NFL opener might start early to open hole for GOP convention

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10740035

The NFL is considering starting its Thursday night season opener an hour-and-a-half earlier to avoid clashing with the Republican National Convention.

The game, in which the Super Bowl-champion New York Giants will be the home team, now is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. EDT on Sept. 4 and will be televised by NBC. League spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday that the NFL is talking with the network about changing the game's starting time to 7 p.m.

Damn politicians are ruining our football season!

The highlight games of the NFL's first weekend, including the Giants' opponent for the opener, will be announced Monday during league meetings in Palm Beach, Fla. The rest of the schedule will be announced later next month.

By that point I'll have to specify rest of my time off. Get it done before the draft people. It should not take thisl long.

:thumbsup:

Yay. I'd sooner watch the game instead of the convention, since there isn't exactly any suspense about who they'll nominate.

If past practice holds true, the full schedule should be out by mid-April. Hope so, since I'm in the same boat, Glenn.

:thumbsup:

Yay. I'd sooner watch the game instead of the convention, since there isn't exactly any suspense about who they'll nominate.

If past practice holds true, the full schedule should be out by mid-April. Hope so, since I'm in the same boat, Glenn.

thought it was April 3rd? no?

thought it was April 3rd? no?

That's when the spring meetings end, although I'm not sure I've seen an actual date on the schedule release. The NFL Network listings don't give anything away, but they only go up to the 6th as of now.

ADD: Ah, sourced from PFT. That explains why I didn't see it. :thumbsup:

Their information seems to be erroneous, because the current schedule for the 3rd lists the following at 4:30:

IN THEIR OWN WORDS Get up close and personal with today's most successful and intriguing coaches and players with In Their Own Words. Each one-hour episode gives fans unprecedented access to an NFL legend as he reveals his intensity, humor, competitiveness and humanity in his own words. The series uses rare interviews, archival action footage and exclusive sound captured on the field, on the sidelines and in the locker room. Tonight's episode: Terrell Owens.

The schedule is usually at least a week after the spring meeting ends, but still before the draft, from what I can recall off the top of my head.

Definitely well before the draft. I think Jay put up the tailgate ticket thread on the 8th last year?