HBO miniseries about John Adams

Yes, I posted a link to this before the apocalypse. Alas, Babylon.

Rave reviews from all sectors--recommended viewing for Americans who can't read.

http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/

From the WSJ review today.

"John Adams," HBO's seven-part miniseries about the Founding Father who became America's second president, has something for everyone (beginning Sunday from 8-10:45 p.m. EDT, and from 9-10 p.m. on subsequent Sundays). On one level, it is a lesson in nation building that no one who sees it will ever forget again, even if they are not moved to tears by the opening sight of ancient flags and banners with their slogans -- "Join, Or Die" and "Don't Tread on Me" -- restored to full glory and significance.

By the time Adams is dispatched to France we have come to know him as a cauldron of what, even today, are held up as typical American virtues and sensibilities: He's fun loving yet sober living, ambitious yet insecure, passionate about freedom and unafraid to speak his mind; but ill at ease with the dance of diplomacy. So it is that when Adams joins Ben Franklin (Tom Wilkinson gives him a delicious nasty side) in Paris, the shock of what he sees there cuts us like a knife. As America fights and bleeds to be born, the aristocrats on whose money that birth depends are decadent fops. Amid the repugnant banter and coquettery, lapdogs graze atop dinner tables laden with sweets and pee at will on their owners' silks and satins. With their painted lips and powdered faces (women too), his hosts look like death itself.

Never has the contrast between the new world and the old -- one thrusting and vibrant, the other corrupt and exhausted -- been more clear. In one of the most demented scenes ever filmed, Adams is compelled to pass the hat among these awful people, handing out American flags in return for their tossed coins. His misery, and ours, is profound.

Yes, I posted a link to this before the apocalypse. Alas, Babylon.

Rave reviews from all sectors--recommended viewing for Americans who can't read.

http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/

From the WSJ review today.

I hope it's better than that Series "Rome." Looks real interesting actually:

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/review/2008/03/13/john_adams/

Based on the book by David McCullough and directed by Tom Hooper, "John Adams" counterbalances heroism -- this was a man who helped to liberate the colonies from British rule, after all -- with dreary details: Abigail Adams is left at home with her children in the dead of winter, while her husband is off fine-tuning the language of the Declaration of Independence with other noble men. Abigail writes John love letters, sure, but she's also forced to grab a rifle and run to the door of their farmhouse at any sign of trouble. She and the kids witness haunting sights of injured Americans return from battle with the redcoats. And in the hopes of dodging the smallpox epidemic, the family endures a gruesome inoculation. Yes, here are the perils that were foreshadowed in that first wintry scene!

I read his book 1776 and it was great, so I'm sure this book was good, too.

1776 was an afterthought for McCullough. He gathered so much material writing John Adams that he used some of that to write about that year. I liked 1776 but it doesn't hold a candle to John Adams. (Or for that matter his books about Harry Truman, The Great Bridge (about the Brooklyn Bridge), Path Between the Seas (Panama Canal), Mornings on Horseback (Teddy Roosevelt).

McCullough is a national treasure. I wish he were 30 years younger.

1776 was an afterthought for McCullough. He gathered so much material writing John Adams that he used some of that to write about that year. I liked 1776 but it doesn't hold a candle to John Adams. (Or for that matter his books about Harry Truman, The Great Bridge (about the Brooklyn Bridge), Path Between the Seas (Panama Canal), Mornings on Horseback (Teddy Roosevelt).

McCullough is a national treasure. I wish he were 30 years younger.

The Great Bridge and John Adams were masterpieces (the former is my favorite of his). I also thought 1776 got way more hype than it deserved, relative to his other works. The Johnstown Flood book was very good as well.

I'm expecting the miniseries to be very good at least and I'm in agreement with you that I'd like another 30 years worth of McCullough books.

