BOONDOCK SAINTS 2!!!!!!!!!

K-Gun10

I tend to think that a lot of people don't 'get it'.

It was a stylized OTT action comedy in the vein of Desperado.....not Pulp Fiction. All those thinking that it is meant to be like PF are perhaps missing what it is actually meant to be......a bit of fun.

I suppose just as I will never understand how people laugh & laud comedies such as The Naked Gun, 40 year old Virgin or Anchorman there is bound to be plenty of people who will never understand how people like myself laugh & laud Boondock Saints.

To each his own. :doh:

You would have a point if it was meant to be a satirical piece of work. Juts because it turned into one by its cult following doesn't change that the movie is crap.

You would have a point if it was meant to be a satirical piece of work. Juts because it turned into one by its cult following doesn't change that the movie is crap.

I agree. I thought the movie sucked, too. I loved Overnight, which I thought was better than Boondock Saints.

I do, however, have a writer/director friend I have known a long, long time who swears that doc was a piece of garbage, was way off the real story, and that Duffy wasn't nearly that bad. That he just stood up to Harvey W. who totally sabotaged everything. He loves Boondock, and became a good friend of Duffy's though, so he is totally biased. The whole saga is kind of an amazing Hollywood story though.

I agree. I thought the movie sucked, too. I loved Overnight, which I thought was better than Boondock Saints.

I do, however, have a writer/director friend I have known a long, long time who swears that doc was a piece of garbage, was way off the real story, and that Duffy wasn't nearly that bad. That he just stood up to Harvey W. who totally sabotaged everything. He loves Boondock, and became a good friend of Duffy's though, so he is totally biased. The whole saga is kind of an amazing Hollywood story though.

Interesting. Although it take a big leap of faith to see how far off the real story the doc is. Maybe I'm sympathizing with the doc film makers as I worked with a Duffy-incarnation for a year.

Interesting. Although it take a big leap of faith to see how far off the real story the doc is. Maybe I'm sympathizing with the doc film makers as I worked with a Duffy-incarnation for a year.

It could be somewhere in the middle. I wasn't there so I surely don't know the real story, although I believe that Weinstein is capable of that. I tend to believe the doc more myself. My friend, who is a very good guy (and the son of a famous ballplayer), has some very strong opinions about everything. Once he believes in one thing it's impossible to get him off it, so who knows. :doh:

I can see how a lot of people might not like Boondock Saints. The storyline is okay but lacking. The character's and their development have a lot of potential and I think the original would have been better as a series on HBO or Showtime. It would have given people more time to watch the guys go from packing meat to packing heat :beer: .

That being said I like the idea of a sequel and tend to think think a prequel might be just as effective.

But the thing is that I saw the movie not knowing anything about it......I didn't know it was(or was going to be) a 'cult' movie. I certainly enjoyed the movie in and of it's own right without influence. I found it a romp.....lotsa fun.

I fully agree that the movie was crappy......but it was not crap.

The superheroic nature of the characters was consistent.....consistently over the top & unrealistic. Personally I generally get turned off by movies that break the laws of reality/probability. It is usually a pretense that a story is set in our real world & when the laws of the universe are changed in order to progress plot/action that I personally find a true crappyness. BDS was consistent in that it was OTT in a stylized & fun way throughout......it never pretended to be anything other than what it was & therefore deserves the right to be judged from within the universe that it created......similarly with Superhero movies, Desperado, Transporter 2 and any movie which base themselves outside of our normal reality.

In the end, it was a fun action/comedy with style. Just because one does not connect with the comedy or style does not mean that the movie was crap......just that it didn't float certain peoples boats.

It was a stylized OTT action comedy in the vein of Desperado.....not Pulp Fiction. All those thinking that it is meant to be like PF are perhaps missing what it is actually meant to be......a bit of fun.

I know nothing about Boondock Saints but I thought Pulp Fiction was quite a bit if fun; one of the funniest films I've ever seen actually.

I know nothing about Boondock Saints but I thought Pulp Fiction was quite a bit if fun; one of the funniest films I've ever seen actually.

Totally agree about PF being incredibly funny. :lol:

The main difference in styles between BDS & PF is that in BDS the main characters are waaaay OTT heroes whereas PF has odd extraordinary characters. The heroes in BDS are pretty much brilliant in everything that they put their minds to......and the universe seems to bend to them.

I certainly wouldn't assume that if you liked PF that you will like BDS......it's a bit like comparing the Bourne movies with the X-Men 1&2 movies.