I now fully trust the front office

Adam

Not that that means anything- I am sure that is not a relief for them, nor will it affect their future plans (I hope)

Despite our desperate need for upgradeS at WR, they did not overspend on what may very well be a mediocre player. I hope they follow that in the draft- when you over reach for need, you lose. If Kelly and either Ellis or Dorsey is there, I hope we go with the DT.

If you have enough playmakers on your team, it usually will compensate for deficiencies. Acting on desperation can be costly, and this front office earned my respect by holding back and being smart about that

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree, they have to address their shortcoming at WR and DB going into next season or I fear our record will remain close to the same.... Out of the playoffs.

Fixing the line helps the secondary. Stroud by himself doesn't fix the line

Not that that means anything- I am sure that is not a relief for them, nor will it affect their future plans (I hope)

Despite our desperate need for upgradeS at WR, they did not overspend on what may very well be a mediocre player. I hope they follow that in the draft- when you over reach for need, you lose. If Kelly and either Ellis or Dorsey is there, I hope we go with the DT.

If you have enough playmakers on your team, it usually will compensate for deficiencies. Acting on desperation can be costly, and this front office earned my respect by holding back and being smart about that

I agree with you. The Giants have shown the way to beat the Pats (and other teams) is with a PASS RUSH. IF a QUALITY DL is available I would hope the Bills take him. This draft is HEAVY @ WR, we can get a good #2 in the 2nd round. I am happy with what the Bills have done the last 2 drafts, & expect this year to be no different.

Guess you forgot about Johnson.

No, I didn't. He replaced Triplett....leaving us a little bit ahead of where we were. Think he can be as good as Ellis or Dorsey? What happens if we take a second rate WR this year and to make up for that, we pass a top tier WR next year for a 2nd rate defensive lineman. Its not all about the now. You have to build, and get the best available player while you can, and scheme to cover weakneses and accentuate strengths

You now completely trust the front office just because they didn't give an average receiver big bucks? Besides giving your trust based on one decision, you're kinda grading on a curve aren't you? I mean, I'm extremely nice to kids, but even I don't praise them or put complete faith in them just because one time they walked by an electric socket without sticking their tongue in it. I sorta just expect them not to do that.

I used to have trust in the front office. But after so many bad seasons in a row, they lost my trust, and they won't fully regain it until they do something really praise-worthy, like make the playoffs.

You now completely trust the front office just because they didn't give an average receiver big bucks? Besides giving your trust based on one decision, you're kinda grading on a curve aren't you? I mean, I'm extremely nice to kids, but even I don't praise them or put complete faith in them just because one time they walked by an electric socket without sticking their tongue in it. I sorta just expect them not to do that.

I used to have trust in the front office. But after so many bad seasons in a row, they lost my trust, and they won't fully regain it until they do something really praise-worthy, like make the playoffs.

The front office has had 2+ years on which to judge them, not one decision. THEY HAVE MY TRUST @ this point.

No, I didn't. He replaced Triplett....leaving us a little bit ahead of where we were. Think he can be as good as Ellis or Dorsey? What happens if we take a second rate WR this year and to make up for that, we pass a top tier WR next year for a 2nd rate defensive lineman. Its not all about the now. You have to build, and get the best available player while you can, and scheme to cover weakneses and accentuate strengths

DT is no longer one of the top needs on this team.

we had the same holes last year at WR.

Last year's free agent plan was the same as this year's - do nothing.

Based on prior history of being forced into drafting specific positions - the Bills will reach for a WR at #11 who will take 3 years to become productcive - just in time for the next coach.

I think the front office has done a very good job the last two years in the current rebuilding effort. Anyone who thinks they haven't done anything in FA this season has had their head buried in the sand. We had a LOT of holes that needed to be plugged to keep the ship from sinking and signing Mitchell, Stroud, and Johnson will keep the defensive ship afloat next season. Now we need to be smart and draft to fill the other three need positions on this team: WR, CB, TE. Once we take care of those, then you draft for depth. There is a lot of talent at DT this year as well that can be had in the 3rd round. We DO NOT need to draft a DT in the first round this year. That said we don't have to take a receiver first either. James Hardy will be there in the second and we could easily get him at that point. Also, I highly suspect the FO will trade down in the first round and acquire an add'l 2nd rounder. If they do that, we could draft a top CB in the First, and grab Hardy at WR and Fred Davis at TE in the second. Then start drafting depth in the third round and later. That would be the BEST thing this FO could do.

Stroud and McCargo are a big upgrade from Triplett and Williams.

They may be, but remember the Bills rotate their DL linemen and Williams is part of that rotation. The BIlls will still pick another DT to help the rotation.

Not as long as we're happy with being a 7-9 team year in and out like all the inept NFL franchises that think like that.

On the other hand, if you look at the teams making the playoffs year after year with multiple DTs selected at the top of the draft mixed into rotations of 6 and sometimes even 7 interior DLinemen, we might want to consider throwing out the Detriot Lion strategy you are happy with and pay attention to how the good teams do it.

Not as long as we're happy with being a 7-9 team year in and out like all the inept NFL franchises that think like that.

On the other hand, if you look at the teams making the playoffs year after year with multiple DTs selected at the top of the draft mixed into rotations of 6 and sometimes even 7 interior DLinemen, we might want to consider throwing out the Detriot Lion strategy you are happy with and pay attention to how the good teams do it.

Touched a nerve, did I?

I wouldn't be unhappy with Ellis, as he can rotate to DE as well, but a better decision would be to trade down.

I agree. This offseason was essential for putting faith in our front office; not just because of the signing of Mitchel or the trade of Stroud, or even not overpaying for Johnson. But also, other things coming together, previous decisions that used to be in question, such as trading McGahee, Spikes, Holcomb, and Darwin Walker, picking a QB in the 3rd round last year, and even as far back as letting Moulds walk. We questioned the front office and Marv quite heavily, and now, this offseason, it is starting to look like they were right all along. I have a confidence in them, and in their drafting abilities, that I haven't had in years. Now, we need to take the next step and make the post-season.

While I think Stroud and Johnson are great additions, and that I believe Stroud will pan out, you can't completely ignore his injury and the fact that he MIGHT not return to form. Also, we can't assume that McCargo will become great either. Personally, I believe that both Stroud and McCargo will produce, but if they both go the other way, we are in serious trouble and you can't ignore that possibility.