I hope it's better than that Series "Rome." Looks real interesting actually:

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/review/2008/03/13/john_adams/

Based on the book by David McCullough and directed by Tom Hooper, "John Adams" counterbalances heroism -- this was a man who helped to liberate the colonies from British rule, after all -- with dreary details: Abigail Adams is left at home with her children in the dead of winter, while her husband is off fine-tuning the language of the Declaration of Independence with other noble men. Abigail writes John love letters, sure, but she's also forced to grab a rifle and run to the door of their farmhouse at any sign of trouble. She and the kids witness haunting sights of injured Americans return from battle with the redcoats. And in the hopes of dodging the smallpox epidemic, the family endures a gruesome inoculation. Yes, here are the perils that were foreshadowed in that first wintry scene!

So maybe you libs will learn something about liberty, freedom and tyranny. That fighting for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness does come with major sacrifice and God forbid, war. The liberals of today wouldn’t have fought this war with Briton. We would still be an English colony if it was up to the likes of Molson.

The radicals and liberals of the time were our original patriots because they fought for freedom against tyranny with everything to lose in return for liberty. The liberals of today are not patriots, they are communists.

The liberals of today don’t want liberty for the people, they want the government to have it. They don’t believe in the constitution, they want to rewrite it. They don’t want us to make our own decisions; they want to do it for us. They want to tax, tax, tax and tell us what we should earn, how we eat, how we raise our kids, what health insurance we should have, etc.

"The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If 'Thou shalt not covet' and 'Thou shalt not steal' were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before it can be civilized or made free."

-- John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America, 1787

"Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

-- John Adams, letter to John Taylor, April 15, 1814

"[The purpose of a written constitution is] to bind up the several branches of government by certain laws, which, when they transgress, their acts shall become nullities; to render unnecessary an appeal to the people, or in other words a rebellion, on every infraction of their rights, on the peril that their acquiescence shall be construed into an intention to surrender those rights."

-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia [1782]

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare but only those specifically enumerated."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"[T]he powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its

jurisdiction."

-- James Madison, Speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention [June 6, 1788]

So maybe you libs will learn something about liberty, freedom and tyranny. That fighting for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness does come with major sacrifice and God forbid, war. The liberals of today wouldn’t have fought this war with Briton. We would still be an English colony if it was up to the likes of Molson.

The radicals and liberals of the time were our original patriots because they fought for freedom against tyranny with everything to lose in return for liberty. The liberals of today are not patriots, they are communists.

The liberals of today don’t want liberty for the people, they want the government to have it. They don’t believe in the constitution, they want to rewrite it. They don’t want us to make our own decisions; they want to do it for us. They want to tax, tax, tax and tell us what we should earn, how we eat, how we raise our kids, what health insurance we should have, etc.

That's funny stuff, you should write for Glenn Beck. I read this and think of Fred Thompson getting all red in the face telling Sam Waterson what a liberal weenie he is.

Fred in 08 is back from the dead! The "Snooze 'til you lose" campaign continues!

You are an !@#$. Can you ever NOT do this liberal-bashing public masturbation?

If you think John Adams and the others would deign to wipe their ass with the Republican party and Fred Thompson, you're dumber than you already seem. You think those founding fathers gave a sh-- about the government's opinion on gays and abortion, ugh, why am I even talking to you? Odds of you understanding a word over 3 syllables=0%.

The founding of this country is certainly a story about some heroes, but don't get confused (look who I'm talking to...never mind...this is for other readers), after the war, it quickly evolved to petty squabbles and political wranglings that would make the current participants blush. If you knew anything about history, especially of that time, you might have a clue that it took no time for people to get right back to petty politics after the Revolution. The caustic attacks on Washington and Adams late in Washington's second term and throughout Adams' show one thing: people are often more united and strong during times of strife. Once the strife is over, they race back to the pissy fights.

If you think John Adams and the others would deign to wipe their ass with the Republican party and Fred Thompson, you're dumber than you already seem. You think those founding fathers gave a sh-- about the government's opinion on gays and abortion, ugh, why am I even talking to you? Odds of you understanding a word over 3 syllables=0%.

