Had we not taken Thurman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills were looking for a RB when they drafted Thurman??? why would they have waited another 2 years to get someone else in 1990????

Maybe the question should be, if Thurman was a total bust of a RB and after 2 years the Bills decided to draft Emmitt before the Cowgirls could get to him, would it have made a difference in the SB's and would they have won atleast 1? Or in other words, "Did Thurman Thomas being a HOF RB cost the Bills the chance to win atleast 1 SB?"

If the Bills were looking for a RB when they drafted Thurman??? why would they have waited another 2 years to get someone else in 1990????

Maybe the question should be, if Thurman was a total bust of a RB and after 2 years the Bills decided to draft Emmitt before the Cowgirls could get to him, would it have made a difference in the SB's and would they have won atleast 1? Or in other words, "Did Thurman Thomas being a HOF RB cost the Bills the chance to win atleast 1 SB?"

Sure. And your answer?

You miss part of the point...

The Cowboys would not have been as good..... It is not a Thurman vs Smith argument but would it hurt the Cowboys enough to cost them the two Superbowls?

You've gotta be kidding me. The Dallas offensive line was one of the best in NFL history. The Bills would have been the same team with Smith. Give the Bills the Dallas O-line and they would have most likely won all 4 Super Bowls.

You've gotta be kidding me. The Dallas offensive line was one of the best in NFL history. The Bills would have been the same team with Smith. Give the Bills the Dallas O-line and they would have most likely won all 4 Super Bowls.

Smith is the NFL all time leading rusher. I think he might have had some skills.....

Or am I wrong?

No doubt the Dallas line was terrific but with a different running back would they have dominated?

Smith is the NFL all time leading rusher. I think he might have had some skills.....

Or am I wrong?

No doubt the Dallas line was terrific but with a different running back would they have dominated?

THe Dallas line was better than Emmitt Smith, period. Of course Smith had skills, AND, longevity. Without that line though, E. Smith, Aikman and Irvin would be reduced to good, not great, players.

That Dallas line was incredible period. Replacing Thomas with Smith would have done zero to help the Bills. If anything, it might have hurt them a bit because Smith wasn't as good a pass catcher as Thomas.

THe Dallas line was better than Emmitt Smith, period. Of course Smith had skills, AND, longevity. Without that line though, E. Smith, Aikman and Irvin would be reduced to good, not great, players.

That Dallas line was incredible period. Replacing Thomas with Smith would have done zero to help the Bills. If anything, it might have hurt them a bit because Smith wasn't as good a pass catcher as Thomas.

Would Dallas still have won the superbowl without Emmitt?

Would Dallas still have won the superbowl without Emmitt?

Most likely. If Timmy Smith can win it in Washington behind the hogs, an average runner, who would become better than average behind that line, would easily have lead those Dallas teams to SB's. Their line wore down opponents every week. Aikman had just as much time to throw as Brady does today.

Best line ever.

Most likely. If Timmy Smith can win it in Washington behind the hogs, an average runner, who would become better than average behind that line, would easily have lead those Dallas teams to SB's. Their line wore down opponents every week. Aikman had just as much time to throw as Brady does today.

Best line ever.

Interesting points... I am not sure Dallas would have gotten by the 49ers..

Or am I wrong?

I think game day playcalling and partying the night before had its effect. Thomas nor Smith were dummies. Smith was superior at following blockers...Thomas was not a slouch there either.

I think a couple of the Bills' SB losses were due to better prep by the opposition.

Interesting points... I am not sure Dallas would have gotten by the 49ers..

That's the only point I was also thinking of. Could they have beaten the 9er's. I'd still say yes, although it could have went either way. I personally don't think much would have changed with the Cowboys not having Emmitt.

That's the only point I was also thinking of. Could they have beaten the 9er's. I'd still say yes, although it could have went either way. I personally don't think much would have changed with the Cowboys not having Emmitt.

Fair enough.

Do you think the Bills would have beaten the 49ers in those Superbowls?

Fair enough.

Do you think the Bills would have beaten the 49ers in those Superbowls?

Tough to say, but I think they would have matched up better. SF was slightly more of a finesse team, and that would have suited the Bills better. Tough to say. I'd give the edge to SF, but I think the Bills would have stood a much better chance.

Tough to say, but I think they would have matched up better. SF was slightly more of a finesse team, and that would have suited the Bills better. Tough to say. I'd give the edge to SF, but I think the Bills would have stood a much better chance.

That is what I have thought for the past few years.. Probably since the day I revisited a old draft page and saw that the Bills selected JD WILLIAMS 1 pick before Emmitt Smith...

I think game day playcalling and partying the night before had its effect. Thomas nor Smith were dummies. Smith was superior at following blockers...Thomas was not a slouch there either.

I think a couple of the Bills' SB losses were due to better prep by the opposition.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJqTIlfPFg

"The nfc west is one of the worst conferences in the entire NFC"

I know you meant as a runner, but his analysis cracks me up every time.