player have BOTH high character AND high talent? I agree with Marv, talent without character will not win.

I like this topic, good post.

Character is so important for many reasons;

1. The NFL is cracking down on bad behaviour... big time. What good is a player who can't even play because he is suspended?

2. Team guys contribute to great success because they put the team first and know that no one player is bigger/more important than the team.

3. High character guys aren't distractions/locker room cancers.

4. Players wanna play with high character guys.

I personally think character is more important than ever these days.

Some high character players in this draft whose stock will be higher for the Bills:

Joey Haynos - MD a 7th Rounder TE who is tall (6'8"), good size (265), and who's a big family man. His whole family will be at every Bills game next year.

Jamar Adams, Michigan Strong Safety likely to go in Round 5. Brian Vornberg says: "This is one of my favorite sleepers in the draft. After a couple years of mediocrity, Adams finally, finally, finally lived up to the hype that came with him out of high school. He racked up 92 tackles this year along with 10 PBUs. Adams will test off the charts with his 6'2" and 210 lbs. frame and 4.5 speed, but his best attribute is his sure-tackling, football IQ and character. As a safety, it is important to embody leadership qualities and good character off the field and Adams truly does that."

Chase Ortiz, the TCU Round 7 DE - non-stop motor, relentless drive to succeed, consummate learner. The better value between him and Tommy Blake.

Keilen Dykes - DT about Round 6 has the enthusiasm, smarts, and skill. All Big East at West Virginia.

Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt WR for Round 3 - Good size and strength, has the knack to run great routes and often beat his coverage. Has excellent hands, as well. Character and leadership qualities a big plus for Bennett.

Jamie Silva, -SS for Boston College, might be a value pick in the 6th Round. He had 115 tackles, was a Special Teams demon, and was a Thorpe ward finalist, which is the Character Heisman.

You want both. Its a factor. You win with talent but can lose w/ low character. Some intangibles are worth money (pay) but talent w/o character is potentially harmful to team unity which is what makes a team click & maybe play above their particular talent level. That said - be cautious & draft high talent w/ few character issues!

Character is worth everything to me! This is a game of extreme violence, and it occurs to me that it is more likely to spill out into the mainstream "real world" from players who are questionable in the character measures that are needed. Bryant McKinnie is a quality OLT, but the issues attached makes him a tradable comodity to a team like Miami, where I am sure Bill Parcells believes he can "cure what ails him". I also think that the teams most likely to "take on" the bad boys are the usual culprits.... Dallas, Oakland, and to a lesser extent New England come to my mind. Some teams take these guys ENTIRELY off their draft boards each April, and I applaud them for just that stance!!