You got that right brother.

The founding of this country is certainly a story about some heroes, but don't get confused (look who I'm talking to...never mind...this is for other readers), after the war, it quickly evolved to petty squabbles and political wranglings that would make the current participants blush. If you knew anything about history, especially of that time, you might have a clue that it took no time for people to get right back to petty politics after the Revolution. The caustic attacks on Washington and Adams late in Washington's second term and throughout Adams' show one thing: people are often more united and strong during times of strife. Once the strife is over, they race back to the pissy fights.

You just made my point Jacka$$. The Federal gov’t should not give a sh-- about gays and abortion but somehow the Federal Gov’t got involved didn’t it! What ever happened the enumerable rights in the constitution?

What ever happened to States rights? Remember that John Adams, the 10 Amendment?

Here, I'll remind you:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Where in the constitution does it say anything about gays and abortion?

You Libs are all talk but don’t back it up with facts. I’m not talking about little petty politics; I’m talking about our constitution, freedom, and the rule of law. Something the Libs seem to ignore and resort to name calling since they can’t back up their progressive ideas based on any foundation in the law.

You Libs are all talk but don’t back it up with facts. I’m not talking about little petty politics; I’m talking about our constitution, freedom, and the rule of law. Something the Libs seem to ignore and resort to name calling since they can’t back up their progressive ideas based on any foundation of law.

I know that dude. He's less liberal than any of the Republicans you're slobbering over.

You just made my point Jacka$$. The Federal gov’t should not give a sh-- about gays and abortion but somehow the Federal Gov’t got involved didn’t it! What ever happened the enumerable rights in the constitution?

What ever happened to States rights? Remember that John Adams, the 10 Amendment?

Here, I'll remind you:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

You Libs are all talk but don’t back it up with facts. I’m not talking about little petty politics; I’m talking about our constitution, freedom, and the rule of law. Something the Libs seem to ignore and resort to name calling since they can’t back up their progressive ideas based on any foundation of law.

You dingleberry. It's the Republicans of the world (Thompson among the more palatable of them) running as roughshod over the Constitution as the liberals you race to condemn.

The RIGHT (not the left) seeks to limit marriage (by amending the Constitution for !@#$'s sake). It also wants to pass laws RE abortion. You think these two small examples are the only examples of the Republican Party ignoring the section of the constitution you cite.

Try to stay on point and keep the focus on your failings--ignoring for once the failings of the Democrats. Can you do it?

You dingleberry. It's the Republicans of the world (Thompson among the more palatable of them) running as roughshod over the Constitution as the liberals you race to condemn.

The RIGHT (not the left) seeks to limit marriage (by amending the Constitution for !@#$'s sake). It also wants to pass laws RE abortion. You think these two small examples are the only examples of the Republican Party ignoring the section of the constitution you cite.

Try to stay on point and keep the focus on your failings--ignoring for once the failings of the Democrats. Can you do it?

Dingleberry? There's something quite refreshing knowing the founding fathers, when in a heated debate about the direction of the country they were creating, call each other dingleberry.

Dingleberry? There's something quite refreshing knowing the founding fathers, when in a heated debate about the direction of the country they were creating, call each other dingleberry.

I'm sure Ben was searching for something that wouldn't get the comic strip censorship.

Here, I'll remind you:

You Libs are all talk but don’t back it up with facts. I’m not talking about little petty politics; I’m talking about our constitution, freedom, and the rule of law. Something the Libs seem to ignore and resort to name calling since they can’t back up their progressive ideas based on any foundation in the law.

Stay on point Freddy. We're not talking about the Democrats. We're talking about the Republicans running roughshod over the Constitution.

(On my list of amendments that I lose sleep about the Feral government ignoring, the 10th is the least of my concerns.)

Well toilet paper wasn't universally available back then, so I'm sure our founding fathers were quite familiar with dingleberries.