Sports Illustrated Old Issues - NFL 2000 as seen in 1979

SI 1979

I'm using Firefox and in order to get the magazine to zoom in and let me scroll up and down to read the article I had to hit F11 and then open the link.

They also break down the teams for the 1979 season and say some interesting things.

Sorry, can't cut and paste from the article.

Wow, 1979 was a strange time. Bobby Knight was in the news, Chrysler was on the verge of going bankrupt, and most of the ads in Sports Illustrated had something to do with alcohol. (Speaking of which, who is the guy on the right for the Natural Light Beer ad... is that Fred Willard?)

Wow, 1979 was a strange time. Bobby Knight was in the news, Chrysler was on the verge of going bankrupt, and most of the ads in Sports Illustrated had something to do with alcohol. (Speaking of which, who is the guy on the right for the Natural Light Beer ad... is that Fred Willard?)

Yes, it is Fred Willard. I noticed that too.

Good times with Jimmy Carter....good times

Wow. Same crap.

How the hell did you find that? lol.

One of the greatest inventions since sliced bread, the SI Vault. EVERY issue of Sports Illustrated, online, searchable, and FREE.

On second thought, better than bread-slicers. You may not see me again for weeks...

I like the article about Tom Cousineau and his bolting to Montreal. That year, the Bills draft yielded Jerry Butler, Smerlas, and Haslett.

The most telling comment in the entire article deals with the front office in the wake of Cousineau going to Canada:

From that moment Buffalo's 1979 draft was destined to be remembered as the one in which the Bills, who have a long history of front-office bungling, fumbled Tom Cousineau.

But another chorus of that old Buffalo favorite, "Wait till next year!"

Man, that's a familiar refrain.