Defending Outside the Box- Angles and Trajectory

patfitz

I have been interested for a number of years about applying some principles and laws of mechanics with respect to defending against FG attempts, particularly those from 45+ yards. And after doing some "napkin" calculations, it appears plausible to me that if a defender of approximately 7 feet tall with a four + foot wingspan and an ability to jump a mimimum of 6 inches off the ground, could feasibly block/interfere with, or deflect a minimum of 20% of field goal attempts if positioned directly behind the nose tackle. This would seem in my opinion to warrant consideration of a dedicated special teams player perhaps someone with a basketball background. In addition for those attempts beyond 55 yards, the same individual according to the math would best be positioned in front of the defending goal posts. I believe that former KC Head Coach Hank Stram applied such an appoach a time or two. He was on to something.

I have been interested for a number of years about applying some principles and laws of mechanics with respect to defending against FG attempts, particularly those from 45+ yards. And after doing some "napkin" calculations, it appears plausible to me that if a defender of approximately 7 feet tall with a four + foot wingspan and an ability to jump a mimimum of 6 inches off the ground, could feasibly block/interfere with, or deflect a minimum of 20% of field goal attempts if positioned directly behind the nose tackle. This would seem in my opinion to warrant consideration of a dedicated special teams player perhaps someone with a basketball background. In addition for those attempts beyond 55 yards, the same individual according to the math would best be positioned in front of the defending goal posts. I believe that former KC Head Coach Hank Stram applied such an appoach a time or two. He was on to something.

Defenders aren't allowed to leave their feet during kick attempts. No?

Defenders aren't allowed to leave their feet during kick attempts. No?

Depends on the situation.

Penalties:

Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or Try- kick

after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up

within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

Goal-tending by a defensive player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the

crossbar of a goalpost is prohibited. The Referee could award three points for a palpably

unfair act (12-3-3).

Its legitimate to try to utilize the rules (some would say accurately gimmick them) to do something outside of the box to get an advantage. This particularly true when the gimmick is not easily replicable as it involves a physically gifted act beyond the norm which is not easily done by everyone.

However, it also is legit in my view to simply change the rules as quickly as the game allows to eliminate this gimmick.

I think a real world example of this was when Steve Tasker adjusted to opposing teams assigning to players to block him when he played gunner on punt returns. Tasker and the Bills responded to this move by having him run out of bounds down the sideline because he was quick enough and his timing an anticipation were good enough he could get back onto the field of play after his unencumbered sprint to make the tackle.

This tactic was eliminated by a simple rule change which made going OB and reentering the field illegal on punt returns.

I think if this tactic were utilized it would last all of one season before a rule was altered to nullify its effectiveness, if it proved to be effective, In fact, ironically, the more effective it proved to be and the more difficult it was to replicate the greater the likelihood it would be eliminated by rule.

If one were to go this direction, I think you actually would not trot it out immediately when the season began (or practice it in pre-season as the rest of the league would go out and recruit their Yao Ming (but instead would attempt to keep it under wraps by adding this mutant to your PS, have him practice this at some high school field, and then activate him and use him against some kicker you think will almost certainly make a difference but is a weird dude (like Vander Jagt a few years ago with Indy. I think one of the prime benefits is that when he took the field he might cause the opposing kicker to alter his kicking routine and plans and this caused him to miss.

I thought we were still talking about defense. My bad.

s'ok.

For discussion, how would you defend that guy? I think you'd almost have to let him catch the ball then try to blow him up so he drops it. You can't really compete for the ball in the air without climbing him. not all 7'7" guys are Shawn Bradley twigs either. Gheorge Muresan (sp?) was a pretty thick guy. Andre the Giant was 7'4".

If Ryan Neufeld is worthy of a roster spot I think the ultimate red zone target/field goal blocker guy is worth a spot.

s'ok.

For discussion, how would you defend that guy? I think you'd almost have to let him catch the ball then try to blow him up so he drops it. You can't really compete for the ball in the air without climbing him. not all 7'7" guys are Shawn Bradley twigs either. Gheorge Muresan (sp?) was a pretty thick guy. Andre the Giant was 7'4".

If Ryan Neufeld is worthy of a roster spot I think the ultimate red zone target/field goal blocker guy is worth a spot.

That is pretty much how I would defend it. Get a guy with a big vertical leap to try to get in his face and distract him, and have someone hit him as soon as he gets the ball.